Philosophical Question: Are defeats/disappointments necessary to enjoy the game?

As per the title. My scenario, away to York in a play-off position clash. A good game with both teams missing chances to score. After 93 mins it is 0-0, they get a free kick and score to win 1-0. I am naturally gutted but it didn't half make the next game's 3-0 win more satisfying. So does losing matches or missing out on cups/promotion etc. make when you do suceed more worthwhile? I think if you win every match without failure then it would get boring quickly. And I kind of like a 3-2 win more than a 1-0 win where my tactics are spot on but the game has few chances.

Supplementary question : is it wrong to celebrate loudly when you score a late winner? Family seems to think so.

Short answer- yes, no

There is no doubt in my mind that the sweet feeling of success is amplified by previous failure, regardless of the fixture or the competition.

For the answer to Q2, see the answer to Q1 above

Agree with FrazT. :thup:

On FM07, I was stuck in the Championship for six years, failing to get promotion in no less than four play-offs. When I finally got that elusive promotion in season seven - by winning the league, I might add - it was a truly marvellous feeling, especially when remembering those play-off final defeats where my players had previously bottled it!

Regards,

C.

I need failure to enjoy the game.

Nearly every save of mine becomes boring one I become the biggest/best club in the world and end up winning every single competition each and every year. There's no challenge left.

My biggest enjoyment are in saves where you're there or there abouts, and you never know if you're going to go into a big game and win it.

Not necessary but it helps. Went from strength to strength on 09 but there were times I'd wished for a more varied career, though I knew full well that if I did get one I'd wish for the success again. I still kept going regardless and I treasure that run as a golden era for me no matter what. In contrast to 10 when I had a shaky start before doing very well (though trophyless) which ended badly, had 2 failed stints in different countries before arriving in a country (Ukraine) I'd never managed before. In my 1st season (my 10th on the game) I won the cup to finally get my 1st trophy, followed that up in succession with a record high league position (which I'd just miseed out on the previous season), a league and cup double and the retention of the league. I can't say for sure that the previous failures makes this sweeter then my consistent 09 success. I think probably yes but not massively so. Success comes in all forms and large-scale consistent success and occasional long-awaited success can't really be compared objectively.

Yeah, I think they probably are.

With 10.1 I'd got to a stage where I was winning every match 4-0, 5-0, 6-0, 7-0 and was starting to get a bit bored after my 4th Champions League title with Sunderland, but after installing 10.2 it's mixed things up enough and added enough disappointments to make the game interesting again. :cool:

And yes, it's ok to cheer, punch the air, dance round the room, pretend your pets are interviewers for Sky TV, and buy a replica shirt with the name of an FM regen on the back.

I think losing is integral to the game. I lost the FA cup final to Arsenal and went away, improved my squad and came back in the Community Shield (I'd won the league) and beat them 2-1 which prompted a loud cheer even though the FA Cup carries a lot more prestige

Q1

Yes. If you just kept winning all the time you'd quickly become bored. I'm sure everyone would rather be fighting in either a scrappy title race or relegation battle, than winning the league by 30 points for the 20th season in a row. You can have too much of a good thing.

Q2. It's not just late winners which I celebrate :(

If I get a save where my team is winning with ease I tend to take control of another team in addition to provide some competition (managing the teams separate of each other). On the save I'm playing now it's Barcelona, Valencia, and A.C. Milan.

No, defeats are not required for me to enjoy the game (it's an interesting psychological question as well). There would be no difference in my enjoyment levels if I always won, I certainly wouldn't get bored (I play for fun, not some artificial challenge).

Archived