Most annoying bug - my keeper will not claim the ball

Foster just conceded his 2nd goal against tottenham

Jeez all i could do was watch as tottenham played a long ball behind my defence,

in which the ball was closer to my keeper than the attacking player running on to it

Instead of ben foster, who was already off his goal line, to just pick it up

guess what he does?

go on guess?

He stands there

off his goal line

waiting

The attacking player takes it an easily runs at an angle to slot it in an open goal

And i cant even sub foster or find a new keeper because its not actually his fault (if you get what i mean)

Its just a coding error

Ah well

welcome to 10.2 while many whine about super keepers whose doesnt even exist..

many seem to ignore the fact that keepers started doing those appealing mistakes one after another .. which werent happening before..

player reaction in general is still non existent in me

attacking players never react to bounced off ball , gah i hate that one so much..

so many goals irl comes from penalty box skirmishes and bounces off players or keeper..

in game there are no such thing.. you can have 5 players in penalty area.. one will strike keeper it will bounce off.. and catchable speed and but noone will react.. and its like that all the time

same goes for defenders.. when they dont react to balls.. and goalkeepers

player reaction is biggest flaw currently in game

while me does feel less like pre scripted game after patch.. it still feels like one..

In a number of such cases it's likely a poor graphical representation rather than an ME issue. For example, while it may appear a GK has just stood still, perhaps they have been wrong footed or caught off guard, and particularly if not a very top player, they may not be able to react mentally quickly enough or have the reflexes and anticipation to regain their composure.

Again with defenders, while it may seem that they aren't closing down or moving, again they may be poor readers of the game and/or have been wrong footed by perhaps a cross, a through ball, or a turn of pace. With both attackers and defenders, unless the player is an excellent and consistant reader of the game, they may not be able to react instantaniously to chances and may thus either be too slow to react - or may lack composure or anticipation to make the most of the situation.

Again it could also be a case of a poor graphical representation. While it may seem a player hasn't reacted, in actual fact they may be caught off-guard or slow at reading the game. Since 10.2 especially there has been a marked improvement in closing down, marking and general reading of both defensive and attacking play - and this shows and results in a very good and realistic playing experience.

There seems to be time and again an issue on here with some people expecting less than perfect players to constantly play otherwise. :confused:

The graphical anomolies can be amusing as well as frustrating though. I had one of my players get fouled and he proceeded to fall over about five times in a row - like a Max Headroom video. I agree that a lot of what looks like bad defending etc. is down to the graphical representation. One example being my player got caught in possession and got tackled; the opponent then ran away from the ball allowing my player who got tackled to regain possession. Not too sure what that was meant to represent but gave me a laugh anyway.

nothing like clueless ppl coming and commenting that its due poor goalkeeper or poor defenders, having wonderkid regen keeper which became main italy keeper at age of 20 years, and superstar by 21 , and is nothing short of amazing and saying its cuz of his crappy skills?

same for defenders.. i got 2 dc and they both always make into defender of the year award.. winning first and third spot usually , so no...

i wouldnt call is graphical glitch.. cuz its not.. you clearly never been playing any other games..

poor representation , well in a case maybe , but since its all over the place, and general player reaction in the game.. and before 10.2 the match engine was so predictable,

no to mention whole strafing to get ball.. moving slowly , cuz he will get ball, anyway since it was decided like that.. who didnt saw your defender walk at turtle speed after corner was cleared...cuz no matter at what speed opponent runs , my guy will get ball.. there are countless like that

not to mention there is never reaction to bounced ball while attacking.. that makes me puke seeing striker who was third best striker in europe just stand there.. and it doesnt matter what player, what position.. most of the time players never react.. to ball, cuz game is still calculating who will get and how.. by that time. yes its slow

so stop defending me, its still pile of crap, and at this rate it will take another 50 years, before fm have best looking sport game in the marked , and yes they said that.. its their goal to have best looking sport game in the market ...

You're misinterpreting my words and only hearing what you want to hear. I don't quite understand your points either - commas all over the place and text speech.

I'll simplify it..

- Players aren't perfect, and thus should not be expected to play perfectly. A world-class goalie is still only human and still concedes goals, and even the best defences can always be breached. Do you really think that a top GK never makes mistakes, or that the best defenders win 100% of headers, tackles, tussles - and always have the beating of strikers?

- Small attribute changes can have a big impact, with just a few points different in a stat like anticipation or positioning being the difference between a good and a great GK for example. A GK with 20 for bravery may be much better at dealing with the kind of ball the OP mentioned than one with 15.

- It often IS a graphical issue rather than an ME one, as you seem to be underestimating the complexity of it and the time it'll take to perfect the graphics.

- What exactly do you mean by me never playing other games? Are you suggesting perhaps that games like CM (with a hugely exploitable ME) or games like FIFA Manager which rarely represent real football - not to mention the fact that the players are huge and the game is hugely biased in attacking favour, with development focussed on pointless inclusions - are more realistic in game play? If you are I suggest you watch some football.

- FM's engine is by far the most realistic out there, and if you want imperfect players to play perfect football then you're perhaps playing the wrong game.

- I'm not denying that there may be issues, but please at least back up your claims that it is with some kind of evidence rather than by exagerating and only looking at the negatives. For every time a striker fails to react to a loose ball, for instance, or your DC is beaten to a long ball by a striker better reading the game, count how many times such goes in YOUR favour.

- If you want the best game, suggest how to actually make it better, and if you don't like it - don't play it.

- FM aren't looking for the best looking game in the market in the immediate future, they're looking for the best playing, most realistic and most engrossing football management game. They've succeeded. If/when they say they want the best looking game, they mean in terms primarily of how the game represents real football.

Yeh I think this issue is annoying and has bugged me.

I think the issue is not the match engine here, but just the way the 3D represents it. It is sort of like how the goalie sometimes "sucks the ball" 3 yards away into his arm when it seems like the attacker can toe poke it home.

These "bugs" seem to be meerly cosmetic and hopefully in 2011-2012 editions the 3D engine will be enhanced to a point where we do not get annoyed by things that look unrealistic. (A poor representation of the 3D engine).

:)

I'd be interested to know what the commentary/match report says at the moment Foster makes this 'error'. It may give an idea of what is going on.

I think the theory that this is just an error in the graphical representation is the reality.

We also have just your view of the incident and anger and frustration often leads to a mistelling of the facts. Too true, also, that is this had been a goal you scored then we probably never would have heard of it.

I've gone back to just having match commentary. You can learn to tell within the first 15 mins if you're side is up against it or not, via possession stats and the type of chances each team creates (and misses).

I know that which ever team has the better players & form is most likely to win. Much less frustrating and time consuming than the ME.

I've gone back to just having match commentary. You can learn to tell within the first 15 mins if you're side is up against it or not, via possession stats and the type of chances each team creates (and misses).

I know that which ever team has the better players & form is most likely to win. Much less frustrating and time consuming than the ME.

Me too. 2D has always annoyed me, and 3D is even worse. Watching the games with a split screen, the team names, scores and scorers on one side, and the match stats on the other. The match commentary seems realistic enough so I always use this.

Thought every keeper wore a cape and mask and could stop a rocket shot with just some sticky tape nowadays?

Chances are Foster made a mistake and graphically it showed him as just standing there rather than slipping or whatever, it happens. My goalie for example in the playoff final dropped a cross to the feet of the Swindon striker in the 90th minute, literally just dropped it after he caught it and took it into extra time.

In a number of such cases it's likely a poor graphical representation rather than an ME issue. For example, while it may appear a GK has just stood still, perhaps they have been wrong footed or caught off guard, and particularly if not a very top player, they may not be able to react mentally quickly enough or have the reflexes and anticipation to regain their composure.

Again with defenders, while it may seem that they aren't closing down or moving, again they may be poor readers of the game and/or have been wrong footed by perhaps a cross, a through ball, or a turn of pace. With both attackers and defenders, unless the player is an excellent and consistant reader of the game, they may not be able to react instantaniously to chances and may thus either be too slow to react - or may lack composure or anticipation to make the most of the situation.

Again it could also be a case of a poor graphical representation. While it may seem a player hasn't reacted, in actual fact they may be caught off-guard or slow at reading the game. Since 10.2 especially there has been a marked improvement in closing down, marking and general reading of both defensive and attacking play - and this shows and results in a very good and realistic playing experience.

There seems to be time and again an issue on here with some people expecting less than perfect players to constantly play otherwise. :confused:

If poor graphical representation is the case(which it may well be, i dont think SI have said either way?) then all this does is cause chaos and frustration in FM'ers, whilst if the issue is tactical in nature then all that does is cause choas and frustration in FM'ers.

Either way it takes me back to one of my previous arguments that if your supposed to watch matches via the ME to understand what is wrong with your tactic/s, then the ME cannot do its job, which is why i still claim that the game in its current state is still very poor and why the sophistication the game promises is not actually there.

These kinds of issues need to be cleared up once and for all before FM will ever be a decent game again.

If poor graphical representation is the case(which it may well be, i dont think SI have said either way?) then all this does is cause chaos and frustration in FM'ers, whilst if the issue is tactical in nature then all that does is cause choas and frustration in FM'ers.

Either way it takes me back to one of my previous arguments that if your supposed to watch matches via the ME to understand what is wrong with your tactic/s, then the ME cannot do its job, which is why i still claim that the game in its current state is still very poor and why the sophistication the game promises is not actually there.

These kinds of issues need to be cleared up once and for all before FM will ever be a decent game again.

I don't think it causes chaos and frustration though, the commentary said Foster made a mistake, and the match engine had foster standing there not moving. Well that is a mistake indeed, he could have been wrong footed or slipped, something which will probably be there in future iterations but for the moment "he has made a mistake" and stands there looking daft seems reasonable to me.

I don't think it causes chaos and frustration though, the commentary said Foster made a mistake, and the match engine had foster standing there not moving. Well that is a mistake indeed, he could have been wrong footed or slipped, something which will probably be there in future iterations but for the moment "he has made a mistake" and stands there looking daft seems reasonable to me.

Its not in the slightest bit reasonable at all, what if a high percentage of goals you concede are in this manner?

In my games, even since the latest patch 90% of the goals i concede are from either "25 yard plus supergoals" or "individual player error" if this was not the case i would practically never lose.

I need to know if the goals i concede are tactical related, why can an AI player with a long shot stat of 6 fire in a couple of wonder goals from 30 yards when being closed down by at least two of my defenders, yet my own players with 15+ long shot stats keep hitting row z from 20 yards whilst completely unmarked?

And why do AI defenders with very poor stats including concentration, defend perfectly for 90 minutes, whilst my quality defenders continue to make individual error after error, even though they are clearly much better players with a high concentration stat.

(i brought concentration into it because one of the in game pop-ups explains a lack of concentration as a reason for individual player errors)

Chances are if you are conceding long shot goals too often (which is down 20% since 10.2) then you are not closing down enough, if your defenders are making too many mistakes then you are either asking them to do too much, or they are not getting the protection they need from midfield and are under too much pressure resulting in mistakes.

It doesn't matter how good you are as a defender, if you are under too much pressure a lot of the time you will make a mistake and that will most likely result in a goal .

Chances are if you are conceding long shot goals too often (which is down 20% since 10.2) then you are not closing down enough, if your defenders are making too many mistakes then you are either asking them to do too much, or they are not getting the protection they need from midfield and are under too much pressure resulting in mistakes.

It doesn't matter how good you are as a defender, if you are under too much pressure a lot of the time you will make a mistake and that will most likely result in a goal .

Now if you got this kind of feedback in the game then the game would work, graphically my players are closing down as is their instructions which should be more than enough without completely losing their shape. The same with defending, the opposition are rarely in the final third and even if they are there are more than enough players back to cope.

Like i keep saying, get the feedback and the ME representation right and you have yourself a great game, at the moment its far from that.

Now if you got this kind of feedback in the game then the game would work, graphically my players are closing down as is their instructions which should be more than enough without completely losing their shape. The same with defending, the opposition are rarely in the final third and even if they are there are more than enough players back to cope.

Like i keep saying, get the feedback and the ME representation right and you have yourself a great game, at the moment its far from that.

The feedback you get from your Ass Man, he says that sort of thing.

Archived