Basic PC/Mac Questions

Hey guys,

Well, I'm planning on getting the game tomorrow, but I just have a question about the game:

I have a PC and my brother has a Mac... If I buy the PC/Mac version of the game, would we both be able to install the game from that one disc?

I know I might sound like an idiot right now, but I'm quite unfamiliar with PC games...

Cheers

As far as I am aware the game will work on both the PC and the Mac. Whether you can install one copy on 2 different machines for two different users I am not positive on.

Personally I would have thought it moved in to the realms of piracy for two users to play off the same copy of the game. For one thing if you install the game without Steam you would have to have the disk in the drive to play so you could not both play at the same time. You also have to activate with a code to install via Steam and I wouldn't have thought you could activate two installs at a time.

I'd say NO. Both buy it.

Have to be careful what you say on these forums, illegitimate use of the FM software is quite rightly frowned upon and leads to bannings. If you spent your own valuable time making something and everyone bought one copy between them and just shared it then you'd feel somewhat peeved and cheated.

I'm trying to be both friendly to you and damning of piracy/illegitimate use of FM here. I don't think you really know what you are asking so I don't think there's any need to be harsh to you, but you are essentially asking if you can pay once for a game that more than one person is going to own, i.e. your brother gets it free.

As far as I am aware the game will work on both the PC and the Mac. Whether you can install one copy on 2 different machines for two different users I am not positive on.

Personally I would have thought it moved in to the realms of piracy for two users to play off the same copy of the game. For one thing if you install the game without Steam you would have to have the disk in the drive to play so you could not both play at the same time. You also have to activate with a code to install via Steam and I wouldn't have thought you could activate two installs at a time.

I'd say NO. Both buy it.

Have to be careful what you say on these forums, illegitimate use of the FM software is quite rightly frowned upon and leads to bannings. If you spent your own valuable time making something and everyone bought one copy between them and just shared it then you'd feel somewhat peeved and cheated.

I'm trying to be both friendly to you and damning of piracy/illegitimate use of FM here. I don't think you really know what you are asking so I don't think there's any need to be harsh to you, but you are essentially asking if you can pay once for a game that more than one person is going to own, i.e. your brother gets it free.

im with this guy :)

OK, well it seems like I have trodden on some immoral grounds, but thanks for the responses anyway, yea I guess we'll just have to get two of the games... As I said, I never really play PC games, so I don't know what is normal and what isn't, so again, thanks for not ripping me a new one

Cheers

OK, well it seems like I have trodden on some immoral grounds, but thanks for the responses anyway, yea I guess we'll just have to get two of the games... As I said, I never really play PC games, so I don't know what is normal and what isn't, so again, thanks for not ripping me a new one

Cheers

No problem, welcome to the forums and enjoy the game. Keep an eye on this thread because who knows if you may get a different response from a later user. I don't think you will though.

There are methods by which PC games can be installed on more than one machine (and I mean the terms of the developer/DRM etc) but it is generally envisaged that it is for the sole benefit of one user. When we install games we essentially sign a EULA to say that we will abide by the terms of the developer of the software.

You can read this EULA to find out what the terms are for FM.

You can read this thread too.

Archived