PC vs Mac

Hi guys,

I'm not intending this to be another "what type of laptop should I buy" thread, but I am looking for some general feedback about whether FM10 works better with a PC or Mac.

I've always used a PC before so I know what specs are needed to run FM quickly. However, I don't really know much about Macs, and whether they are fast enough to run all or most leagues, and also whether they cope with the 3D match engine ok.

It seems that the basic specs for the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro do cover the minimum specs of FM, but how many leagues does this mean it can run?

Any help appreciated.

Hi guys,

I'm not intending this to be another "what type of laptop should I buy" thread, but I am looking for some general feedback about whether FM10 works better with a PC or Mac.

I've always used a PC before so I know what specs are needed to run FM quickly. However, I don't really know much about Macs, and whether they are fast enough to run all or most leagues, and also whether they cope with the 3D match engine ok.

It seems that the basic specs for the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro do cover the minimum specs of FM, but how many leagues does this mean it can run?

Any help appreciated.

It can run most of them, depends on the overall speed of game you want to get.:) And there is no much difference with Windows computers here - you can install Windowns on you mac notebook as well.

Don't take MacBook Air - it heats up as hell, take MacBoook Pro (2.2+ processor will be fine, make sure to have 4 or more gigs of RAM).

Mac's don't crash no where near as much as PC's.

Infact, i've had my macbook for 1 year now and it's never stalled or crashed. Plus you NEVER get the blue screen of death.

The reason Macs are more reliable than PC's is that the technology is integrated, as in one company builds everything - rather than different manufacturers. The Operating System AND the computer are built and designed by the same company. It's designed to be seamless, so if one thing crashes the computer will not stall.

Infact, Macs very rarely ever stall.

When FM is concerned, I have a 2.2ghz, 4gm Ram macbook, and I can run FM with 20 leagues (probably more but havn't tried) and have it in windowed mode, while running itunes, surfing the web and using other applications. It runs perfectly.

I've always heard that macs are more reliable. However, I've only had to buy a new PC once in 7 years, and was just able to upgrade it before that. I've been through 3 macs in that time at work, and need another new one already. Macs are terrible, awful things that don't do anything as well as PCs (that I've needed or wanted to do so far).

I've always heard that macs are more reliable. However, I've only had to buy a new PC once in 7 years, and was just able to upgrade it before that. I've been through 3 macs in that time at work, and need another new one already. Macs are terrible, awful things that don't do anything as well as PCs (that I've needed or wanted to do so far).

Please, stop that holly war)

I had numerous DOS/Windows machines (that's the correct name. PC stands for Personal Computer) since 1992 and got a Macbook Pro 13" this year.

Well, I like this notebook in both engineering and design. I can install Win7 if I need, but Mac OS suits my needs just fine and currently I prefer it to Win.

Both systems are fine as long as they are installed on good machines.

Thanks for the replies.

I've heard good things about Macs from a general computing perspective, though I'll probably will just stick with a new PC (Windows) this time as they're a lot cheaper. But good to know Macs do work fine as long as they is enough RAM installed.

Macs are fine to run FM, and since the game (I believe) was designed for OSX, rather than using interim software like Cider, so there should be no real difference between comparably specced Windows PCs and Macs running the game.

However, you highlighted the Macbook Air and the basic MacBook, so I would voice some caution before you step into the wonderful world of Apple.

The Air isn't a primary computer - I've even read it described as a secondary laptop - since it doesn't have a large hard drive, has no DVD drive and also has an underclocked graphics card. It is a beautiful piece of kit, but I wouldn't run games on it and expect them to perform brilliantly.

The basic MacBook should be fine, however I would point out that you are buying the 'budget' range of the Macbooks. In terms of specifications it is a bit less powerful than my three year old MacBook Pro, the major difference being that my laptop was 4 inches bigger, so in terms of portability, the new macbook wins hands down. On my macbook pro I was running England and Scotland in full detail with a couple of extra leagues for some added realism. The matches were always running on 'low' graphics, or perhaps medium. I would expect you could run a similar level of detail without too much trouble, more if you don't mind waiting.

If you are looking to buy an Apple Mac I'd recommend two things:

The first is to not buy anything until the next round of updates to the macbook pro line, which is probably in Feb or early March. Apples are upgraded only once or twice a year and often you see a hefty revision in tech with no increase in price and sometimes even a price drop. You don't want to buy a macbook pro at the moment if you can avoid it.

The second is to think ahead to what you want your Apple to do. If your dreams start and end with using iPhoto, browsing the web and playing Football Manager and World of CrackCraft, then the 13 inch is a fine model, probably soon to get even better. If, by contrast, you want to use your laptop to run some heavier duty games either directly through OSX (Dragon Age, Sims3, StarCraft 2) or by installing a Windows partition and booting into Windows 7 to run them, then I would advise you to think about the 15 inch models, in particular the one where you get a dedicated graphics card in the machine (this is currently the 9600GT available on the £1500 model and upwards).

Oh and a final thing - if you're in education then you can get a nice discount. I got the new 27" i7 iMac for £1610, rather than £1950.

Merry Christmas

Tickers

Hi guys,

As far as I know the only difference between the games is the pc version has moving nets when you score a goal and the mac version doesnt have this feature otherwise they are exactly the same. If you want to get a mac then get one with a fast processor and plenty of ram and you should be fine.

Macs are fine to run FM, and since the game (I believe) was designed for OSX, rather than using interim software like Cider, so there should be no real difference between comparably specced Windows PCs and Macs running the game.

However, you highlighted the Macbook Air and the basic MacBook, so I would voice some caution before you step into the wonderful world of Apple.

The Air isn't a primary computer - I've even read it described as a secondary laptop - since it doesn't have a large hard drive, has no DVD drive and also has an underclocked graphics card. It is a beautiful piece of kit, but I wouldn't run games on it and expect them to perform brilliantly.

The basic MacBook should be fine, however I would point out that you are buying the 'budget' range of the Macbooks. In terms of specifications it is a bit less powerful than my three year old MacBook Pro, the major difference being that my laptop was 4 inches bigger, so in terms of portability, the new macbook wins hands down. On my macbook pro I was running England and Scotland in full detail with a couple of extra leagues for some added realism. The matches were always running on 'low' graphics, or perhaps medium. I would expect you could run a similar level of detail without too much trouble, more if you don't mind waiting.

If you are looking to buy an Apple Mac I'd recommend two things:

The first is to not buy anything until the next round of updates to the macbook pro line, which is probably in Feb or early March. Apples are upgraded only once or twice a year and often you see a hefty revision in tech with no increase in price and sometimes even a price drop. You don't want to buy a macbook pro at the moment if you can avoid it.

The second is to think ahead to what you want your Apple to do. If your dreams start and end with using iPhoto, browsing the web and playing Football Manager and World of CrackCraft, then the 13 inch is a fine model, probably soon to get even better. If, by contrast, you want to use your laptop to run some heavier duty games either directly through OSX (Dragon Age, Sims3, StarCraft 2) or by installing a Windows partition and booting into Windows 7 to run them, then I would advise you to think about the 15 inch models, in particular the one where you get a dedicated graphics card in the machine (this is currently the 9600GT available on the £1500 model and upwards).

Oh and a final thing - if you're in education then you can get a nice discount. I got the new 27" i7 iMac for £1610, rather than £1950.

Merry Christmas

Tickers

QFT.

Everything there is basically all you need to know.

I play World of Cackcraft on my Macbook with integrated GFX fine :p.

Archived