Wage Limits.

I have a 400,000 Euro gap between my wage limit and the wages I'm paying, and I would like to sign Daniele De Rossi. The money, transfer and wages combined would be well within my budgets - yet the 'maximum limit' I can offer him is 90,000 euros a week when he wants 120,000. Can someone explain why and advise me on how to fix or work around this? Thanks.

How much is your current highest earner being paid?

It could be down to the fact that the contract you want to offer would put De Rossi on a higher wage than that, indeed on much higher than most (or all) of your squad.

I have a 400,000 Euro gap between my wage limit and the wages I'm paying, and I would like to sign Daniele De Rossi. The money, transfer and wages combined would be well within my budgets - yet the 'maximum limit' I can offer him is 90,000 euros a week when he wants 120,000. Can someone explain why and advise me on how to fix or work around this? Thanks.

There's a couple of options;

1) You can try and negotiate with the board to raise your wage budget. They may just say that they believe you have enough to gain success with. That's usually what I get.

2) You can try and negotiate with the player. You can offer him 90k but he wants 120k so try to offer him 90k and 30k signing on fee. Or, if you have the budget, offer him 100k signing on fee and that will cover the excess wages for a period. Then up the fee per game and the bonus per goal and see if you can get him on a lower wage with extras for performance. I have to say that I usually find that player's wants are some way above what they will accept if a wage is combined with bonuses, i.e. you can often pay quite a bit less than they ask for. You have the added possibility that the extra goal bonus will have them proving their worth to get the money.

I will say one thing, though. I usually find it bad practice to sign one player that is earning way above what others are. I don't know that this is the case for you, but I can just see the next contract renewals resulting in players wanting to match my one high earner. That could land you in a whole puddle of trouble financially. They might just resent you for paying one guy over the odds.

Sometimes you can do much better by signing a couple of possibly lower class players that add to team stability and morale. We all play differently though, and it is granted that the level of play alters things radically. I'm in Scottish Division Three.

If this Di Rossi ain't a striker then I guess the goals bonus would be less valuable...I think I know the name but it verges on the edge of my memory.

That's just what your club deems an acceptable limit. Try offering a higher signing on fee, that usualy helps

Can't. They capped it at 4.9 million - de rossi wants 5.something.

How much is your current highest earner being paid?

It could be down to the fact that the contract you want to offer would put De Rossi on a higher wage than that, indeed on much higher than most (or all) of your squad.

Frank Ribery has a wage earning of 175,000 per week. After that though, De Rossi would probably be the next highest paid person.

2) You can try and negotiate with the player.

I tried this, but I simply can't sweeten the deal enough.

I will say one thing, though. I usually find it bad practice to sign one player that is earning way above what others are. I don't know that this is the case for you, but I can just see the next contract renewals resulting in players wanting to match my one high earner. That could land you in a whole puddle of trouble financially. They might just resent you for paying one guy over the odds.

This guy is immense, I must have him - whether I pay over the odds or not. :)

Anyway, my team has lots of quality and stability. I just signed Mexes, Sandro, Chiellini, Adler, Fazio...I just need De Rossi to complete the team.

Archived