Second Season - only 20% of player sales?

So I won the Premiership in my first season with Spurs. I also reached the Quarters in the League Cup and the Semis in the FA Cup.

In addition, I still had 7 million in the kitty after selling players to the big guns and only bringing in Hamsik and a cheap GK (Enyeama).

So why did my board give me 6.5 million (less than I had) and 20% of any players sold? When requesting more cash, I was told by the board to sell players first.

My biggest worry - the board will sell either Modric or Lennon and allow me only 20% of the revenue. Meantime, I'm not selling or buying. It's June 2010.

Any advice out there?

teach them a lesson, sell everyone, resign a day after the transfer window shuts and watch them get relegated!

seriously though, even from an arsenal fan, that seems very tight! i dont really know what financial state spurs are in irl but i cant recall hearing them struggling! play the hand your dealt!

I ended last season on -18 million and am one month into this season with +14 million (mainly TV revenue) but the board haven't said anything to me (wages 48% satisfaction - overall board satisfaction doesn't even mention finances).

But now I'm in the Champions League. Surely thay take that into account?

dont take this as gospel but im sure you dont recieve the champions league tv money untill the end of the competition, and only get x amount per game, so your board wouldnt be able to assume you'd get the top money from this competition, thus not being able to include it in deciding your budget before the season.

dont take this as gospel but im sure you dont recieve the champions league tv money untill the end of the competition, and only get x amount per game, so your board wouldnt be able to assume you'd get the top money from this competition, thus not being able to include it in deciding your budget before the season.

I hope you're right Sean. I also hope the board leave my squad alone so I can get on with it. BTW, you'll be happy to know that it was Arsenal who knocked Spurs out of the FA Cup in a penalty shoot out :mad: I had a good mind to Ctl-Alt-Del the whole thing but didn't. ;)

My most expensive wages are 60k (2 players), 52k (1 player), 50k (3 players), 45k (3 players) and 40k (4 players). Is that too high?

It's the relation between how much wages you pay total and how much your total wage budget is. It's impossible to say anything from the wages above. If you finished the season at -18 million though, then surely it's not very odd that the board are reluctant to spend a lot on transfers? Wage budget matters a lot, if you're a lot under the maximum you can switch some of that money into the transfer fund (or the other way around); selling high earners is a lot better than selling low earners if you're looking to get transfer money.

im pretty sure what iv said is correct, do what you can and try and get to the latter stages of the champs league, and see if it improves. glad to see you done the right thing and took it like a man, you might be happy to hear it looks like im going to get sacked as arsenal boss very soon, 7th season!

what are you spending overall per week on wages, and what is your wage budget? i always try n keep to £1m give or take, im very tight with wages.

Players and staff is about 4.7 mill per month which is 1.2 mil a week. Could that be my problem? If it is, I can sell Keane (60k a week) he is similar to the real Keane - hot and cold with a tendency to cold.

... glad to see you done the right thing and took it like a man, you might be happy to hear it looks like im going to get sacked as arsenal boss very soon, 7th season!

It's not Spurs you'd be hating in my game it's Liverpool. They beat you in the FA Cup final (also on penalties) and to add insult to injury, they beat Arsenal to fourth place on goal difference. Wenger is in Europa League in 2010-11

for me personally thats a big wage bill for spurs. like Lathund said, if you have money left from the wage budget you can transfer it, and also sell the big earners who just arent pulling their weight, if you look hard enough you'll replace them with better and pay them less or maybe sell the deadweight and bleed your youngsters.

make them available, offer them out to clubs, make the clubs aware they are expendable. if a player is worth £5m, i tend to offer them out for about £15-£20m and see what comes back! selling them 3 players would generate fees and also £7.5m from saved wages! happy days!

make them available, offer them out to clubs, make the clubs aware they are expendable. if a player is worth £5m, i tend to offer them out for about £15-£20m and see what comes back! selling them 3 players would generate fees and also £7.5m from saved wages! happy days!

Makes sense. I'll work on it Sean. Thanks

Players and staff is about 4.7 mill per month which is 1.2 mil a week. Could that be my problem? If it is, I can sell Keane (60k a week) he is similar to the real Keane - hot and cold with a tendency to cold.

What players are still there?

You should get rid of big earners like keane. You can get alot better for alot less wages I'm sure. Ledley, crouch, pav still there? another lot that should be off loaded asap.

If you are failing to get interest for these players at a reasonable price, i think it's best to let them go at next to nothing. Freeing up big wages can free up alot more transfer budget. It will stand you in good stead for the future as well.

I hope this helps. :thup:

Archived