How to stop AI comebacks?

I would suggest the following:

Check for better team talk in halftime (i tend to tell them after a lead not to relax, or play worse)

Make touchline instructions like keeping posssession o bother rivals

Check fitness of players playing, sub anyone going about 60%

Check players attributes, concentration and stamina values are key to prevent comebacks

You could also try switching to a less attacking style of play.

Additionally, more time wasting could help.

What kind of defenders do you have? And what standard of players are you playing against? Sometimes it's better to defend deeper and counter-attack if you have strong/brave defenders and fast attackers.

I usually tell my players at HT if 1 goal up "encourage" and if more than 1 goal up "don't get careless/don't let perfomance drop". Telling them you're pleased, is Football Manager suicide.

Also make sure you sub off tired players, paticularaly in midfield and at the back, and get gradually more defensive as the second half gors on.

What kind of defenders do you have? And what standard of players are you playing against? Sometimes it's better to defend deeper and counter-attack if you have strong/brave defenders and fast attackers.

Both of my FB's are pacey but can defend so there both 'support' full backs. Both of my CB's are very tall and have decent pace (matthew upson and James Tomkins) so they both 'defend' obviously. My team (west ham) are playing against PL opposition and because of that I tend to play a 'high normal' defence as both my CB's and FB's could cover each other if a through ball happened to the opposition striker, but If I'm playing against a striker like Defoe I play a Deep defence. Ashton plays a Peter Crouch role, hold the ball and pass it to the wingers or the other striker (hold the ball) and I do have strong CB's but not strong FB's, So in the last 10 minutes I could go onto a 'counter' strategy.

I usually tell my players at HT if 1 goal up "encourage" and if more than 1 goal up "don't get careless/don't let perfomance drop". Telling them you're pleased, is Football Manager suicide.

Also make sure you sub off tired players, paticularaly in midfield and at the back, and get gradually more defensive as the second half gors on.

Using 'Don't let your performance drop with more than a one goal lead is FM suicide. You only use 'Don't let your performance drop' if your ahead by one goal against an opposition you should be beating but playing rubbish (team with 6.0 ratings)

Sorry but I must disagree with you on, telling them you're pleased is FM suicide because when I do that with a 2 or 3 goal lead I rarely concede and kill of the game, with most of the players motivation 'Playing with confidence' or 'looks fired up'

I would suggest the following:

Check for better team talk in halftime (i tend to tell them after a lead not to relax, or play worse)

Make touchline instructions like keeping posssession o bother rivals

Check fitness of players playing, sub anyone going about 60%

Check players attributes, concentration and stamina values are key to prevent comebacks

Sorry Damian I'm not a Novice, I'm looking at more advanced techniques I.e. when should you change player roles, what shouts to use when your 1-0 ahead, what team strategy should you use etc.

I'd suggest that West Ham don't have a good enough defensive unit to defend very deep for long periods of time. So any more than 15-20 minutes and all the pressure you invite might result in a mistake by one of your defenders, particularly if they don't have great decision making.

I would also suggest putting your full backs on a defensive mentality if trying to protect a lead.

As others have posted, saying that you are pleased at half time may lead some players to being a bit lax in the 2nd half!

I'd suggest that West Ham don't have a good enough defensive unit to defend very deep for long periods of time. So any more than 15-20 minutes and all the pressure you invite might result in a mistake by one of your defenders, particularly if they don't have great decision making.

I would also suggest putting your full backs on a defensive mentality if trying to protect a lead.

As others have posted, saying that you are pleased at half time may lead some players to being a bit lax in the 2nd half!

Illunga is set to defend and Behrami plays RB who supports but is mentally defensive

^^

This.

Also consider switching to a more fluid philosophy, manually changing the positions of your players to play deeper (i.e. the old "men behind the ball" tactic - put your midfielders / wingers in the DM / WB positions and put your strikers in central midfield, thus changing a 4-(0)-4-(0)-2 formation into a 4-4-2-(0)-(0) formation for example).

At half time what really helps is no team talk. I find that saying your pleased can result in complacency, and saying don't let your performance drop really can be managerial suicide. (E.g. 1-0 up against Real Madrid at half-time. I lost 5-1 after that mistake.) Also changing to counter attack could help, and at around the 60 minute mark introduce more time wasting.

i tend to take a striker off and put an extra defender on, tell them to go deeper and make my striker hold up the ball and counter attack. Works a charm because quite often they will go 4-2-4 and be totally outmatched in midfield (i only tend to tell my DMC to go back for corners and free kicks and make my wingers and other MC and 2 strikers stay forward.) Great for counter attacks i would say. :p

Archived