Eccentricity.. What is it..

Ok then thanks. So is there one like word that can be used to describe it?

well there's one very apt word, a word you may not consider appropriate at times but it actually works really well...

Eccentricity..

ta da....

there are so many keepers down the ages that you could consider eccentric but my favourite would be bruce grobelaar.... he really sums it up for me.. i'm sure other people have their favourites as well.

Flair . Eccentricity is another word for flair. Works just like that as it does for outfield players - how often they try the unexpected..

i'd disagree, i think you misunderstand the meaning of flair

flair would be a person's natural ability and aptitude, it has a different meaning from eccentricity, both in game and in general English use

From FM Genie Scout:

" This attribute represents the likelihood of the goalkeeper to do the unexpected and typically act unlike a goalkeeper. Things like dribbling out of his area will be common-place if the eccentricity attribute is high.

Marc Vaughan & Nick Habershon: An eccentric goalkeeper is a double-edged sword. He might be capable of moments of genius, but equally you may find him scampering out of his box with no hope of getting to the ball before the opposition striker. If you like a player with a bit of character, a low rating, in my opinion, is not necessarily a good thing. "

If you play with a sweeper keeper, you probably would want an 'eccentric' goalkeeper and not one who stays in his box when he is supposed to mop up loose balls.

Then again, who plays with sweeper keepers? :)

I was never sure whether 20 meant high or low eccentricity-always meant to ask that since they introduced negative attributes but always forgot. Nice to see a thread resolve it anyway. I remember being confused by an older game that gave Buffon a 20 for eccentricity-I can only presume that was a mistake because I can think of few less eccentric keepers than Buffon.

Jose Luis Chilavert is another. Chilavert and Jorge Campos were both eccentric goalkeepers, but for Rene Higuita to have his correct level of eccentricity, you would have to use fmrte to change his 'eccentricity' stat to 29!

I have played many games as Celtic and Artur Boruc has a 20 rating in eccentricity but I can tell you now that he doesnt do stupid stuff, he doesnt cost me goals. I cant think of one and I've played many hours. I'm currently wondering if Guillermo Ochoa is actually a better keeper despite the feedback from coaches, scouts, FM gamers, and saves where I've had him before.

Eccentricity isnt a bad thing, I think there is other attributes that decide whether this attribute makes your GK a saviour or a nutcase. Boruc is a case where it makes him good, very very good.

I actually had some problems on FM07 getting craig gordon to play well for man u when replacing buffon. He had like 2 in eccentricity and buffon had much higher. He was really poor, even thoug he had very similar attributes except from that single one. May have been for some other reason though, because after a couple of seasons in and out the squad he became much more reliable. Remember thinking about that attribute though, as it was the only attribute really separating them

Huh? :confused:

jiggy - can you relate any incident when you thought, 'My Boruc acted eccentric there'?

In all the hours, even days I've played, 95% has been with Boruc and no I cant remember one incident where he did anything unpredictable or risky, I'm trying but I actually cant. He's been a key player for me and saved my bacon on many many an occasion.

If he was unreliable, I'd be saying it and wouldnt have been so reliant on him as I have been.

I dont think its irrelevant but I think its a bad trait if the GK's personality and other mental stats are weak in key areas and a boost if they are strong in the key areas

Boruc has decent mental stats so maybe its an added bonus. Anyone thats seen Boruc IRL when he's mentally focused and that period when he was having problems with the wife we all saw a dramatic difference in his performances. When he was happy off the field again, his performances were much much better, IRL. I think Eccentricity is linked in this way and not like a normal attribute

personally i dont care much for eccentricity or lack of it. Thats just how my stopper is, but given the choice i prefer low eccentricity. As a gunner watching lehmann in real life was quite a change from the reliable david seaman!

Archived