Are you penalised for resigning?

As above. Let me explain my situation. I started a career game and the first club to offer me a job was Stafford in BSP, so I took it. My start of season expectations were to avoid relegation. I did a little more than that - I won the league by 20 odd points and won both the Setanta Shield and the FA trophy. Financially, the team went from a balance of £80000 to 1.2 million by the start of season two. In season two, again my expectations were to avoid relegation from League 2. To do this they gave me a budget of £0, which they thought was adequate!!! With some clever loan and unattached signings, I got them promoted to League 1, in second place. Again the board offered me £0, instead of offering an ultimatum, I quit, as I figured there were a number of higher profile teams that would take me. What a fool I was. I've just gone a full season unemployed; the only offers I've received are from BSN and BSS teams. I've been overlooked for ALL jobs I applied for from BSP upwards. Bearing in mind as a complete unknown I was offered a BSP position, isn't it a bit stupid that the best I can hope for now is from Braintree or Droylsden!

As above. Let me explain my situation. I started a career game and the first club to offer me a job was Stafford in BSP, so I took it. My start of season expectations were to avoid relegation. I did a little more than that - I won the league by 20 odd points and won both the Setanta Shield and the FA trophy. Financially, the team went from a balance of £80000 to 1.2 million by the start of season two. In season two, again my expectations were to avoid relegation from League 2. To do this they gave me a budget of £0, which they thought was adequate!!! With some clever loan and unattached signings, I got them promoted to League 1, in second place. Again the board offered me £0, instead of offering an ultimatum, I quit, as I figured there were a number of higher profile teams that would take me. What a fool I was. I've just gone a full season unemployed; the only offers I've received are from BSN and BSS teams. I've been overlooked for ALL jobs I applied for from BSP upwards. Bearing in mind as a complete unknown I was offered a BSP position, isn't it a bit stupid that the best I can hope for now is from Braintree or Droylsden!

which is why you should have waited for a job offer before resigning. i guess only option is boost your manager reputation by managing another lower league team? i think is because your manager rep is too low your being overlooked?

I used the example of Colin Calderwood as he had a regional reputation, managing Forest. He managed to get them relegated to League 2, which is almost an impossibility with that team and was sacked. He didn't spend a season on the dole, he immediately got another League one job. It seems a bit uneven to me.

Could someone from SI give me some info on how reputation is worked, for future reference?

You are not penalised for resigning. Your reputation stays constant.

Regarding the rest, what reputation did you start on? The problem most likely is that while you've been succesful, you probably don't have higher reputation than the multitude of possible managers that are in the game from the start and hence you will nearly always lose out to any of them if they are available.

The rep you have is probably only enough for the jobs you have recieved, i.e. BSN/BSS or possible lower end BSP teams.

A quick way to check if you have a chance to get a job is to "declare interest" when a manager is under pressure. If it says "have a outside chance" or better you have a chance, but if it says the basic "have no chance" the teams rep is too high for you.

Good advice, ZJ.

I think its actually inverted from what jed suggested: I think you are penalised for getting sacked, but if you just resign, you keep your reputation constant.

My manager who got sacked for declaring interest in / applying to too many other jobs has since had a real hard time getting a new job ...

Just a quick update: I was offered a job at Crawley in March 2010 in BSS. I would have refused it, but I saw that they had a pretty decent team, though underachieving in 11th place. Anyway, I had 6 games left in the season, won them all (they really were a good team!) and went up through the playoffs. So' I'm a bit happier now!

The definitive answer is as follows...

... you do NOT lose any of your reputation for resigning...

...BUT you DO lose reputation for giving your board an ultimatum and then being sacked.

Your current reputation is quite drastically reduced. I have just tested this and it was enough to send me down from a continental reputation to a low national one.

So the answer is, don't give the board an ultimatum, no matter how satisfying it may feel to throw all of the toys out of the pram. Just resign instead.

I think the ultimatum business needs changing for future FMs personally. It's fair enough that you should lose rep for getting sacked but you shouldn't lose rep for ultimatums. You are effectively resigning your position when you issue an ultimatum. Anyone agree?

C.

Archived