What is your RL level of experience with football/soccer?

I ask this because I am trying to get an unofficial sense of how much exposure people have to the real game we all love. Also, I am trying to find a way to gauge the countless comments, good or bad, that I read on these forums by identifying the experience level of the person making the comment. In an effort to model what I would like to see, I will go first.

1. I played from age 4 until 23. Obviously, the first few years were formative. I played club ball and high school ball until college. I tried out for the college team at K-State; was accepted in 1996, but had to decline because it is not a Varsity sport at K-State and therefore, it is not financed by the University. I couldn't afford to pay the fees, so I had to decline and then I joined a men's league until my knees didn't let me play at a level I was comfortable with.

2. I will be entering my seventh season coaching this spring. I have coached high school boys for four years at two different schools. I will be coaching high school girls for the third time this spring. The first school I taught at did not have Soccer my first three years there, so I coached baseball instead. I used to help guest coach youth soccer clinics.

3. I watch soccer every chance I get (much to my wife's dismay). I watch the Saturday and Sunday Fox Soccer Channel broadcast of EPL or Serie A. I occasionally watch the Mexican Premier Division on the spanish channels here in Denver. I watch MLS any chance I get. I used to go to KC Wizards games when I lived in Kansas but I have not been to a Rapids game here in Denver even though I live only 3 or 4 miles from Dick's Sporting Goods Park. I guess I am waiting until my daughter is old enough to enjoy it.

4. I read books about soccer. Books about the history of the game. Books about tactics. Books about soccer fans. I have to take coaching tests. I do NOT belong to the USSF, but that is for far different reasons.

Regardless of whether this has been done before, I would like people to follow suit so we can get a frame-of-reference who we are talking to.

1. Playing experience (if any)

2. Coaching experience (if any)

3. Viewing experience (if any)

4. Other experiences (if any)

1. I just play, ever since I was 8 or so. I'm a keeper and not overly good, so just a lowly student team is good enough for me. I do love playing football, but I'm not the smartest player of the bunch. I work hard when I'm in the outfield, but will mostly be trying to win the ball and give it to someone a little better. I know my strengths and weaknesses. I also play indoor, in much the same way.

2. Coaching isn't really my thing, I think. I think I'd miss being on the pitch, running around too much. Also, the opportunity hasn't come up and I'm not chasing it.

3. And I only watch with friends or just catch highlights since I think most matches are terribly dull. I barely ever go to a stadium (again, only with friends. I saw Ajax - Slavia Prague and NL - England last year).

4. Not really anything football related. I doubt you wan tot hear the story of my life :D

1. Playing experience (if any) - I play for Clevedon United in the English Western League Division One. This season I am our first choice keeper although I have been out injured for the past month after dislocating my knee in training.

2. Coaching experience (if any) - Assistant Goalkeeper Coach and youth team coach for Clevedon United.

3. Viewing experience (if any) - Occasionalally attend Bristol City home games and have a season ticket with Sunderland for when I am at uni (Durham Uni)

Not getting injured is something I'm very good at.

I guess this is where I went wrong! LOL

I went to OCS for the USMC the summer between my junior and senior year of college and tore up my knee pretty good. Never been the same since. I tore a tendon in my knee and had to have a cast from my hip to my toes for six weeks. It sucked!

1. Playing experience (if any) - I play 6 a side both as a keeper and a defender and trying to improve my fitness so I can play 11 a side regularly.

2. Coaching experience (if any) - Work for the council as a sports coach which is mostly football and have done this since February last year.

3. Viewing experience (if any) - Season ticket holder at Crewe Alexandra and have watched games there since 1998.

4. Other experiences (if any) - FM :D

1. Playing experience (if any) - I play for Clevedon United in the English Western League Division One. This season I am our first choice keeper although I have been out injured for the past month after dislocating my knee in training.

2. Coaching experience (if any) - Assistant Goalkeeper Coach and youth team coach for Clevedon United.

3. Viewing experience (if any) - Occasionalally attend Bristol City home games and have a season ticket with Sunderland for when I am at uni (Durham Uni)

Very cool to have an actual pro playing this game!

1. Playing experience (if any) - I play 6 a side both as a keeper and a defender and trying to improve my fitness so I can play 11 a side regularly.

2. Coaching experience (if any) - Work for the council as a sports coach which is mostly football and have done this since February last year.

3. Viewing experience (if any) - Season ticket holder at Crewe Alexandra and have watched games there since 1998.

4. Other experiences (if any) - FM :D

Good show. When I coached in Kansas, our state rules allowed high school coaches to coach 5 v. 5 (6 w/ keeper) as long as at least half the team was made up of players not from the high school one coached at. Long story short, I coached it for a couple of seasons in the summer to keep our players fit. Great workout for the players!

I guess this is where I went wrong! LOL

I went to OCS for the USMC the summer between my junior and senior year of college and tore up my knee pretty good. Never been the same since. I tore a tendon in my knee and had to have a cast from my hip to my toes for six weeks. It sucked!

Ah mate that's terrible. I haven't missed a match in years. I had some hip trouble when I was younger but that all went away.

1. Playing experience (if any): Play for camrose afc, they are on the db ;) used to play for Haverford west (they are in the welsh league, im hoping to play for them in a couple years, i was part of their acadamy for a year or so but they wanted £100 a year for rubbish training and 4 games a season so i quit (N)) im a right back/striker, for my new club i've scored 10 goals in 3 games.

2. Coaching experience (if any): None but my dad coaches a local side.

3. Viewing experience (if any): watched a fair few wales matches.

4. Other experiences (if any): My dad had trials for aston villa, and my cousin was/is better than simone davies, well thats what ian rush told him but he gave up football :(

1. Playing experience (if any) - Play for fun occasionally. Haven't played a competitive game since I was 10 - very injury prone. :( At the moment I'm carrying three long-term injuries /o\ Usually play as an inside forward, although have played all over the pitch (including GK and DC despite being short)

2. Coaching experience (if any) - None.

3. Viewing experience (if any) - Very occasionally attended Watford matches - should go more. I'm tempted to get either a Borehamwood or Barnet season ticket.

4. Other experiences (if any) - FM? Have been tempted to look in to reffing.

4. Other experiences (if any) - FM? Have been tempted to look in to reffing.

Forgot about that/ I've reffed matches for the young 'uns. Mainly to help out the club I was playing at. It's fun if you dream away the fuming parents shouting obscenities.

You're Danny Greaves I guess.

Dicks sporting ground lol

I live in Liverpool and dont support neither Everton or Liverpool, Chelsea is the way forward :)

Ive played football back in Zimbabwe, and in England I havent bothered, shorts and cold weather arnt my thing. I did however work at Turf Moor and various championship grounds as a steward, so i got to watch boring matches but got paid for it

1. Playing experience:Started in my favorite team Fenerbahçe at the age of 7,was playing winger there,left right didnt matter,i can use both feet,loaned out to kartalspor at age of 15,my coach started using me as a striker club turned pro the time so did i, played a little bit (3 matches lol) when i was 17.anyway then i transfered to küçükçekmecespor(hard to read ha lol)(transfer fee a mercedes :D)which im still in 4th league,played 42 matches(most of them as subtitute) got injured a lot(pitches are horrible),and scored 22 between ages 19-23(till now)

2. Coaching experience :Not much.I'm still going to college studying economics.When i get bored playing i will become a coach or a reff

3. Viewing experience :Used to go every fenerbahçe match but now cant.ofcourse :D

1. Playing experience:Started in my favorite team Fenerbahçe at the age of 7,was playing winger there,left right didnt matter,i can use both feet,loaned out to kartalspor at age of 15,my coach started using me as a striker club turned pro the time so did i, played a little bit (3 matches lol) when i was 17.anyway then i transfered to küçükçekmecespor(hard to read ha lol)(transfer fee a mercedes :D)which im still in 4th league,played 42 matches(most of them as subtitute) got injured a lot(pitches are horrible),and scored 22 between ages 19-23(till now)

2. Coaching experience :Not much.I'm still going to college studying economics.When i get bored playing i will become a coach or a reff

3. Viewing experience :Used to go every fenerbahçe match but now cant.ofcourse :D

You must have been quite good at age 7...lol

Playing experience

Played from 7 yo until I got a severe knee injury when I was around 20. After that some sporadic matches at 7th tier in Norway and 8th tier in Sweden. Was a goalie as youth, but because of the knee I was only a "use where ever and when ever somebody gets killed" player as a senior.

Coaching experience

1. Have step 2 Goalkeeper Coach Badge

2. Goalkeeper Coach, Vålerenga U16 (10 years ago, 1 season) - Norway

3. Goalkeeper Head Coach, Norrstrands IF Girls U11-U15 (Ongoing) - Sweden

4. Goalkeeper Coach, Norrstrands IF Women Div 2, 3 & 5 (Ongoing) - Sweden

5. Goalkeeper Coach, Råtorps IK Women Div 4 (Ongoing) - Sweden

6. Assistant Goalkeeper Coach, Värmlands FF U13 - U16 (Local FA, Ongoing) - Sweden

Viewing experience

Had season tickets for 5 years back in Norway (Vålerenga IF), and went to all matches(Home/Away) in 3 of them - dont watch live as much anymore, because of my coaching carrier and other stuff (see below)

Other experiences

Been a referee for 15 years, U7 - U19 and senior (men/women). Was in the local talent group when I was 22(IIRC), but because of the knee problems I had to go back to youth football after 2 years. A shame really, because I was on the verge of breaking into the level 4 ref group in Norway. I did have some Assistants Ref assignments in womens Premier League though :D

In total, youth, senior, cup tournaments and futsal I have been reffing around 600 matches and been Assistant Ref in apx 150 :)

So I do feel I have some knowledge of whats going on out on the pitch :p

1. Playing experience (if any): Went to a rugby playing school, so played for a local team. Injured my achilles playing rugby at 17, which stopped my football, as every time I got a kick on the ankle I got carried off. I also played tennis and badminton a lot, so decided to continue with those as my sports of choice, although I only play tennis now.

2. Coaching experience (if any): Was head tennis coach of a large Danish tennis club for 4 years. Coached tennis on and off for years before and since.

3. Viewing experience (if any): Used to watch Wycombe and Southampton a fair bit. FCK when in Denmark. Nowadays, given my location, restricted mainly to TV aired CL and internationals.

4. Other experiences (if any): General research into football books (tactics and history). More specific research into academic studies of football. Theoretical and conceptual work on the FM10 tactics system.

Playing Experience: 8 years at local club, 4 years from 8th to 11th grade, quit playing (against my better judgment) due to lack of playing (had 2 college coaches tell me I could make it though). Played indoor on and off over the course of a few seasons. Mostly play pick-up games now.

Coaching Experience: USSF grade F coaching license. Currently an assistant coach to a girls U-19 club. Also a guest coach for 2 other local teams. Also coach first year coaches about basic rules, tactics, and other not-so-nice individual player moves.

Viewing Experience: Occasionally attend New York Red Bull games against Barcelona (preseason friendlies) as well as 4 league games (part of the capacity crowd that witnessed Beckham play his 1st full 90 minutes in MLS, awesome game by the way). Plan on attending opening game for Philadelphia Union this season. Have made a 4 hour trip to Baltimore to see Chelsea vs. AC Milan in the World Football Challenge this summer. Attended numerous Philadelphia Kixx indoor games over the years. Attended the USA vs. Argentina friendly 2 years ago (best 0-0 game I've ever seen).

Other Experience: Have been a licensed USSF grade 8 referee for 5 years. Have refereed over 250 games from ages U-19 to U-6. Planning on refereeing high school in the upcoming fall season. I feel I've been fairly kind, only 3 red cards in that amount of time, lost count of how many yellows. Nothing like hearing parents and coaches that know the rules better than you do at 9am in the morning (God I love tournaments).

Glad to see the mix of experience/talent we have in the FM community. Glad to see another American. (No offense to the other nationalities) I look forward to reading everybody's posts with the new lens that I can relate it to your specific background. Hopefully, we can get more and more users to volunteer their info about this.

Playing Experience: Never played the game in an official team, but play regularly when in Portugal since at least 10 year old.

Coaching Experience: Very limited... only a volunteer summer camp for kids here in Cambridge, MA. One of my lifetime goals is to get a coaching certificate and coach a team that plays in a serious competition.

Viewing Experience: Way too much :D I have followed all the Euro/World Cups since 90, the Portuguese League since 92, all the other big european leagues since at least 96. For 4 seasons I had a season ticket for Sporting CP (only gave up because of coming to the US). These days I watch pretty much any football I can see at Fox Soccer, Espn, Gol Tv, Portuguese channels :D

Glad to see the mix of experience/talent we have in the FM community. Glad to see another American. (No offense to the other nationalities) I look forward to reading everybody's posts with the new lens that I can relate it to your specific background. Hopefully, we can get more and more users to volunteer their info about this.

There's not too many of us. Lol.

As a referee, I find myself shouting at the screen when I clearly feel the game doesn't understand the Laws of the Game (the same goes for any games on TV [ESPN, FSC, GOLTV] forgot to mention these in my viewing experience, must watch at least 5 games on Saturdays and 3 on Sundays).

Playing Experience: I played all the time throughout elementary and then junior high. I played a few years in high school, but gave it up to join the rowing team instead. I wish I hadn't now, as I was starting to get pretty good at defense. I have recently started playing again, having just entered college, and am loving it. The one thing that I think I am above your average player my age is free kicks. Or so I like to pretend. ;) I first started playing defense because I had a miserable shot, and because I was (still am) rather one-footed, but for some reason, after 3 years of not playing, I can shoot pretty well.

Coaching: I have done a bunch of youth-like things, helping out here and there with the local team in my hometown, in Massachusetts. Not that much really.

Viewing: I live in the USA. There isn't anything worth paying for here. :D I watch the Premier League if I can find the time, but almost always Chelsea, who I have taken a liking to watching. (Essien. :thup:) Having played as them on FM several times, I also enjoy watching Atletico Madrid play, though not of late. And of course, the past 2 World Cups and Euros.

Other: I've been a referee for about 6 years or so. Oh, and uh, FIFA 7-10. :D

1. Outdoor in australia between ages 10 and 16 (gave up for studies)

Recommenced for 1 year when I was 19/20

2. Coaching experience

Preseason for the local juniors outdoor team. More fitness than skills than anything else

3. Viewing experience

Too much to mention

4. Playing indoor & futsal in 3 different comps from 22 to present (25)

Injured my achilles playing rugby at 17

I reignited an achilles injury the other day playing tabletennis ffs. :( Doubt it's as serious as yours but there's a lump and it f*cking hurts. :D Then on Monday I fell on some ice getting off the bus and on to my bad knee. \o/

I'm a clutz.

1. Playing experience (if any) - Started playing for my school, which lead to me playing for Hampshire schools for a little while. Played Sunday League, staying with Langley Manor for 4 years (13-17) then gave that up when I went to college to concentrate on my studies. Im in Scotland now where I tried to play properly again for Addiewell and Polbeth but I realised I'm just not that good anymore! I play on Sunday's with a group of friends from my current college course. During Sunday league I started off as keeper, but ended up playing everywhere over the years, my best position was centre mid in a box-to-box role, didnt score my first 2 years, but got my first goal with my left foot from 2 yards out. In my last season I finished with 12 goals including one half volley from almost the half way line which looped over the keeper.

2. Coaching experience (if any) - None.

3. Viewing experience (if any) - I used to work at The Dell, in catering, the season before the went to St Mary's, where I got to see the second half of every home game. I saw an England vs Brazil U17's match at the old Wembley too. Im not sure if watching every game televised on Sky counts tho :p

4. Other experiences (if any) - None.

1. Playing experience (if any): Played for a local team here in Germany from age 8 to 14 as rightback and right winger. Then played again for a short period when I was 20 but I'm really not a good player so i quit playing club football. Nowadays I'm only playing football with friends mostly playing goalkeeper because this is the position I really enjoy playing.

2. Coaching experience (if any): none

3. Viewing experience (if any): Went to a lot of FC Kaiserslautern games but now I sadly don't have time to watch them live as I'm attending school in the evening.

4. Other experiences (if any): Except of playing all kinds of football managers since I have been 7 years old none :-)

playing experience... only played park football and sunday league til i was 23. sadly my ankle is far 2 weak and the doctors advice im better off not playing :( getting size 14 footie boots was also often a problem for me

viewing experience... leicester season ticket last 4 seasons, watch as much as i can on internet and make the odd trip to watch boston try and play football lol

1. Playing experience (if any) - i was a keeper played for a few local teams till i smashe three fingers diving at a players feet, they didnt heal properly so havent played since (under docs orders for not playing in goal) anything else i dont enjoy as much

2. Coaching experience (if any) - had a try at coaching primary school kids but couldnt really enjoy it without actually joining in :(

3. Viewing experience (if any)if theres football on TV ill watch it if there isnt ill watch a dvd of anything football relatedgo to as many sunderland games as i can, which with work isnt as many as id like.

4. Other experiences (if any) FM count? read Inverting the Pyramid: A History of Football Tactics, and Football and Chess: Tactics Strategy Beauty and any book relating to the history of sunderland AFC ill read

Playing - Played regularly for 2 or 3 years when I was in my teens (now 37!), apart from that just used to knock a ball around for hours against a wall after school.

Coaching - none

Viewing - Season ticket holder at Bradford City, been going since mid 80's

Other - Been playing FM / CM since CM2 was out!

1. Playing Experience: just for fun. Keeper in 5-a-side indoor (futsal), occasional keeper in 7-a-side (stopped after a too close encounter with a post and eyesight issues), otherwise a decent all-around player on both sides, from fullback to winger. A mix of Stuart Pearce and Dirk Kuyt :)

2. Coaching Experience: none

3. Viewing Experience: Serie A constantly since the mid-80s, every european/international match that was on TV since the same time. Sparse EPL/FA Cup since the late-80s.

The "obsession" died down a bit during the early 90s, just focusing on weekly highlights and entire Champions League/International matches.

Tippeligaen from 2002, but had been following the best I could since mid-90s.

Internet streaming being a curse-blessing to restore my footbalholism, I now watch everything I can find

4. Other experiences: I played pretty much every football (management and action) game ever created. I took a course in sports journalism with some rather famous national personalities so I got a good insight on the "behind the scenes" of the world which "tells" us the beautiful game.

1. Playing experience (if any) - Reached the U-17 squad of a 3rd tier club before I moved to the B team for a while (16-18). Quit when uni started.

2. Coaching experience (if any) - None

3. Viewing experience (if any) - Sporting season ticket holder.

1. Playing experience (if any) - Played for the youth team at Ajax up until i was 13 years old. Not good enough though. Now i play for a local Semi-Pro side in Amsterdam.

2. Coaching experience (if any) - I work part time as a youth coach, coaching U15's at a local amateur side.

3. Viewing experience (if any) - Used to have a season ticket at the ArenA but stopped going because i was getting frustrated with the football played. Now i go and watch them whenever i fancy it, usually 7 or 8 times a season.

Playing - Just the occasional kick-around, no proper team.

Coaching - None

Viewing - Season ticket at Tottenham, watch all away games on telly or, if not on, the radio, and view most matches that are on freeview TV.

Other - FM.

1. Playing experience: Played for school teams et cetera, also tried out for a few local league teams but never got in. Now I can't really be bothered.

2. Coaching experience: No experience apart from FM.

3. Viewing experience: Season ticket holder at a midsized championship club for the last 12 years. Only miss about 1 game a season. Also seen England twice and been to two Wembley finals and Cardiff Millenium Stadium once.

4. Other experiences: Not exactly sure what this means, but I once met Gianfranco Zola. :D

1. Playing experience (if any) - Began playing at a young age and joined my local boys club team at age 10. At 12 I was given a trial for Aberdeen but never made the grade. I represented my county at schooboy level from u-13 to u-18 level and also represented Scotland schoolboys at u-17 level. At 14 I was signed to Peterhead but all of the youth team was released when Steve Paterson became manager and decided he would not use a youth team, sign players from the Glasgow area and train in Dundee rather than use any local players. I then signed for Fraserburgh at 15 and was played for them up until the age of 20 when I quit football after losing motivation to play the game.

2. Coaching experience (if any) I've not had any experience of coaching and don't really have any interest in doing so.

3. Viewing experience (if any) Try to watch football as much as possible, watch alot on TV, I prefer watching Spanish football due to the technical side of the game rather than English/Scottish Gung-ho 100mph style. I go down to a few Rangers games a year but not as often as I would like due to work commitments.

1. Playing experience (if any) - Played a ridiculous amount of football as a kid, as most children growing up here probably do, but I also lived opposite a sort of park with a full length pitch and goal posts which barely anyone else used, so my friends and I would play nearly every night and have the pitch to ourselves. Played in school teams etc. and also in informal games arranged locally. Was very quick when I was younger and good at crossing the ball so played as a winger. As I got older, my pace went, so played anchor man. I tried hard but I was never remotely talented enough unfortunately! :(

2. Coaching experience (if any) - None, well apart from attempting to glean information from the manager and players at St. Albans City. :D

3. Viewing experience (if any) - As a kid, I was a Liverpool fan, and I used to go to quite a lot of games as I had friends in the city who I would go with. As I grew older, I started watching lots of local football, anything and everything from St. Albans City, Hitchin Town, Luton Town, Watford, Peterborough and the London clubs. To be honest, I would just watch football pretty much anywhere and at any level. These days I religiously attend St. Albans City home matches and the occasional Luton Town match. Essentially, I've attended matches ranging from the European Champions League, UEFA Cup, Premier League, Football League and non-League, as well as International matches too. I'm a compulsive football watcher and a football nerd, so I guess this is my main FM 'qualification'. ;)

4. Other experiences (if any) - Reading football tactics books (Lucchesi is a current favourite as well as the usual suspects, Jonathan Wilson etc.) Studying real life tactics when I attend a match and making notes on them (plus trying them out in FM!) I have also written for the St. Albans City website on football occasionally and I currently write match reports for home games at Clarence Park for a national football newspaper.

Interesting idea for a thread The Sean. :thup:

Regards,

C.

Archived