Players get worse as you go up leagues?

When you go up into a new league, you expect a much harder challenge and playing against better players. However I am experiencing my players getting worse instead of the oppositions players getting better.

Im Charlton, and have made back to back promotions to the premierleague.

My save which was halfway through the season got corrupt (was bottom anyway) but I had the one from the start of the season, so i continued with that.

I just played Arsenal and got beat 7-0. In the other save it was 8-0. Even the Stokes and Fulhams can put 5 past me.

But its not like im a l1 side anymore, Ive earnt promotion to the premierleague. Yes I know its a big step up, but watching the games is hurting my eyes.

For example, Fabregas put a through ball which went past my 2 centre backs and infront of my keeper. Walcott had absolutely no right at all to get to the ball.

BUT

My defenders stood still and he went past them and put the ball in the back of the net.

This type of thing is happening every game.

Why is it my players have suddenly become blue square prem quality?

For me it’s all about confidence. What I write now is my own opinion only; I think there’s a mix of club reputation, wage (yep, wage, some players earning way less than the average in the league seem restless and shaky), team talks and current player form.

I’m managing Hayes & Yeading United and are now in the Championship, at the beginning of the season the average wage at the club was €10K per month (ridiculous I know). I had a good start using the “no team talk” trick that seems to have been tuned down a bit since 10.2, this helped me in the previous season to earn the promotion at the last game of the season (1st), so I thought I’d be able to make it up to January and then offer new contracts. I think my good start in the CH was due to the confidence my players had from the previous season, but soon things went wrong and even with the “no team talk” trick we managed to lose 6 games in a row (2nd worst run since the BSP), instead of shouting on my players like a psycho I offered them €30K per month contracts (above wage budget now). Offering them new 4 years contracts has reduced the amount of clubs being interested in my players, and there are no more players unsettled or worried by the transfer gossips. Since then I managed to get the team winning again and I just won my 4th in a row, I kept my tactics, still no use of team talks but at the end of the game (otherwise the players feel you don’t give enough credit to the team).

So basically all I did is increase the first-team squad wages to bring them closer to what they are in the other clubs in the League and it seems like the players are more involved in what happens on the pitch. My 6 defeats in a row all happened because my 2 CB were watching the opposition go past them without a reaction, all 6 defeats, with my 2 CB having a rating of 5.90 on the past 5 games. I still concede some like that from time to time but usually we score just enough for a draw or short win.

Hmm, barely prem players but that doesnt explain the 100% ball watching.

Yes, i expect to struggle ALOT.

8 of the players in my lineup are the players from League 1.

Charlton were in a financial crisis and after only 3 years, its not really got any better.

There is no squad depth, I started the season with 15 "playable" players, others like sol campbell just cannot play anymore.

I had 15m to bring in players and crucially needed a striker, a LW and a CB.

---

I like the theory on confidence, Its definetally something I will need to work on later on in the season, but first game? No reason for confidence to be low now.

---

Also, theres alot of pressure on me.

Im expected to finish 14th. (Very very hard with these players)

Im expected to win against a few teams that just arnt winnable.

Archived