My problem with my continental reputation.

Hello ladies and gents.

I started off as Red Star and won the league in convincing fashion with them and left them after a season. I was then offered the Zenit job and won the league convincingly once again but left in December after the season was finished.

My reputation is continental as stated before, but I still cant seem to get a job in the top leagues, i.e. Spain, England, Italy or Germany. No team would consider me.

My question is, do other teams take into account that I only stayed a season each in my previous two jobs, even though I was successful? This would mean that they are afraid that I would bail out after only one season.

I did get Dinamo Moscow and Lokomotiv Moscow approaching me with 9m pounds and 21 million pounds respectively in their warchests but I'm done with Russia.

On the other hand, is it just still too early to be offered even any job in the top leagues? What are your experiences lads?

Which languages do you speak? Maybe that this is holding you back. Maybe take a Russian job but apply for England under 20's or something so that you start learning Englsih/ Spaniah/ Italian etc. Currently I am managing in EPL but have learnt Russian from being part time manager of Belarus

• Administrators

I think it's a bit like real life, success in smaller European leagues (even the steadily advancing Russian league) isn't always seen well abroad. I mean look at Mancini being appointed at City only the other day - idiot sections of the press were calling him inexperienced. I think the fact you've only done well on a short-term basis is probably being held against you, even with a continental reputation.

Thanks for your replies and now that I think about it, its probably a mixture what you guys have mentioned.

I speak Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian, Russian and Slovenian (Basic), so that probably has something to do with it, compounded by the fact that my success has only been short term.

Makes sense and thanks again.

Archived