Has Lost Confidence in his Manager's Ability

I'm playing as Sunderland and I'm into October of my third season. First season, I finished 11th which was decent enough. Last season, after an awesome start we trailed off and managed to cling onto 7th place, putting us into Europe and I saw it as a pretty big acheivement for the club. Now we're sitting in 13th after a very tough start to the season (Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa and Everton all in the first 8 games) with 8 points to show for it which, considering, isn't all that bad.

All of a sudden, before a big Europa League game with Espanyol, my captain Lorik Cana says the club are underacheiving and he wants to help get us up the table. I thought that was fair enough, he's my captain and he's trying to rally the troops. Suddenly, a few key members of my side have slight concerns of "Has lost confidence in his manager's ability", hell, Steed Malbranque is concerned we're not top of the league!

Morale is still high, we're winning games (4 - 0 at Wigan and 3 - 0 at West Ham in the past few games), but still they're losing faith in me. What can I do?

I've been through that all too. After I beat Inter in the Europa cup with Everton Rodwell and a couple of others were concerned we wern't topping the table. Then a few of my squad lost confidence in my ability for some reason.

In my next job at Betis (sacked from everton for being 12th in Feb) 4 of my players lost confidence in me before the first game of the season.

I assume its just another bug as it's completely inexplicable!

Its a pain that ain't it.

I had a similar situation when I took over at MK Dons. They were bottom when I took over, I got them up to 10th by the end of the season, losing only 3 games in my 22 in charge, yet I was getting the blame for the poor league position and a lot of the players had lost faith and were unhappy at the league position!

Theres no justice is there!

I'm not totally sure but it might be to do with what you gave as your expectations for the season. If you said you would be title challengers when a more realistic expectation would be mid table. It could also be that after taking them to 7th in the league the players don't think that you can make the step up and take them further up the table.

Archived