Injury crisis - any ideas?

OK, here's the scenario. I'm managing Liverpool and I'm sitting pretty at the top of the league after 35 games with a cosy 10 point lead over Chelsea, who only have three games to play so can't catch me, and Arsenal, who can catch me because they have a game in hand. The next set of league fixtures see me and my side head to the Emirates - I only need a point to secure the title.

However, I'm severly lacking in midfielders following an epic Champions League tie with Juventus, which I managed to win on penalties (needed a last minute goal from Carragher of all people to force extra-time!). I usually play a 4-2-3-1 against sides like Arsenal, with the three being either Riera-Gerrard-Kuyt if I use proper wingers, or van der Vaart-Gerrard-Aquilani if I play more narrow. The defensive midfielders tend to be Mascherano and Veloso (I also have Stephen Appiah).

The problem is though, I'm missing six senior attacking midfielders: Gerrard, Kuyt, Riera, Aquilani and vdVaart are ALL injured and will definitely miss the Arsenal game, leaving my remaining AM's as Jadson, Shelvey and Marquinhos.

So, I see three options:

1) Stick to 4-2-3-1 with Jadson, Shelvey and Marquinhos coming in.

2) Go 4-4-2, using Glen Johnson and Aurelio as wingers/wide midfielders with two from Insua, Andreas Beck or Carragher filling in at full-back.

3) Go for a sort of 3-5-2 system using Johnson and Aurelio/Insua/Beck as wing-backs, two from Veloso/Mascherano/Appiah, Jadson as AM with Torres and Dzeko up front.

Which option do people think I should go for?

Just to add a bit of extra edge, my remaining fixtures would be Fulham at home and Hull away in the league, but with a FA Cup semi against Man City and Champs Lge semis against Lyon/AC Milan/Barcelona. Meanwhile Arsenal are left with just the three other league games - but these are at home to Man Utd and Chelsea, and away to Spurs. Do I sacrifice the Arsenal result in the expectation that I'll get enough points against Fulham & Hull and Arsenal will drop points?

I'm just curious as to people's opinions on the best course of action.

Easy - sacrifice the Arsenal game. If you're 10 points clear after 35 games then i'd assume Fulham (home) and Hull (away) should be relatively straight-forward matches. If you risk more of your players and they get injured then you could not only lose the match but put your Champions League bid in jeopardy. If it was me, id play my youth, write that match off and concentrate on beating Fulham. :)

I'd stick with your 4-2-3-1 (option 1) knowing that just a point will secure the title. If things go wrong, you have another 2 matches to get over the line, but if things go right, the league is done n dusted, so you can rest players vs Hull and Fulham, and go for cup glory alongside your Premiership title.

Went for option 1 (stick with 4-2-3-1) and was going to play Pacheco until he got injured as well on the Friday before the game. Came away with a 0-0 as well. Could've won to be honest - Agger hit the post late on from a corner that wasn't cleared.

Archived