I decided to spend my time on Forums

As of today I quit playing the game. I loved the game. I think is it the most enjoyable version since Cm03-04. However I am having crash dump problem because of the memory usage problem.

I still want to feel like I am playing. Since the game is unplayable; I decided to spend my time on forums by reading the stories. So I feel like I am playing the game :-((

Have you installed the 10.2 patch? This patch is supposed to have fixed the memory problems. What is the spec of your computer?

I installed the 10.2. I was having crash dump problems before 10.2 patch, but never wrote anything about it since I was expecting the problem to be solved with 10.2.

My Spec are:

XP with SP2

Core2 Duo @2.33 Ghz

2 GB ram

Ati Radeon HP 4800 Series graph card

I am running the gmae with 30 Leagues and large database size.

I am in the middle of my second season. I found a solution to watch the memory usage on windows and restart the game when it reaches 1.4 gb. So I was restarting the game every 2-3 weeks. I wasn't happy with it, but I could live with it up to next patch. However lately my game starts crashing after each match. I was able to play 1 match, but had to restart to avoid the crash. It means that half of my game play time is restarting the game. So I quit playing and waiting a patch for this problem with my fingers crossed. Hopefully it will be released before 10.3.

I installed the 10.2. I was having crash dump problems before 10.2 patch, but never wrote anything about it since I was expecting the problem to be solved with 10.2.

My Spec are:

XP with SP2

Core2 Duo @2.33 Ghz

2 GB ram

Ati Radeon HP 4800 Series graph card

I am running the gmae with 30 Leagues and large database size.

I am in the middle of my second season. I found a solution to watch the memory usage on windows and restart the game when it reaches 1.4 gb. So I was restarting the game every 2-3 weeks. I wasn't happy with it, but I could live with it up to next patch. However lately my game starts crashing after each match. I was able to play 1 match, but had to restart to avoid the crash. It means that half of my game play time is restarting the game. So I quit playing and waiting a patch for this problem with my fingers crossed. Hopefully it will be released before 10.3.

Bolded your problem :thup:

Lots of leagues, not lots of memory.

I would buy extra memory, but it will not solve the problem. The game keeps adding memory even when it is idle. Even if I have 8 gb. of ram it will crash on 7.4 gb or 7.6gb. Having more memory will only delay the crash. It is not a solution for this problem.

only time i get crash dumps is occasionally when i access my team screen (F3), i can get past it by not selecting my team screen on that particular day but it is annoying and i have 6GB of ram and only 10 leagues loaded and im on 4th season.

Play with less leagues and/or smaller database and you dont have to waste your time here :p

It will also not solve the problem as I said the game keeps adding memory without releasing any of it. Moreover it is not fun with less number of leagues and less database. As I said I could buy more memory, but it'll only delay the crash.

only time i get crash dumps is occasionally when i access my team screen (F3), i can get past it by not selecting my team screen on that particular day but it is annoying and i have 6GB of ram and only 10 leagues loaded and im on 4th season.

6GB of ram and you are playing with 10 leagues only. It is not fun at all with less number of Leagues. I don't care about the speed of the game (It shouldn't take 10 minutes to pass a day of course),but when you resrtict yourself with only 10 Leagues it is not fun.

As I am Turkish I should have Turkey selected. Without saying we need England, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Germany, Greece,Portugal. I need Argentina, Brazil, Colombia for South American players plus USA. It adds up to 13. This is my minimum. I also hate when I have match with a team from unselected league in European Cup. The analysis of a team from an unselected league is like gambling.

6GB of ram and you are playing with 10 leagues only. It is not fun at all with less number of Leagues. I don't care about the speed of the game (It shouldn't take 10 minutes to pass a day of course),but when you resrtict yourself with only 10 Leagues it is not fun.

As I am Turkish I should have Turkey selected. Without saying we need England, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, Germany, Greece,Portugal. I need Argentina, Brazil, Colombia for South American players plus USA. It adds up to 13. This is my minimum. I also hate when I have match with a team from unselected league in European Cup. The analysis of a team from an unselected league is like gambling.

Whats your game performance rating? When you go on new game with that loaded?

I run a test in the mean time. Load the game (not my game only the fm). I am in the entrance screen where I have options to a new game-load last game-load game-Join Network game. You guys understand where I am I suppose. Minimize the fm, open the Windows task Manage and start watching the fm.exe's memor usage:

Fresh new load: 282 mb.

1min. : 294 mb.

2min. : 301 mb.

3min : 307 mb.

4min : 314 mb.

5min. : 321 mb.

So in an hour fm.exe will eat up 468mb. on avarage. The game crashes in my computer around 1.6-1.7 gb.

So 464*3 (hours)=1404mb.+282mb(fresh load)= 1686 mb. It means If I just leave the game without loading anything it will crash in 3 hour. So my problem is not related to number of leagues or to my computer's ram. At some point the game should release some of the memory it uses, but istead of releasing it adds up to it.

As of today I quit playing the game. I loved the game. I think is it the most enjoyable version since Cm03-04. However I am having crash dump problem because of the memory usage problem.

I still want to feel like I am playing. Since the game is unplayable; I decided to spend my time on forums by reading the stories. So I feel like I am playing the game :-((

I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

Hopefully the next patch which fix it.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

Hopefully the next patch which fix it.

Thank You Kickballz. I am having hard time to understand why most of the people run the game smoothly, and the others like me having this memory problems. I mean it should be something from me, but I am out of any ideas since I am using the latest patch.

Some posters don't seem to have a very good understanding of how RAM and virtual memory works.

As the OP has pointed out, this is unlikely to be a RAM issue. I think the fact that many others are experiencing similar problems suggests that this is more likely to be a software issue.

Some posters don't seem to have a very good understanding of how RAM and virtual memory works.

As the OP has pointed out, this is unlikely to be a RAM issue. I think the fact that many others are experiencing similar problems suggests that this is more likely to be a software issue.

Kickballz check post#17 in this thread. It is definitely RAM related issue. When the game is idle on entrance screen it eats up memory. Right now it is around 40 mins since I loaded the game, the game is idle and I am not running anything but the game. It started 282mb., and it is now 594 mb. Didn't load a game, Didn't start a new game what soever.

Hi "The Eagle", I don't know if you've tried this yet, but I am hopeful that if you haven't it could maybe help you.

Go to: http://www.iobit.com/

Download a programme called "Advanced System Care" for free.

If the add on's "Game Booster" and "Smart Ram" are not included, then download them for free too.

Game Booster stops all the unneccesary background services from running whilst you play, which helps me a lot on the memory front, but the one I'm hoping will be the greatest help to you, is Smart Ram.

When you run this programme, it sits in the background, freeing up and releasing memory from your running programmes that don't need to be using it. I really helps keep memory usage very low.

I don't know if it will work for you or not, but it has to be worth a try? Afterall, it's free, so you've nothing to lose in giving it a shot.

Hope it helps you out. :)

Kickballz check post#17 in this thread. It is definitely RAM related issue. When the game is idle on entrance screen it eats up memory. Right now it is around 40 mins since I loaded the game, the game is idle and I am not running anything but the game. It started 282mb., and it is now 594 mb. Didn't load a game, Didn't start a new game what soever.

Huh?

There are plenty of people playing with 2GB and have never had a crash. I can't see the logic of your example and conclusion.

Hi "The Eagle", I don't know if you've tried this yet, but I am hopeful that if you haven't it could maybe help you.

Go to: http://www.iobit.com/

Download a programme called "Advanced System Care" for free.

If the add on's "Game Booster" and "Smart Ram" are not included, then download them for free too.

Game Booster stops all the unneccesary background services from running whilst you play, which helps me a lot on the memory front, but the one I'm hoping will be the greatest help to you, is Smart Ram.

When you run this programme, it sits in the background, freeing up and releasing memory from your running programmes that don't need to be using it. I really helps keep memory usage very low.

I don't know if it will work for you or not, but it has to be worth a try? Afterall, it's free, so you've nothing to lose in giving it a shot.

Hope it helps you out. :)

Thanks Bennico. I didn't tried it yet. I will try, but I am not optimistic. Most probably it will free up the ram of the programs that I am not using. Fm.exe is the one I will be using while running the game. In anyway I will give it a try and let you know. Thanks for the help.

Huh?

There are plenty of people playing with 2GB and have never had a crash. I can't see the logic of your example and conclusion.

I know that plenty of people are not having problems. I also don't understand why I am having this problem.

If my problem is related to number of leagues, sounds, graphics anything other than the memory usage; memory usage of the game should differ around %10 or less on idle mode. I am saying that the game is idle on entrance screen CPU usage of fm is %0 for the last 70 minutes, but memory usage increased from 282mb. to 766mb. now. Are there any explanation to this other than the Memory problem?

Hope you fix the problem :( i feel terrible when i see threads like this.The problem seems very random,i can play with 20 leagues loaded with my crappy laptop,but you cant....****this,i wanna help but how can i,try running less leagues but load more players from the database maybe?idk ****

I know that plenty of people are not having problems. I also don't understand why I am having this problem.

If my problem is related to number of leagues, sounds, graphics anything other than the memory usage; memory usage of the game should differ around %10 or less on idle mode. I am saying that the game is idle on entrance screen CPU usage of fm is %0 for the last 70 minutes, but memory usage increased from 282mb. to 766mb. now. Are there any explanation to this other than the Memory problem?

yes, it doesn't sound at all like a memory problem.

If it was a fundamental memory problem then it would be affecting many more people.

It is perfectly normal for an application to use increasingly more memory the longer it is run - this is not the same as a memory leak.

Hope you fix the problem :( i feel terrible when i see threads like this.The problem seems very random,i can play with 20 leagues loaded with my crappy laptop,but you cant....****this,i wanna help but how can i,try running less leagues but load more players from the database maybe?idk ****

zebanumut thank you for your kind reply. As I said it will not help me. It is not related to number of leagues. fm.exe keeps increasing memory usage even in idle mode. So even with 1 league with the smallest database the game will crash after certain point. With my calculations even with 1 League+small db. it will crash in 1 to 2 hours. Also it doesn't worth playing with 1 League :-(((

yes, it doesn't sound at all like a memory problem.

If it was a fundamental memory problem then it would be affecting many more people.

It is perfectly normal for an application to use increasingly more memory the longer it is run - this is not the same as a memory leak.

So then even with 8GB. of a RAM the game will crash after certain point?

So then even with 8GB. of a RAM the game will crash after certain point?

No.

The amount of RAM has nothing to do with it. If you have 1GB, 2Gb or 8GB then the game should handle it fine in conjunction with the OS. It shouldn't crash at all.

I think your problem is not related to memory.

No.

The amount of RAM has nothing to do with it. If you have 1GB, 2Gb or 8GB then the game should handle it fine in conjunction with the OS. It shouldn't crash at all.

I think your problem is not related to memory.

Kickball I think I am not explaining well. I have 2GB. of Ram The computer itself uses around 300MB so if I only run fm.exe it can use only up to 1.7 GB. My game crashes when the memory usage of fm.exe is close to 1.7 GB., because there is no more RAM left for the game. If I have lets say 4Gb. of RAM the game will not crash at the same duration, because it will have another 2GB. of RAM. However there will be a point when the game will crash, because the memory usage of fm.exe will go up to 3.7GB.

Kickball I think I am not explaining well. I have 2GB. of Ram The computer itself uses around 300MB so if I only run fm.exe it can use only up to 1.7 GB. My game crashes when the memory usage of fm.exe is close to 1.7 GB., because there is no more RAM left for the game. If I have lets say 4Gb. of RAM the game will not crash at the same duration, because it will have another 2GB. of RAM. However there will be a point when the game will crash, because the memory usage of fm.exe will go up to 3.7GB.

Unless you have your virtual memory set to zero that makes no sense.

Operating systems don't just allow aplications to crash when there is no more memory. One of the main things you expect an OS to do is manage memory. Even if your fm.exe is using 1.7GB (doubtful) then it's not a problem since it will only be using what is available.

What OS are you using?

Unless you have your virtual memory set to zero that makes no sense.

Operating systems don't just allow aplications to crash when there is no more memory. One of the main things you expect an OS to do is manage memory. Even if your fm.exe is using 1.7GB (doubtful) then it's not a problem since it will only be using what is available.

What OS are you using?

I am using XP with SP2. I have seen fm.exe using close to 1.7 GB. I will post a screen-shot in a few minutes. As I said just after 1 match it reaches 1.7BG.

Mate.

Could you not just run a few leagues and medium database.

My specs aren't far off yours, and i'm not having many problems. I just have to be selective on how I configure my games.

I could, but it doesn't make any difference since the game itself keeps adding memory not releasing it :-((

lawl.. its perfectly normal for game to use 700 mb.. i had fm minimized for last 2-3 hours while watching movie, and playing before that for hour or two..

it sits bit over 700mb.. but in todays time 700 is 0

no self respecting game will ever go with less than that

heck my firefox uses 400 mb.. yes i use a lot of tabs.. and loads of times way beyond that ..

didnt had single crash since 10.1.1

if you running windowed mode.. run full screen, my game would only crash in windowed mode before patch.. well its perfect in windowed now too

I am using XP with SP2. I have seen fm.exe using close to 1.7 GB. I will post a screen-shot in a few minutes. As I said just after 1 match it reaches 1.7BG.

I have a system that I ran XP SP2 fm09 on and I never had to worry about the RAM because the RAM is managed and the game won't crash.

If Operating Systems couldn't manage memory then we wouldn't be able to run anything. You don't seem to appreciate that the OS knows how much memory your system has and it will manage it accordingly. It doesn't just get used up and then you crash.

While I was writing to this thread I followed Bennico's suggestion and load Advanced System Care. Interestingly I am now playing my third game with no crash yet. This is the longest since the last 2 days. I don't know whether it makes difference or not, but for the first 2 games for highlights I used "only commentary" in full match speed. Here are the screen-shots of those:

Just after loading my game

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/962/justafterloadingmygame.jpg

my first match-first half

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1420/myfirstgame.jpg

second half of my second match

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3525/secondhalfofthesecondga.jpg

I will try up to 7 games. I hope the game will not crash. I'll keep this thread updated after 7 matches.

I guess I speak to early. My game crashes as always, but the duration expanded 1 game, since I have "only commentary" set for the highlights of the first 2 games.

Here are the screen-shots:

3rd Game &Crash

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6807/3rdgamegamecrashes.jpg

Game Quits

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6773/gamequits.jpg

Unfortunately My OS can't handle the Memory correctly :-(( But it is only with FM2010. I didn't have this problem with Fm09 or Fm08 :-((

Like Kickballz says, it shouldn't crash just because your RAM is full. Try setting your paging file (controlpanel>system>advanced>peformance>settings>>advanced>virtualmemory>settings>change) to "system managed size".

I posted this somewhere else...might help.

My game has never crashed, and we have about 7 collective seasons added up on this PC (my nephew and brother both play as well).

I am sure the bugs arent entirely the users fault and may be due to some compatibility issue, but you cannot really blame SI. If it were a true programming bug, it would crash my game all the time too, but it doesn't and SI cannot really fathom every single possible pc configuration.

I used to work in IT and I remember the programmers used to say that 90% of all crashes are due to the customer not updating drivers or software and may have an extreemly unstable machine (ie no maintenance done for a long time)

I hope you can post on the bugs forum with your specifications, and how the crash happens and maybe upload your saved game.

So update every driver, sound driver, motherboard, video drivers, direct x, get all the updates for your operating system, even upgrade your modem files if need be! Then download something like CC Cleaner, fix up your registry, remove all old files from your pc (you will be amazed how many gig just sits in the temp folders causing havoc to the machine.), then download something like AVG Virus scanner, scan your pc, and run a few defrags. Then also use msconfig and turn everything off from your startup. I would also suggest removing all the fluff from your pc. Get rid of the fancy wall papers, remove the new style interfaces and revert back to "fastest performance" settings.

Even adjust your virtual memory settings...

Watch your pc fly with all these minor tweaks. Most people do not do these small things on the PC's and their hardrive integrity drops significantly. If you have not done any of these things for a long time, I suggest buying a new hard drive and starting from scratch. I also recommend Windows XP over Vista or any other OS. (MAC excluded).

In the mean time, I suggest you just save every week and try to make the best of things.

Hope this post helps a little.

I would agree with EL^ about updating drivers, but registry cleaners can be a bit risky in what they delete; if your computer is so full of junk it would probably be faster to reformat and clean install everything.

Like Kickballz says, it shouldn't crash just because your RAM is full. Try setting your paging file (controlpanel>system>advanced>peformance>settings>>advanced>virtualmemory>settings>change) to "system managed size".

Pob I did that, but still the memory usage increases dramatically in a short time. I am trying Smart RAM right now as Bennico suggested. It seems working as for now. After every game I do the smart clean and it lowers the memory usage dramatically. I hope the game won't crash more. I need some rest before tomorrow, and the tests will continue tomorrow.

I know one thing for sure though. Since lots of people are not having my kind of problem, there is something wrong going with my PC and fm.exe.

Thanks for anyone who tried to help me.

I would agree with EL^ about updating drivers, but registry cleaners can be a bit risky in what they delete; if your computer is so full of junk it would probably be faster to reformat and clean install everything.

My computer certainly don't need reformatting. I am using it only for games. I am not using internet at all in my desktop. Even for the updates I am downloading them to my laptop and transferring them to my desktop with USB drive. I might need reg. clean though, which I did it with Advanced System Care.

i agree with the long post by lavezzi, go and update everything. we know the problem is unique to you, and the only difference between you and someone else is your system

out of interest, could you load up fm.exe but do not enter your save, just stay on the homepage and see if you get the same problem?

also, if you have a friend, see if you can get one of their saves and try playing that. conversely, take your save and try to play it on theirs system

of course it should. thats what a crash dump is. the exe is requesting more memory from the OS so that it do whatever it wants to do. the OS says i dont have any left. exe says that without some more memory i cant continue, makes a copy of everything (the crash dump), and then the exe exits.

After taking a better look at your pics, task manager says there is enough virtual memory available (commit charge 2041M/3938).

Could you do a screenshot of the "performance" tab in task manager please? (doesn't matter if FM is running)

Have you used any memory intensive programs since your first crash with FM10? (total PC usage more than 2GB)

just stay on the homepage and see if you get the same problem...of course it should. thats what a crash dump is. the exe is requesting more memory from the OS so that it do whatever it wants to do. the OS says i dont have any left. exe says that without some more memory i cant continue, makes a copy of everything (the crash dump), and then the exe exits.

The Eagle says in post #17 that the memory consumption increases even when on the homepage.

If physical RAM isn't available, the OS should allocate some virtual memory on the harddisk.

Archived