Captaincy Criteria

Does anyone know what criteria staff use when suggesting captains? I notice that this year the annual news item is explicitly saying that players are listed in order of suitability, but I've generally only used Influence and seniority to decide. Given that in my current game my staff are recommending my highest-influence player (a new signing who hasn't made his debut yet!) first and my third-highest influence player (also my longest-serving) about 12th, I'm assuming there's now officially moe to it!

Ideally a high Influence, high Determination player with a good personality with decent or better Workrate and Teamwork is the best captain material. Preferably over the age of 22 and has been at the club for 2 years or more.

What I have done in the past if my preferred captain is too young is give him the vice-captain's role and make a player who would rarely play for the first team but with a high Influence and/or Determination captain.

That way the vice-captain doesn't feel under pressure at being made captain at a young age and the rest of the squad doesn't get unhappy because they feel that they're better captain material.

Influence, determination, work rate.

In that order for me, while the guy must always be an expected first XI member. If some guys are close together I also look at the personality where I look for professionalism. Usually no new signings, especially not when they are from abroad, and 23+ age but here I make exceptions, like for instance with Mark van Bommel who I signed for Newcastle after year 1 and made him my captain immediately.

hth :)

What I have done in the past if my preferred captain is too young is give him the vice-captain's role and make a player who would rarely play for the first team but with a high Influence and/or Determination captain.

That way the vice-captain doesn't feel under pressure at being made captain at a young age and the rest of the squad doesn't get unhappy because they feel that they're better captain material.

Clever, that. Good tip, cheers. :thup:

Ideally a high Influence, high Determination player with a good personality with decent or better Workrate and Teamwork is the best captain material. Preferably over the age of 22 and has been at the club for 2 years or more.

Perfect reply that!

This ^^ and I'd add can speak the native language of the team.

Influence is the most important for me, if I have players over 15 in that stat, I pretty much ignore anyone below that.

Determination and Decisions are also included in my thinking if there is more than 1 option.

Teamwork and Work Rate are pretty important on a par with Determination and Decisions if I have 2 or more candidates.

Seniority only sometimes plays a part. But they need to be first team players. Totti was my captain for 3 or 4 seasons on FM08, he didn't play for a lot of the last season he was captain, and I dropped him to vice captain in favour of De Rossi, who played more.

Of course if I have a favourite player that I want to make captain, then I will often choose him, even if another guy may have been a better choice.

I will never make a new signing captain, unless he is an outstanding candidate. Andrea Barzagli on FM08 was a perfect example of that. I always tried to sign him straight away with any team I managed. I also find that I rarely replace the existing captain or vice captain when I start a new game. I will just let them be, even if I don't play either of them in my first XI.

I have never taken Personality of the player into consideration. But after reading some posts here, I may start to.

Archived