SI to provide facepacks and nicer skins - too much to ask?

Pardon me if this sounds silly because I know next to nothing about creating a game.

I am wondering if SI can include facepacks for the next installation. I see it as a "natural progression" to making the game even more complete. Afterall, other than the match engine, there really is not a hell lot one can do to improve the game. You cannot run away from the look and feel. And tweaks to training, tactics can only be so much before it makes the game laborious. I guess the 3D engine is perhaps the only major improvement we will see in future games.

And come on, I am sure a lot of us are quite sick of seeing more or less the same look and feel of the interface. Having player faces and skins like Premier League, Champions League will bring a lot more dynamism and realism to the game.

I know there are third party facepacks and skins available but they sometimes create compatibility issues. Seeing how successful this game is, maybe SI can purchase the rights to these images and include it in the next game. If not, I am sure there are many volunteers who are willing to help with the imagery.

Or is it too much to ask for??? :p

Most developers are lazy, because they know they have provided the tools for the community to do alot better than they can(simply because the community is vaster in numbers, and therefore most ideas).

In fact the most poor designed games, with such tools are the greatest; WoW, Fallout 3, FM20xx, etc etc. Those that do not understand the importance of having poor design but tools grants better community, and therefore a better game experience and longivity(for some games) will not live long. The poorer the design, but with tools the greater chance that it will set creativity on community levels in motion.

It's a weird world, but that's how it is.

The problem with SI including Facepacks is I believe one of Licensing.

This :thup:

Hardly SI's fault when you look at the monopoly/strangelhold EA insists on having.

Kits are not working well in FM10, and I suspect that for licensing reasons SI has made it hard to mod.

Personally I like the FM10 skins, so much more fresh and modern than all the glaring duploesque offerings elsewhere.

The problem with SI including Facepacks is I believe one of Licensing. That's why they can't put the kits and logo's into the game so I'd say it's the same thing.

Hmm, then i reckon it would cost a bomb to purchase the rights eh? Like each of us having to pay a lot more than we would for the game right now? To be honest, I cannot imagine the game looking more or less the same in years to come.

Yeah the facepacks definitely need license rights. But I don't really mind since I have a source where they put together like over 9000 facepacks for FM. It's a Korean site though :p

Also with the skins, there are plenty of unofficial skins that work well. So it would really be a waste of time for SI to concentrate so much on this, since they already have so much to do in so little time.

As said, facepacks would cost a lot of money, and we can download them for free.

Skins is a different matter. I think SI should include a wide range of skins in FM11. Over in the Skinning Forum there are a good few brilliant skin creators - I'm sure they would be only to pleased to work on official skins for FM11 if given the code in advance, for very little payment or just the glory.

Licensing issues for facepacks - that's why you have some, and don't have the others. And it's not an issue of paying money sometimes. Maybe another company have held the rights?

Skins - I'm ok with the current situation. SI provides a basic few, and leaves the community to come out with customised others. Think about it. As with facepacks, you can choose from a variety in the skinning forums. I'm for it if it helps to keep costs down and give the developers more time to improve on other areas of the game.

I think the Sound needs working on, more than facepacks and skins. The difference between playing FM with and without a soundpack is huge. In my opinion.
I completely agree. It's hard to think that it was better 15 years ago or whatever. Now it's noise on par with something poor on C64. Horrid really.

I can understand the sound issue for some people. I never liked it, but then I usually play FM with something else on in the background, like the telly or the radio, so I always turn the sound off anyway.

I doubt they'll ever get the licence away from EA Sports for Premier League facepacks, though.

And as for skins, like sound I understand why some folk would like different ones but for me it's just another distraction they don't need.

I'd prefer they devoted all thier time to the nuts and bolts of the game rather than a few more pretty tablecloths over the engine. And let's face it, no matter how many skin SI released they'd never satisfy everybody. There are enough third-party skinners to do that.

• SI Staff
Pardon me if this sounds silly because I know next to nothing about creating a game.

I am wondering if SI can include facepacks for the next installation. I see it as a "natural progression" to making the game even more complete. Afterall, other than the match engine, there really is not a hell lot one can do to improve the game. You cannot run away from the look and feel. And tweaks to training, tactics can only be so much before it makes the game laborious. I guess the 3D engine is perhaps the only major improvement we will see in future games.

And come on, I am sure a lot of us are quite sick of seeing more or less the same look and feel of the interface. Having player faces and skins like Premier League, Champions League will bring a lot more dynamism and realism to the game.

I know there are third party facepacks and skins available but they sometimes create compatibility issues. Seeing how successful this game is, maybe SI can purchase the rights to these images and include it in the next game. If not, I am sure there are many volunteers who are willing to help with the imagery.

Or is it too much to ask for??? :p

It is too much to ask for as we don't have the rights to include any English Premier League assets or Champions League assets. Quite often these are exclusively owned by other companies meaning we cannot get them. Most of these are long term deals so don't be expecting to see them any time soon. And even at that, if past experiences are anything to go by then these deals will be renewed.

• SI Staff
Skins is a different matter. I think SI should include a wide range of skins in FM11. Over in the Skinning Forum there are a good few brilliant skin creators - I'm sure they would be only to pleased to work on official skins for FM11 if given the code in advance, for very little payment or just the glory.

We've tried this before and it caused a lot of development problems. It may be something to explore again in the future but unless some changes are made to the current system then we're always going to suffer from these problems. There were quite a few problems encountered when creating the FM 2009 skin for FM 2010 which highlighted things that need to be changed for the better.

For the first time (I think ever) I like the default FM skin (dark). It's easy on the eyes and IMO the interface is easy to navigate around :thup:. I've always 'had' to download a skin, usually Steklo, because I just couldn't play the game with the shocking skins before.

I'd like facepacks/logos to be included but as said, due to licensing reasons it's impossible. Thanks to the hard work though from people and their generousity in providing them for free I can still get all facepacks/logos, which IMO, make the game much more enjoyable to play. I hate playing without the proper badges/logos.

Archived