Playing Away

I always use the formation 4-4-2 diamond, home or away. I always employ a defensive midfielder no matter what.

On previous FM's I always played an attacking style, home or away. I still find I can do this with the best teams in a division (so Chelsea, Newcastle, Leeds, Rotherham, etc). However, with Burnley I was getting a few pastings away from home, so depending on opposition I play defensive or counter, and go more attacking if we are losing. However, unlike previous FM's, I don't go too attacking now as I find I then ship loads of goals, best to keep it safe with a small club.

With a small club away from home I play a flat back four, on normal defensive duties, a DM (Anchor Man) and a CM (Ball Winning) with two wingers, and two strikers (Advanced Forward and a Target Man).

Without bragging, I am successful with my teams in 95% of seasons. Using this system I have got Burnley to 12th last year (after a slow start using just attacking, until I changed), this season I am 4th after 32 games, but if teams below me win their games in hand I will drop to 6th. Still highly successful.

Also using this system I won the 9th tier of English football (I forget the league) with Parkgate, and I am now running away with the league in the division above.

I also took Southend to the Prem.

I shut up shop with counter attacking wingers and the two strikers chasing everything. Shoot on sight has got me some great wins too.

Flat back four of defenders

Two holding midfielders

Wingers attacking and two target men.

Pass into feet and shoot on sight.

Archived