Is FM 2009 really necessary when FM 2008 is not finished?

Because, the FM 2009 as announced by SI will be the 8.0.3 patch of FM 2008. Selling a patch for the previous version as a new version is, well…, just wait for some US customers to start complaining and issue a class action…

Originally posted by al23:

Because, the FM 2009 as announced by SI will be the 8.0.3 patch of FM 2008. Selling a patch for the previous version as a new version is, well…, just wait for some US customers to start complaining and issue a class action…

The very very vast majority of existing FM08 owners will be looking forward to FM2009 in the knowledge that FM08 is in the scale of things pretty good when patched at 8.02

Patches don't contain enhancements and new features. Thats called a new release

Yes it's necessary. SI are a business and they therefore need to battle it out with their competitors, which means releasing the game every year.

And imo '08 is finished now that the 8.0.2 patch is out and FM09 will be just that. It's foolish to start speculating what features will/will not be in the next game until SI have actually released some details. For all you know it may be a radically different game this time around. But it's all conjucture because none of us know.

This argument has been made before, and it's not very convincing. As MrPompey points out, a new release generally contains new features, and is a measure of how the game is moving forward.

People complained bitterly about CM4, certainly the most turgid version of the game I ever played, but the fact is that CM4 was a major step in the evolution of the game.

8.0.2 has some problems - the resgistration bug in some countries the worst of the lot - but it's still an enjoyable game to play.

I was playing the most enjoyable career game I'd had in a very long time in FM 7.0.2 when FM08 came out. I didn't even hesitate, and I've never gone back to that 07 game.

just remember this thread when you'll be installing patch 9.0.2 desperate to have your beloved game working as it should! it's too ridiculous, every version is the same trap, need to wait for patch 15 to have things corrected, if of course they occur in the Premiership, otherwise, well, wait for version FM2069 and maybe have other leagues and championships working as they should.

purchasing a game that doesn't work despite 2 patches and being proud of it, that's the most stupid thing I ever heard for quite some time, but maybe you like that?

My game works fine. A couple of things that could be improved, but then that's always the case. Then again, I've had some experience dealing with real problems, so when a computer game doesn't work the way I'd like, I tend not to think the world is coming to an end.

stokes_83:

purchasing a game that doesn't work despite 2 patches and being proud of it, that's the most stupid thing I ever heard for quite some time, but maybe you like that?

The game doesn't work? You're funny.

Some people have waaay to high expectations of complex software!

Thankfully the culture of suing people for the slightest and most ridiculous of reasons hasn't completely caught on over here in England yet and I hope it never will. Mind you, someone is suing a bookmaker because he lost money placing bets...

Originally posted by gunnerfan:

My game works fine. A couple of things that could be improved, but then that's always the case. Then again, I've had some experience dealing with real problems, so when a computer game doesn't work the way I'd like, I tend not to think the world is coming to an end.

Really couldn't have put it better myself.

To the OP, grow up. It's a game, if you don't like it and feel it's not up to your high standards then simply get rid of it, play something else, and don't buy the next one. That would be the sensible thing to do would it not?

This thread is almost as daft as the one where the guy reckoned he had reported SI to Watchdog.

I can just see Miles Jacobsen being interrogated by Nicky Campbell as to why to many goals are scored from corners icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by al23:

My game works fine. A couple of things that could be improved, but then that's always the case. Then again, I've had some experience dealing with real problems, so when a computer game doesn't work the way I'd like, I tend not to think the world is coming to an end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

-----------------

What a fantastic answer to the idiots that complain like their life is over when something goes wrong on this COMPUTER game.

Originally posted by swash:

This thread is almost as daft as the one where the guy reckoned he had reported SI to Watchdog.

I can just see Miles Jacobsen being interrogated by Nicky Campbell as to why to many goals are scored from corners icon_biggrin.gif

In fact SI WERE once featured on Watchdog!

I think it was because of all the bugs present in CM3 if memory serves correctly....

Originally posted by glamdring:

Thankfully the culture of suing people for the slightest and most ridiculous of reasons hasn't completely caught on over here in England yet and I hope it never will. Mind you, someone is suing a bookmaker because he lost money placing bets...

IIRC, UK law provides that the loser in a civil action pays all the legal costs. A very wise law that I dearly wish we would adopt in the US, where some people file papers before they brush their teeth in the morning.

Hey, once people sued McDonalds because they couldn't control their own eating, anything was possible. icon_wink.gif

Nah thats the same argument as barkeeps that server drunks day in day out.

Doesn't hold up.

If your 'food' is msg, salt and fat with extra sugar. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by ncfcgee:

I've said this before and i'll say it again, tell me a game these days that doesn't require patches to fix things, there is no such thing.

I don't agree with the original poster in the slightest, but I am slightly curious.

Can you name 5 games released in the last 2 years that have needed two patches?

I can't actually think of any of the top of my head!

Originally posted by This field intentionally left blank:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">UK law provides that the loser in a civil action pays all the legal costs

Isn't also 6x legal costs if the suit is deemed frivolous? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

:admiration climbing rapidly:

Originally posted by This field intentionally left blank:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">UK law provides that the loser in a civil action pays all the legal costs

Isn't also 6x legal costs if the suit is deemed frivolous? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it is an extra match ban (but only if you are a mid to lower premier league team). icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Originally posted by DamianY2J:

I don't agree with the original poster in the slightest, but I am slightly curious.

Apparently CM2008 doesn't need even one patch, according to Eidos. The cheers of delight from the CM forums have been deafening...

...at least, I think those are cheers.

I'm just forever hearing people say on here "Every computer game needs patching", and "you can't expect a game this complex to be 100%".

I just genuinely trying to remember what other PC in the top 20 chart needed 2 patches?

Can anyone think of any, or is it just FM?

SI staffs and employees need to eat and they need income from selling the game each year. FM09 will also contain a few (if not many) new features. Many people are also going to get it. If you don't want one, then don't buy it.

I'm also a US customer and I don't think anyone would be foolish to issue a class action. Things will be added and it won't be 8.0.3 patch. Maybe you should wait and find out more information before start making any claims.

The game is also enjoyable for many people including me.

Only because you can't win the game, doesn't mean the game doesn't work.

Originally posted by swash:

Hehe that made me laugh...almost as much as this thread.

If we have an end of year awards then this thread is a banker to get a nomination for most ridiculous post.

Some of these claims from disgruntled players are bordering on insanity. Anyone who says the current game does not work needs their head examined.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ncfcgee:

I've said this before and i'll say it again, tell me a game these days that doesn't require patches to fix things, there is no such thing.

I can't actually think of any of the top of my head! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe Civ 4 had 2 patches. MMO's have constant patches adding up to many more than 2.

Here's the downloads page for IGN - IGN. Many of the games listed are for second patches.

Games are expansive in this day and age, they get bigger and bigger every year. The bigger a game then the more that can go wrong with it, hence it needs fixing. Not everything can be caught in testing.

FM08 has never been unplayable, it has merely had small irregularities some areas. The fact that any one player can choose one of hundreds of football clubs and buy any of thousands of players means that it is virtually impossible for SI to test everything.

Even if no other games had 2 patches, but FM did, then that would mean nothing as FM is so vast. It is as vast as an MMO which needs constant patching, so you could say SI have done very well indeed.

If the game was unable to be played because drastic bugs crashed the game every time you pressed continue then people would have something to complain seriously about.

purchasing a game that doesn't work despite 2 patches and being proud of it, that's the most stupid thing I ever heard for quite some time,

al I had a bit of time for you before this thread and the above post. My game works fine thank you very much, as I'm sure does most people's.

And then as I sip my coffee and smoke my cig, I wonder why myself and others bother coming here to this forum when its full of moronic remarks like that. I also used to wonder why so many regulars here over the years have left the forums...

1. You don't pay for the game, you pay for a license to install and run the game - there's an important difference there

2. Every game needs a patch these days, many need more - the majority of them have much larger budgets and development time than SI and FM have.

3. CM2008 does need a patch, quite desperately.

Originally posted by Ackter:

1. You don't pay for the game, you pay for a license to install and run the game - there's an important difference there

2. Every game needs a patch these days, many need more - the majority of them have much larger budgets and development time than SI and FM have.

3. CM2008 does need a patch, quite desperately.

It's not even getting a data update I'm told.

FM08 is still by fat the best in the series and I'm loving it even though there are a few issues with it.

To say after 2 patches it is not working or unplayable is laughable.

Can we all remember the release day of CM4? Now that was some day....

You are an idiot

I'm just forever hearing people say on here "Every computer game needs patching", and "you can't expect a game this complex to be 100%".

I just genuinely trying to remember what other PC in the top 20 chart needed 2 patches?

Medieval II total war is still bugged as f**k. And they have release, not only a number of patches, but an add-on as well.

Originally posted by andyinuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamianY2J:

Medieval II total war is still bugged as f**k. And they have release, not only a number of patches, but an add-on as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Add-ons don't really count because they tend to present the game in a different light, i.e, The Sims on the Beach or whatever, or add-ons for war games where they have to fight in a jungle instead of a warehouse, etc, etc. Add-ons aren't really patches.

But thanks for listing a few games. I wasn't trying to make FM look bad, I just couldn't think of too many PC games that need them, and I wanted some ammunition to argue against a few of the posters on here.

Originally posted by anagain:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by swash:

Hehe that made me laugh...almost as much as this thread.

If we have an end of year awards then this thread is a banker to get a nomination for most ridiculous post.

Some of these claims from disgruntled players are bordering on insanity. Anyone who says the current game does not work needs their head examined. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm telling you that the CM series WAS featured on Watchdog once. And SI/Eidos got a vicious tongue-lashing by Anne Robinson, which is a pretty gruelling experience by any measure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ncfcgee:

Most of them do, whether they get them or not is a different question ....

Get an xbox 360 icon_smile.gif Every second week there's some update to each games it seems.

Archived