Advice on new game

With every edition of FM, I have played as my favorite Manchester United. Not to say that it isn't fun playing, but I want to give myself a new personal challenge and was hoping to get a little insight from the community. My thinking was to try one of the following from the English leagues:

1. Try to get a former European Champion back to the top - this would obviously be a team like Nottingham Forest or Aston Villa;

2. Seeing as no team from the southwest of England has every won the top division, try a team from that area (i.e. Plymouth);

3. Try to get one of Welsh clubs - Cardiff, Swansea, Exeter - to win the top division.

What are the thoughts out there?

Thanks

I think he meant Wrexham. ;)

I think you should do the first one

1. Try to get a former European Team back to the top
Maybe try and get Leeds from League one back to the top level.

Although i see Man Utd is your favourite club so not sure wether that would be something you could let yourself do. :D

I think he meant Wrexham. ;)

I think you should do the first one Maybe try and get Leeds from League one back to the top level.

Although i see Man Utd is your favourite club so not sure wether that would be something you could let yourself do. :D

I'm sorry - yes, I did mean Wrexham. You are also right about the Leeds situation. I just don't think I could let myself help them back to the top.

You also missed out a fair few ;)

FWIW :

Cardiff City

Swansea City

Wrexham

Newport County

Merthyr Tydfil

Colwyn Bay.

I didn't intend to leave out the others, I just put together a brief list when I laid out my possibilities. Thank you for filling in the blank spaces.

On a personal level, i'm bored with England and like to expand my knowledge with teams abroad.

Serie A is a great challenge, especially someone like Genoa who have recently qualified for Europe again after being absent for so long. Theres so many teams on an equal footing in Italy, not to mention the dominate teams, so it's a real challenge to get Genoa up to Champions.

1. Try to get a former European Champion back to the top - this would obviously be a team like Nottingham Forest or Aston Villa

Well, choosing Forest would be more interesting than Villa imo, cos you'd have to take the step up and improve the squad for a new shot at Cl glory. At Villa you already have a squad in place that can reasonably get into the top 4 in the first season.

Have you considered managing outside of England? There are more former European Cup winners that aren't the forces they once were: Dortmund, Red Star, Steaua, Feyenoord...

On a personal level, i'm bored with England and like to expand my knowledge with teams abroad.

Serie A is a great challenge, especially someone like Genoa who have recently qualified for Europe again after being absent for so long. Theres so many teams on an equal footing in Italy, not to mention the dominate teams, so it's a real challenge to get Genoa up to Champions.

I have thought of other countries as well. Since I am of German descent, I've considered Kaiserslautern, Rostock or Kiel; the Scot in me has also considered a team from there; unfortunately, the teams from Ireland don't seem to have much of a chance, or even the teams from the Welsh League. I've also thought of trying something in either Italy or Spain.

genoa dominated on my game, i've seen it in the past too.

Well, choosing Forest would be more interesting than Villa imo, cos you'd have to take the step up and improve the squad for a new shot at Cl glory. At Villa you already have a squad in place that can reasonably get into the top 4 in the first season.

Have you considered managing outside of England? There are more former European Cup winners that aren't the forces they once were: Dortmund, Red Star, Steaua, Feyenoord...

In the course of one of my past games on '07 I did manage in the Dutch League with Ajax, so handling a team in that league would not be so bad. Feynoord is not such a bad idea since they have certainly fallen down a bit in the pecking order in Holland.

Archived