1 on1 chances in 10.2

Wasn't this issue raised three or two years ago? Someone did some research and showed that in real life, only 20% of 1 on 1s are converted. I can be wrong about this because my memory isn't what it used to be.. But its definitely true at least that the majority of 1 on 1s are not converted in real life.

My strikers are doing the buisness still.

They seem better one on one from what I've seen.

Only played 2 months on the game since then though. But my strikers, if anything have been scoring more.

Doesn't mean **** though, too small a sample to make conclusions yet.

The goalies seem better as well.

The goalies are definitely better with the patch. They seem to block the 1 on 1s quite well.

I haven't played too many games to know for sure, but I think it has a lot to do with the angle and the timing of the shots.

If the angle is too narrow, they will miss easily. Also if the striker doesn't shoot until he is kinda too close to the keeper, he will find no angle to go past.

Usually they seem to score well when they take the shot just inside the box.

There's definitely some pockets of frustration, but it doesn't happen ALL the time, so it's still ok I guess.

But it's a bit funny how the goalies always seem to get 7.5 and above rating so often.

Very close-range chances are going straight at the keeper a lot more.

Those strikers with great stats (Tevez, David Villa, Robinho) are doing fine for me. When put through with a through-ball they shoot just inside the area and usually score. When it falls at their feet right next to the keeper they usually hit it right at him.

In terms of "realism" the end results, ie, number of goals scored, are probably about right for me. I think it's the number of one-v-ones CREATED that are still the issue, giving us a poor conversion ratio. Not sure if this means they've upped GK ability or toned down finishing.

I know it's frustrating and it throws match stats out a bit, but over a season it'll work out in terms of results. It is for me, anyway.

played 1 game with 10.2 against inter in the super cup(im roma). and cristiana ronaldo missed like 6,7 one-one-ones against doni.

ya you see this is the issue i have.

someone posted above the 20% statistic on one-on-ones which i can accept but surely that percentage is much higher when it comes to the cristiano ronaldo's and higuain's of this world... but it doesn't seem to be the case in this game.

ya you see this is the issue i have.

someone posted above the 20% statistic on one-on-ones which i can accept but surely that percentage is much higher when it comes to the cristiano ronaldo's and higuain's of this world... but it doesn't seem to be the case in this game.

One game is hardly a realistic sample is it. Surely you must accept that even the great Cristiano can have a poor game? (CL final anyone?)

SI mentioned last year that they there numbers are based on EPL data and they are around 20-25% (or maybe 30%).I don't think that engine can differentiate percentages per each league yet.So percentages used in game would be universal( and strictly based on EPL stats in this case ).As for individual players , chance percentage does increase with certain stats being above average.

Said that you will have tendency to see someone like C.Ronaldo scoring higher percentage then some average EPL player. But to expect for C.Ronaldo(or someone like him) to score out of majority of situations would be still highly unrealistic. His percentage would be still at least bellow 40% , considering that he is facing some equally great goalies in his league(not saying that each one is great though).Not to mention that several other factors could and will effect chance percentage(angle of approach, how far is defender, goalies stats for 1 on 1 , pitch condition, player's conditions, current form etc..)

What i am seeing in FM 10 so far doesn't tend to drift away from what it should be, i scored roughly around that percentage and conceded around same one.Lot of people only see their guy standing in front of goalie and they expect certain goal, which is far away from reality.

Guest El Payaso
They are about right now :thup: Patch worked perfectly.
Too many of clear cut chances when you compare it to real life. In real football you may see one or two clear cut chances in a game, in FM you might see 10 of those...

It also has a lot to do with reality.

In reality, when even good players miss very easy chances, we are disappointed or frustrated but we accept them because what happened is what happened.

But in FM, we know that it's a program and not a complete reality. So it's more mathematical and theoretical. So we look at it differently and say 'That should have been a goal. This must be a bug.'

We don't really say 'He is throwing the game' when a real player misses good chances. So I think that is the difference in view.

But I do agree that the strikers seem to not aim well and just give it straight to the keeper often. At least they should 'try' to score...

So far I found that the number of goals are quite acceptable at least.

Too many of clear cut chances when you compare it to real life. In real football you may see one or two clear cut chances in a game, in FM you might see 10 of those...

Can you upload some pkms involving 10 clear cut chances (not just one match)?

You're seeing way more than I am and the rough averages I'm seeing in AI vs AI matches. Just curious to see why exactly you are outperforming what I'm doing and what the AI is doing.

In real life, it's about 15-20% for all chances, about 30-35% for one-on-ones. And that's pretty consistent across all levels of ability and leagues.

I used to study all the OPTA stats, which is how I know. I can't be bothered doing that any more.

Hmm, I'm normally not one to complain, and I guess it'll work out eventually. It's just right now I'm not really agreeing with the latest patch... I noticed while playing today that my team (AZ) is suddenly not scoring any more. Last season I finished 2nd in the league and semi-finals in CL, so all was going well. I felt I had improved the squad with some good signings and the pre-season and first 2 games of the season were showing a lot of promise. Suddenly I started drawing and loosing games I should not loose at all. Not by status, not by quality and not by stats. I didn't realize this was possibly due to the new patch until I read that 10.2 was released just a while ago.

Some stats since 10.2:

1-1 against Utrecht. 16 shots, 10 on target (utrecht. 5 shots, 4 on target)

1-1 against Basel (Ch. Lg qual). 25 shots, 13 on target (basel. 9 shots, 3 on target)

1-0 against Ajax (WIN!). 19 shots, 12 on target (ajax 8 shots, 4 on target)

1-2 against Basel (Ch. Lg qual). 26 shots, 14 on target (basel. 4 shots, 4 on target)

1-1 against Sparta. 14 shots, 4 on target (sparta. 5 shots, 3 on target)

0-0 against Standard (UEFA cup). 13 shots, 6 on target (standard. 15 shots, 8 on target) balanced match, so for once a 0-0 is realistic

1-1 against NAC. balanced match again, realistic

0-0 against Zwolle (cup, lost 5-3 on penalties). 28 shots, 8 on target (zwolle. 6 shots, 2 on target)

So overall, I've had 6 goals for, and 6 goals against. The only issue is, I needed 149 shots, while my opponents needed 55 for the same 6 goals. My goalkeeper has a 7.10 rating over the last 5 games, so it can't be a horrible GK either...

Anyways, like I said, I'll figure it out and move on. But it's "interesting" at the very least...

I think a lot of the aspects of the game has been changed since the patch and now quite a few people are not getting the same result with the previous tactics. You might need to work on improving your tactics according to the new patch I think...

Strikers (and everyone else but strikers have the most opportunities) miss ridiculously easy chances by shooting it straight at the keeper. I believe this is a temporary fix for the major problem which is that it is way too easy to create excellent chances. SI couldn't fix this without completely re-doing the match engine and they had tons of complaints about strikers scoring billions of goals, so the solution is pretty obvious: make finishing horrible all across the board. This way, the scorelines are more realistic, even if this means every player has the finishing ability of a toddler. It's like putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound, it may staunch the bleeding a little bit and you may think it's OK at first, but the seepage eventually builds up until it spurts out like Old Faithful, and, it's only then that you realize, there is something wrong with the wound and a little band-aid won't to the trick.

I think my players are doing better. I am managing Benfica second season. Of course some goalkeepers are good and block the shot, but alot of the times, my players aim for the sides and tend to score just as much as the previous patches.

Well I blamed it on my new striker not living up to my expectations (1 goal in 6 games), but it seems to be a more general issue.

The odd part is: I score more or less like in 10.1, but I concede much less. I'm 6-0-0, with 14-2 goal difference. Most common result is 2-0, while in the previous season I had like a dozen 3-2 matches (and dozen is meant LITERALLY).

So, with the same team and a teorically better striker [Prica left, Janczyk took over], the goal tally is slightly lower, but the amount of goals conceded has dropped significantly.

My strikers struggle and squander tons of good chances, but my midfielders still bag goals without problems. Two of them scored an hat-trick already and didn't waste any one-on-ones.

So maybe is just a striker-related issue? Too much scoring in 10.1 was "solved" by going to the opposite extreme in 10.2?

It does beg the question what can be done with the tactics? I getting huge numbers of shots, most on target and not qualified as long shots but very few goals. What I mean is my tactics help create the chances, and that works, but what can be done by the manager to finish off these chances?

I can't think of anything.

People dont realise how hard it is to balance.

We have something decent with FM, please learn to live with it.

The only reason it seems your are missing a lot of one on ones is because you see a lot of games in highlights mode, and play a lot of consecutive games, so it appears to be an issue compared to real life.

Statistically speaking, the one on one chances are probably the same in game and in real life. SI run a lot of tests to ensure that over a number of seasons, averages are similar to real life, give or take a few %.

Can you upload some pkms involving 10 clear cut chances (not just one match)?

You're seeing way more than I am and the rough averages I'm seeing in AI vs AI matches. Just curious to see why exactly you are outperforming what I'm doing and what the AI is doing.

Here are three matches where only my team created 9CCC twice and 12CCC once. :)

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=49408229934875515483

Here are three matches where only my team created 9CCC twice and 12CCC once. :)

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=49408229934875515483

Thanks blab, appreciated. Had a look at the Kaiserslautern match and I’ve seen all of these types of chances and if I am honest I am not a big fan of how they play out in of themselves (I’m a bit like Alan Hansen when it comes to looking at the match engine, crap defending rather than good attacking). I can honestly say in all of the matches I looked at I have never seen this many CCCs and the same types of defensive errors so concentrated. I can fully understand how someone might look at that pkm and think either finishing is crap/superkeepers (the perspective here) or defending is crap (my perspective based on that pkm in isolation).

Part of me is wondering if it is a balance of attributes issue as you have a very good team…

In any case I would urge anybody talking about tactics etc to look at the chances he creates in the 12 CCC pkm of Bayern vs Kaiserslautern. It might help you to refrain from saying ‘it’s your tactics as I don’t have this happen’ because looking at it makes it very easy to understand the frustration. His tactics are creating very good chances by any standards so arguments about his tactics are pointless given what the feedback mechanisms are showing.

Watching the Kaiserslautern game in isolation it's pretty hard to say there's one particular problem. By my count 8 of the CCCs were 1v1 chances, only one goal was scored. Of the other 7 there was a real variety of reasons goals weren't scored, 1 was well saved, 1 missed the net, 2 were closed down by the keeper and the other 3 were shot either straight at the keeper or at least close enough to be a fairly routine looking save.

does no one get tired of having to change their tactics to beat a match engine instead of applying their own tactical views in today's football.

it's a bit dissapointing. we're not playing against Madrid, Valencia, Man Utd, etc.. We're playing against a match engine. the one on one is probably our tactic taking advantage of a defensive bug, that brings no reward to us.

Here's a breakdown for the start of my season:

Tottenham 	1-2 (L) 3ccc (me) - 4ccc (them)
Portsmouth 	2-1 (W) 6ccc - 3ccc
Crystal Palace 	2-0 (W) 3ccc - 1ccc
Bristol Rovers 	1-0 (W) 7ccc - 1ccc LC
Blackburn 	1-1 (D) 5ccc - 0ccc
Wigan		2-0 (W) 5ccc - 2ccc
Birmingham 	1-0 (w)	1ccc - 0ccc
Portsmouth	1-0 (W)	3ccc - 3ccc LC
Newcastle 	2-1 (W)	4ccc - 2ccc
Wolves		0-1 (L) 2ccc - 0ccc
Man United	1-1 (D)	4ccc - 1ccc
Everton 	3-1 (W) 4ccc - 2ccc
Cardiff		1-0 (W) 3ccc - 0ccc LC
Arsenal 	0-1 (L) 4ccc - 0ccc

This means I have scored 18 goals on 54ccc (33%) while my opponents have scored 9 goals on 19ccc (47%). A majority of the ccc seem to be put straight at the keeper.

EDIT: now a 2-2 draw with West Ham - 5ccc for me and 2ccc for them (neither being their goals). Really getting sick of this :(

I second this problem. After recently acquiring Kroos, Aguero & Morimoto i have been hammering teams in terms of possession & CCC's. However, it seems the better you get the worse it is...

My last 3 games i won 1 - 0, drew 2 - 2 and drew 1 - 1.

Their keeper was man of the match all 3 times.. and i had a total of 19 CCC's to their 6 CCC's. Just all the one-on-ones are straight at the keeper, saved in style or " How did he miss that?!?!" . I have quality players with quality stats ! There is no real explanation for it.

• Administrators
I second this problem. After recently acquiring Kroos, Aguero & Morimoto i have been hammering teams in terms of possession & CCC's. However, it seems the better you get the worse it is...

My last 3 games i won 1 - 0, drew 2 - 2 and drew 1 - 1.

Their keeper was man of the match all 3 times.. and i had a total of 19 CCC's to their 6 CCC's. Just all the one-on-ones are straight at the keeper, saved in style or " How did he miss that?!?!" . I have quality players with quality stats ! There is no real explanation for it.

Well there is, the match engine is creating a few too many chances but is calculating a realistic chance/score ratio which means there are the correct number of goals but probably too many clear-cut chances. You will score some of these chances, making more chances doesn't mean your less likely to score and there is no conspiracy.

Ahh ok. Thank you for taking the time to explain Neil. Much appreciated.

However, whilst i understand what you're saying it does make it hard to establish what your team is doing wrong and can thus be misleading. Whilst it seems there is the simple problem of strikers not being clinical enough / super goalies....

It could be something else entirely - that is only reflected by my missing simple chances??

Started a new game as Man Utd after repatching the game. On a closer look i am finding that when the 1v1 chances are straight on, my players are missing most of the chances but if the 1v1 chances are coming at an angle, then i am finding the conversion ratio to be a bit better (1 in 3 chances or so)

Archived