The staff of the future

I have a feeling that this complaint might actually be obsolete now that the second patch has been released. I read the change list of the patch but I didn't see anything relevant to the issue, other than newgen development.

I downloaded Unknown Hacker's save game that begins in the year 2160, just for the sake of curiosity and I quickly noticed some ugly things. Staff, to be exact. Instead of trying to explain it all with words I'll use some screenshots I took during a regular staff search.

Pay close attention to the filter!

Note: an unfiltered search came up with 5000 staff members

Filtered search

generalstaffsearch.png

Results

generalstaffsearchresul.png

Filtered search

worldclassstaffsearch.png

Results

worldclassstaffsearchre.png

A suppement:

World class coach

worldclasscoach.png

I think most of you can see what's wrong with these pictures. I'd upload more but I think these suffice for the time being. I think it was a patch for FM09 that introduced the new system where mental attributes like Motivating and Determination would play a role in judging the quality of your staff. Not bad but potentially problematic, as you can see. I would also like to mention that Unknown Hacker's game is unpatched, I think. Don't know for sure though.

rinso

With no reputation filter:

Determination and Motivating at least 15

The search came up with 2 hits.

Determination and Motivating at least 13

The search came up with 13 hits

Determination at least 10, Motivating at least 18

The search came up with 5 hits (all managers)

Determination at least 16, Motivating at least 10

The search came up with 8 hits (80% physios)

Staff have been pretty messed up for a while. You get youth coaches who can't work with youngsters, scouts who can coach instead of scout, terrible mental stats, and managers with no real tactical acumen at all. It doesn't resemble the original database at all and the player is perfectly capable of picking up every single good assistant manager/coach/scout in the game.

luiskumar.png

I know it's not particularly relevant but I was more than a little surprised seeing this.

:confused:

This is one of the reasons I don't believe in pre-set positions for young players. A 5 foot 7 centre half might be better suited as either a full back or DMC maybe. I know that, but what about the AI teams? I doubt they would adapt like that. If good old Luis Kumar here has a PA of 185 (hypothetically) he will undoubtedly be noticed by some clubs, but you can't train height. The AI can't notice the difference, however. They can't see the absurdity of it all. How could such a tiny centre half even make it this far? Skill and tenacity is one thing but if most players tower over you in the penalty area at a corner, you're in trouble. Especially as a centre half.

I know I should stick to the topic (that I created, mind) but this save game is quite fascinating. For example a search of

Defender (Centre) - Is

Defender (Right) - Is Not

Defensive Midfielder - Is Not

Height - Is At Most 174 cm

produces 74 players

AB-forever

To judge staff correctly I would have to play a long-term game on the latest patch. Can't really do that yet. That's why I sought confirmation from SI or someone else regarding any changes being made to staff and their attributes.

luiskumar.png

I know it's not particularly relevant but I was more than a little surprised seeing this.

:confused:

This is one of the reasons I don't believe in pre-set positions for young players. A 5 foot 7 centre half might be better suited as either a full back or DMC maybe. I know that, but what about the AI teams? I doubt they would adapt like that. If good old Luis Kumar here has a PA of 185 (hypothetically) he will undoubtedly be noticed by some clubs, but you can't train height. The AI can't notice the difference, however. They can't see the absurdity of it all. How could such a tiny centre half even make it this far? Skill and tenacity is one thing but if most players tower over you in the penalty area at a corner, you're in trouble. Especially as a centre half.

I know I should stick to the topic (that I created, mind) but this save game is quite fascinating. For example a search of

Defender (Centre) - Is

Defender (Right) - Is Not

Defensive Midfielder - Is Not

Height - Is At Most 174 cm

produces 74 players

AB-forever

To judge staff correctly I would have to play a long-term game on the latest patch. Can't really do that yet. That's why I sought confirmation from SI or someone else regarding any changes being made to staff and their attributes.

Well, he does have a Jumping rating of 11 which indicates that he has an extremely good leap, but yeah he shouldn't be a DC.

About the staff bit: All right, missed that bit, but why don't you just open a thread and ask instead of getting everybody alarmed and then saying that the problem might not exist any more.

About the staff bit: All right, missed that bit, but why don't you just open a thread and ask instead of getting everybody alarmed and then saying that the problem might not exist any more.

To be fair it's not really alarming. It's annoying perhaps but hardly alarming. The poor mental stats of newgen staff is inconvenient and should be addressed, but it doesn't prohibit any progression in the game.

The images was what prompted me to create the thread, and if the supposed issue was debunked I could easily delete them and be on my way. But bringing a little "evidence" makes it all easier, in my opinion, because it gives SI (if they haven't addressed the issue yet) a better idea of where I'm coming from.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived