Has the match engine improved with 10.2?

Coop

I just had a player run back into the penalty box to get the ball. When he got it he stood stock still (while under no pressure) for a couple of seconds and simply waited for the opposition to take the ball, he's still being a statue here, and put it into the net. I never had anything that blatant with 10.1.

check your players stats for anticipation etc. If its an issue upload the match pkm and log the save file on the bugs forum, it will help improve the me further

Just checked. He does have low anticipation. I won't be playing him again anytime soon. He's going to my feeder club in a minute.

I'm struggling to find many or any things fundamentally wrong with the Match Engine this year, in fairness. I could have a go and say "there are too many throughballs" but even that seems to have cleared up a bit since the last update.

It's looking pretty polished but there's always room for improvement on animations etc.

Guest El Payaso
The engine has improved a lot IMO.
Tell me how?

I haven't seen major changes. Still keep creating chances even with players that have bad "off the ball" and "anticapating" abilities. The only thing I've seen is that goalies are now better and passes and crosses aren't so pinpointed (too accurate compared to real life though). Defenders still don't convince me. Luckily it's my team who has the possession and all the scoring chances.

The reason why my team doesn't score so much is that the long shots don't hit the goal as accurate and the finishing skills have dropped. It still doesn't mean that the opposition can defend...

Defending has improved, but there are still problems. Defenders tackle now; however, earlier today I had my full-back tackle a player who was clean through only to then pass into the empty net himself with the keeper stranded.

Defenders also seem better at dealing with through balls; but they still decide to turn round and whack it out for a corner despite having no forwards anywhere nearby.

Defending has improved, but there are still problems. Defenders tackle now; however, earlier today I had my full-back tackle a player who was clean through only to then pass into the empty net himself with the keeper stranded.

That happens IRL , there are usually 10 DVD's released every Christmas some of which will feature own goals like you describe. Not every defensive error is a bug, remember the goal in the Birmingham/Villa game a few years ago. A throw back to the keeper and Enckleman let it go under his foot ? If a goal like that is scored in FM the place would erupt with bug reports. But stupid mistakes happen!

So we have to be careful that we dont start demanding "perfect" defending in the FM match engine

That happens IRL , there are usually 10 DVD's released every Christmas some of which will feature own goals like you describe. Not every defensive error is a bug, remember the goal in the Birmingham/Villa game a few years ago. A throw back to the keeper and Enckleman let it go under his foot ? If a goal like that is scored in FM the place would erupt with bug reports. But stupid mistakes happen!

So we have to be careful that we dont start demanding "perfect" defending in the FM match engine

Maybe... but that was an example designed to show that there are still a lot of silly mistakes being made, not just an isolated incident.

Guest El Payaso
Don't score as near as many goals anymore, when I dominate matches I'm winning by a goal or two instead of 4 or 5. More realistic I suppose but a lot more nerve wracking!
How is it more realistic? It isn't realism that world class strikers can't score even if they had empty net in front of them. I keep winning games but it takes almost 10 shots towards goal for my team to score one goal. Because of the pathetic defending I get at least 30 shots every game and that keeps me winning games... It still isn't right.

What is hard with this new patch is that opposition needs only 3 shots to score goals and my team with better players need 10. Challenge, maybe. Realism, never.

I think that the match engine has changed but I don't know if it has improved...

i think the match engine is spot. Any step in any other direction would unbalance it. The shot to goal ratio is pretty realistic tbh. i had few games where it would take a lot 2 score and also few games where i would score at will. Its exactly the same for the AI team aswell as me. pretty damn realistic.

Guest El Payaso
i think the match engine is spot. Any step in any other direction would unbalance it. The shot to goal ratio is pretty realistic tbh. i had few games where it would take a lot 2 score and also few games where i would score at will. Its exactly the same for the AI team aswell as me. pretty damn realistic.
The match engine doesn't look realistic, the amount of goals scored is realistic. It still doesn't close down the fact that the match engine is looking silly.

The thing that would make it more realistic would be simple; less goal scoring chances and better finishing, just like it is in real life. In FM you can just pass the ball around the pitch without real pressure from opposition. Also players with bad passing and crossing ability seem to be able to make great passes and great crosses. Players with bad off the ball ability can find free spaces all the time... Just un-realistic.

I've never seen a centre back playing with 7,6 aVr for whole season without scoring loads of goals, that's just pity, because in FM 07 defenders usually had the best aVr ratings in the whole league as it should be. Also based on the stats they made maybe 1 mistake in 4 games, in FM10 Jagielka just made 7 mistakes in one game...

I was VERY disappointed with the ME pre-patch. I can't say anything certain from only playing one match, but it felt a lot better. Defenders were acting like defenders, midfielders trying lots of through balls etc. You will need to adjust your old tactics a bit, but as others mentioned, the players actually seem to do what they are told. I hope the ME continues to shine, so I can start playing FM2010 again :)

The thing about defensive mistake I found was that EPL defenders make HEAPS more mistakes than other leagues.

I don't know the reasons, maybe because the game pace is fast, maybe the weather is bad.. who knows.

But yeah, compare the defenders in english league and spanish league. you will probably find a difference. At least in fm09 it was like that.

Guest El Payaso
The thing about defensive mistake I found was that EPL defenders make HEAPS more mistakes than other leagues.

I don't know the reasons, maybe because the game pace is fast, maybe the weather is bad.. who knows.

But yeah, compare the defenders in english league and spanish league. you will probably find a difference. At least in fm09 it was like that.

This makes it even more unrealistic. IRL defenders in Spain are playing rubbish because of style of the play; they play attacking and attractive football. In England the game has fast tempo and lots of physical play. That's why players like Riquelme and Aimar would never succeed in Premiership IRL, in FM they do. Why? Because of the lack of physical play. Lack of physical play, lack of midfield battles and many defending mistakes result into goal scoring chances... And that's why finishing is toned really down.

Question for SI; do you even try to make the match engine look like football game? Or are just making it look like this to get more buyers for the game?

I'm a real football fan and I love English football. Have seen nothing that reminds me of English football in this year's match engine.

Guest El Payaso
You ever not considered your lack of goals and ur number of shots you are missing is 2 do with ur tactics or training? Im racking them in against the smaller teams and you exspect that really but against the bigger teams. i get less chances and less goals.
What? I didn't complain about lack of goals. It's only good that I don't score 3-4 goals per game. But the fact that isn't okay is that my low amount of goals has nothing to do with opposition defending well.

I've got around 10 hours playing time on the new patch and not had anything this blatant. If you have a PKM I suggest you upload it in the bugs forum. Hopefully it's a bit of a freak incident, but I'm sure they'd still like to see the incident.

Sounds to me like some attribute or another (like decision making) got ramped up beyond reasonable. Either that or it's a graphics problem, the thing going on "under the hood" not being represented properly by the match graphics.

Worst single incident I've had is a clearance hitting a defender's head and dropping into a striker's path. Very rare, but still.

I've played two games. In the first, away to Wolves in the FA Cup, it felt far more realistic than 10.1. Just the way players moved, fluidity, style etc. Okay, so I start noting a couple of 1 on 1 situations that do not go the way of the forward and having read some peoples complains, I obviously started to nervously chew the ends of my fingers off.

I won the game 3-1 (1 up, 1-1, then pulled away to win comfortably).

Second game, at home to second from bottom QPR in the league. Thrashed them 6-0.

Cant tell much from two games. But so far so good.

Archived