Should I stay or should i go now

Managing Torquay - the club I support. Promoted to League 1 in first season, narrowly avoided relegation last season and am currently 1 point above relegation 14 games into my 3rd season.

Board have refused me a parent club on numerous occasions, my wage budget is ridiculous at 27k. Have a decent squad with a few stand out players, but struggling in the league, losing loads of games by the odd goal.

Blackpool have offered me position as manager - on less money than i am on now - they are also 1 place above relegation in league 1 but with a much worse goal difference.

They're offering me 57k wage budget :) and 1.5 million to spend :)

However, their squad is pretty useless right now, lots of old players, ben burgess, marlon harewood, etc. paul rachupka is out for 5 weeks and they have no reserve keeper. both star players are set to leave the club in January.

What would you do?

Ultimately, i think my love for torquay is too stong, however having a 57k wage budget and money to spend and being able to attract better players is rather tempting....

I'd have to agree with staying loyal. Got offered Bolton job in the Prem just before December. I'm with Bradford in the championship fighting for a playoff place. Bolton offered me 3mil transfer kitty and 250k wage budget. They have some fairly decent players and were in 7th place. Decided to save the game and take the fast track into the Prem. Got to the club and decided to do a bit of spring cleaning and find what areas we were weak in. I then found out they were a good 60k over the wage budget meaning it was impossible to find decent players to fill the vacant positions. They only had one left back who was 34, injured and played guff so far that season.

I'm all for a challenge, but re-loading my Bradford team battling away in the Championship was far more enjoyable for me then trying to sort out Bolton.

I take the view that the grass is never greener on the other side. In earlier games I'd accept job offers, sometimes when doing well at my old club, in favour of a bigger one. Even when it doesn't turn all that bad you're giving up a club where you're doing very well for one of uncertain success so I wouldn't ever switch now even if it was a Norewegian 2nd division club for whom consistent 4th placed finishes was fantastic to a wealthy top club in a middling country (which I did in 05 and regretted by the way) or even a top european league. And certainly not in the situation you have.

Archived