The FM05, 06, 07, 08 and 09 Appreciation/General Discussion Thread

***This is not an FM10 rant thread***

There are a few of us, people who still play and enjoy the older games. :D I'm currently enjoying a save with each game, uninstalled FM10 a few days ago and have no intention of reinstalling it.

New version hysteria means it's almost impossible to have a thread in GD/GQ with a question/query/chat about an older game and even if it does get a couple of comments it slips down the page quite quickly. This thread can be for users still using older versions and hopefully if we keep it to one thread, we can have a chat about the games and if anyone has a query, we can help them out, rather than see them get lost in the myriad of "when's the patch out" threads!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm have three long term save games in FM07. Personally the best in the series and yes i think it is better then FM10.

These games where about simplicity, addictness and fun, something that was way overlooked since FM08.

I also have question. I starting new career with a friend of mine in FM07 he is managing Man. United and I Chelsea and I would like how to control in international team (specifically England and Portugal)?

My laptop had to go back to the workshops over the last couple of weeks, forcing me to start an FM7.2 game on an old machine.

Fantastic stuff! Still playing my Bognor save now, in tandem with my FM10.1 Great Yarmouth game (Superbladesman's edit).

Occasionally mammoth annoyances, particually with over-effective teamtalks and infuriating goalkeeper distribution, but overall a great experience.

If I had to live on a Robinson Crusoe style island and take one game with me, I might just choose 7 over 10.

FM8 I found completely unplayable. Snapped my way through three discs and totalled one set of bookshelves, one keyboard and two mice. I'd never go near it again.

I liked FM9, but the way the players used to stop and stare for no apparent reason allowing the opposition to nick the ball drove me insane. Also, the human player's goalkeeper distribution was still dodgy, something that had me raving about AI cheating for years.

FM10 at last seems to have sorted keeper distribution and superhuman AI defender clearances. Haven't tried the second patch yet.

Like the op, I'd recommend FM7.

FM5 was good but still slow in the style of CM3/4. You'll watch a greyed out screen for hours. FM6 was good, but FM7 was simillar and better. Possibly the best yet. Don't touch FM8 with somebody else's bargepole. Rubbish out of the box, unplayable after the first patch, unplayable after the second. Riven with what amounts to AI cheating.

I found FM07 the best of the lot. Great balance of fun and challenge, over both short and long term.

FM08 was awful for me - regens all being low quality and the way form would die mid-season really killed the fun for me.

Am currently enjoying FM09. I love the 3d. Still, FM07 was probably more fun, but there comes a time when the data gets so out of date you have to go with the newer.

Wont buy FM10 because match engine was jerky on the demo and there was no updates on whether this has been addressed.

It's funny how people slag off FM08 whereas it was the most enjoyable FM I've ever played on (20 seasons with AFC Wimbledon, 8 with Fiorentina, 2 with Holland and 2 with Liverpool) :)

The crap regens make it all the more refreshing when you find or develop a gem of your own too. I have the 3 best centre-backs in the world in my game and I nabbed two as youngsters. :D

FM05 and 06 were both the best versions for me. 06 probably just nudges it. Like others have said it was simple, but the ME was very underrated. I found myself playing some beautiful stuff on both.

Not sure I agree with that, I tried to play 06 a while ago and it wa sincredibly difficult to get any sort of flow going.

I'm still playing 09,got a great save going with Inter that I cant stop playing,getting FM2010 for Christmas. I tend to do the same every time a new game comes out, wait till the end of January before I start playing the new game. For me 07 was the best version, loved that version.

didn't like fm05 at all and never really played it, played fm06 a bit but not like i had in the old days.

fm07 was a different story and i had an epic save where i left birmingham and managed to take nearly my entire team with me to man utd where i went on to dominate thanks to one man... carlos javier acuna.

fm08 was a good game but to be honest i don't remember any particular save apart from one i had with friends where i took worksop up to the premier league.

fm09 was the best version of the game yet, and i'd always been one who felt it had dipped since cm01/02, my best save was a game with sociedad where i managed them for sixty years dominating domestically and in europe to make sure they had more titles than anyone else in every competition they could enter. i had many other saves that i spent a lot of time with and managed in for over 30 years but i'd never match the sociedad save!

fm10, though, i think is even better.

Don't remember FM05 and 06 that well, although I did buy and play them both.

I've very fond memories of FM07 indeed but my favourite of the FM series is FM08 (possibly to be replaced by FM10!)

FM09 was the only one that I didn't really get into.

Anyway, good idea for a thread Elrithral. I had an FM08 save on the go up until very recently and so I appreciate the fact that it is nice to have a thread devoted to the older games for those who still play them. :thup:

Regards,

C.

We all know that I stole the idea from you Crouchy! :D

08 is my favourite as well, though going back to it now, it seems very easy compared to 09. The number of long range shots scored, the number of free kicks scored, the corner exploit etc. I still love it though and will continue to play it for the forseeable future.

I've only really got into 09 recently, going back to 08 and the amount of obvious errors, that I somehow missed, has helped me appreciate 09 as a tougher and more enduring game. The only problem is processing speed, which is my major issue with FM10. I won't be buying a new pc any time soon and at times it seemed to struggle with 09, 10 eats processing like no tomorrow and because of this 08 will always be my first port of call for most saves.

However, I have downloaded an 09/10 database for 07, so 07 could soon replace 08 as it's even faster :)

I can feel my 08 save grinding to a halt, which is particularly disappointing because it's an FMS save :( Unfortunately I forgot to untick "retain players" and loaded roughly 20 leagues, albeit smaller leagues, but the amount of data being processed/stored means the save is roughly 80mb after only 3 seasons!

I tried to play last night and it was very, very slow, does anyone know if save size affects processing speed? More importantly, how big before it starts to become impossible to play, using a Vaio VGC-V2M?

I can feel my 08 save grinding to a halt, which is particularly disappointing because it's an FMS save :( Unfortunately I forgot to untick "retain players" and loaded roughly 20 leagues, albeit smaller leagues, but the amount of data being processed/stored means the save is roughly 80mb after only 3 seasons!

I tried to play last night and it was very, very slow, does anyone know if save size affects processing speed?

Pretty sure save size does have an effect, which would make sense if you think about it (i.e. more data to process and store).

More importantly, how big before it starts to become impossible to play, using a Vaio VGC-V2M?

In my tests, I've found that saves always tend to slow down around 30% over 30 years, with the biggest slowdown usually occurring in the first decade.

If you are finding it unbearably slow now, you'll really be struggling in 5-10 seasons time.

I'm afraid it sounds like you are due a restart. :(

Oh, and 5,000 posts. \o/

C.

I'm afraid it sounds like you are due a restart. :(

No big deal, I can restart and holiday through, then automatically join Eintracht, i've already written the Shaktar section so it won't mess up the story :thup:

I never realised how good 07 is! Going back to it having played 08,09 and 10, it's even more awesome than I remember! Loaded up a new save and haven't looked back, got into it almost instantly and the speed...oh the speed :drool:

And there's me thinking Indi75 couldn't get more boring, I especially liked his lie about the big uninstalled bit :D, another one bites the ignore user dust.

Try to keep it on topic please, there's an FM10 appreciation thread for those who want to talk about it and this is just a light hearted chat about older games and hopefully a thread to help those who have issues with older games that wouldn't usually get answered.

Just had my first GK injury in years, Buffon carried off on 35 mins with a torn groin :( Also, have to say that 07's mom selection is fantastic, scoring does not guarantee an mom and i've just had Zanetti pick up the award even though Del Piero scored two and set up a third.

One question, does anyone know why club logos downloaded work, but kits don't? :confused:

Currently limited to 07 due to ram restrictions, which is fine because 07 rocks, but I still miss 08 and in particular 09. That surprises me because I really hated 09 to start with and now I love it :rolleyes:

HEY, I sent you a PM a while ago, reply :mad::D :D

Installing FM07 right now after I haven't played it for over 2 years. I can't get into FM10 in the actual state and I'm bored with FM08 and FM09 so I decided to go back to FM07. Downloading right now a 2GB graphic megapack for it. Can't wait to play it again :D

I'm still hoping though that the 10.3 patch will bring me back to play FM10.

I've only really got into 09 recently, going back to 08 and the amount of obvious errors, that I somehow missed, has helped me appreciate 09 as a tougher and more enduring game. The only problem is processing speed, which is my major issue with FM10. I won't be buying a new pc any time soon and at times it seemed to struggle with 09, 10 eats processing like no tomorrow and because of this 08 will always be my first port of call for most saves.

However, I have downloaded an 09/10 database for 07, so 07 could soon replace 08 as it's even faster :)

strange, fm10 should be a lot quicker than 09. perhaps it's not as fast as 08, but from memory it isn't too far off. fm09 was horrible to get used to how slow it was compared to how nippy 08 was for me

strange, fm10 should be a lot quicker than 09. perhaps it's not as fast as 08, but from memory it isn't too far off. fm09 was horrible to get used to how slow it was compared to how nippy 08 was for me

I've discovered that I was running with a meagre 512mb ram, ordered an extra gb and hope that this makes a difference. :)

I think that every release of Football Manager was great after the lastest patch. I have still installed FM 07, 08 and 09 too and have no intention to uninstall them although I don´t play them anymore. I don´t know why but I think that FM 07 was more difficult than any other release. I play usually in MLS or in Mexico, because I consider these leagues as ones of the most difficult (the teams are even in terms of quality, nearly everybody can win the league) and in FM 07 I found these leagues incredible hard. Maybe it´s just me. Anyway I have great memories on some of my other savegames on FM 07.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm considering some 07 playing time in the next few days. It would be nice to have real fun again.

Don't get me wrong, 2010 is fun, but it isn't as fun as 07. There isn't as much immersion, and the ME isn't as good. Those two go hand in hand, and are the two most important things for me.

It's an improvement on 08 and 09, but FM2010 still can't touch the real thing :cool:

I think the best for me was 06. After that it started to get more fiddly with each release. Playing 10 at the minute and although it's good, I'm still not enjoying it as much as I did with 06. Never really gave 07 a go although it does seem the most popular.

Archived