Did FIFA just try to rob me of my World Cup? :D

blab

It all started in October 2011 when Croatian manager Bilic failed to qualify for the 2012 Euro so I, Hubert Gruber, manager of Bayern Munich decided to apply for the job because the team had excellent attack force, but poor to average defensive players and so I figured that getting Croatia to qualify and participate in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil would be a challenge.

I was handed a relatively straightforward qualifying group where Slovakia and Poland were the other two strong teams. I finished top of the group with 8 wins and 2 draws with Slovakia. In the World Cup I was drawn in group C as second seeded team with Argentina as the first seed and also with Mexico and Syria. I wasn't to happy about the draw because Mexico was very tough and I would probably lose against Argentina. The good thing was that my group would play against teams from the D group in the second round, and the teams were Cameroon, Iran, Turkey and Greece and I figured that I could beat all of them.

And so the World Cup started; first match was against Argentina which I lost 3-1. I started with a 4-4-2 with two DM, kept a clean sheet for about 35 minutes and then Argentina scored two. Never mind, I still had a chance to go through. Next game was against Syria where I won 4-0. Surprisingly, Mexico and Argentina played 2-2 so Argentina and Mexico had 4 points and I 3, so I had to beat Mexico to go through to the second round. I started with a patient regular 4-4-2 and was 2-0 up with goals in 72nd and 80th minutes. Mexico managed to pull one back in 88th but that wasn't enough so I finished second in the group.

I expected to play Turkey or Greece in the 2nd round but surprisingly, Cameroon finished first with 5 points, and Iran second with 4. It was a relatively easy game in which I hard tackled their fast players and Eto'o so I won 1-0 with a 67th minute goal from Modric.

In the quarter finals I was drawn against Portugal. Portugal defeated the defending champions Spain in the 2nd round with a penalty goal by Ronaldo. Here I was sure that I would lose because I didn't have a quality left back and good natural center backs to counter the threats of Ronaldo and Nani. I gave it a go anyway and told my players to hard tackle Ronaldo and Nani who played as swapping AM/R and L and to close down Veloso (DM). I was 2-0 up by the 16th minute with two goals from Badelj who surged in from the right wing. Ronaldo didn't make a single shot at the goal. The bad news was that my captain Srna got injured and wouldn't see action for the next 3 weeks.

I awaited the Ukraine-France match to see who will be my semi final opponent. I figured it would be France because Benzema was in awesome form. To my delight it turned out that I was wrong; Ukraine won 3-0 with only 6 shots overall and only 41% possession. Could I repeat the success of the '98 generation or could I go even further? It turned out that I could!

In the semi-final match I moved Corluka from DC to DR and played with an inexperienced pair of DC's, Kulusic and Kovacevic. I was afraid that they wouldn't be able to control Milevskyi (who turned out to be the World Cup best player and golden boot) and powerful forward Seleznyov. I had an early lead from the 13th minute from a goal by Barisic, a regen 22 year old striker. Things were going good right up until the 88th minute when my DC failed to mark Milevskyi properly and he tied the score. But in the very next attack, Eduardo has a great chance which is deflected by the goalkeeper and the ball lands on Barisic's feet and he puts it in for 2-1 in the 90th minute.

The other semi-final was Italy vs. Argentina. Argentina won 2-1 with two penalty goals from Insua.

The final match day arrived. My captain Srna was unavailable due to injury so I was forced to play with Kulusic and Kovacevic who prior to the final match had 6 and 4 caps, respectively. There was one more decision to be made, and it was should I start with Eduardo who is a world-class finisher, although not completely fit, or Mandzukic who was fully fit. I decided to go with Mandzukic so that Eduardo could serve as an instant impact substitution.

The "good" news was that Tevez, Messi and Maxi Rodriguez weren't fit for the final. Argentina played a 4-3-3 with Aguero in front, Higuain on the AM/L and Zarate on the AM/R.

Kick off. Croatia gets the action underway. There are a couple of passes, the ball finds it's way to Corluka who launches a sharp low cross to the far post. The ball misses everybody as the Argentinian defense assumes that it will go out - but Barisic manages to get to it and launches a backpass for Modric who has no problem scoring from twelve yards! It's Croatia 1, Argentina 0 in the 1st minute.

It's the 20th minute. Badelj has no problem running down the right side; he cuts in, finds Mandzukic who scores for 2-0.

30th minute; Kranjcar and Pranjic pass the ball around on the left side of the pitch. Pranjic puts a cross in and Mandzukic wins a header against Insua to make it 3-0! 39th minute; Corluka passes the ball to Badelj on the right side; again no challenge as he cuts in and passes to Mandzukic who scores his hattrick! It's Croatia 4, Argentina 0!

44th minute; Higuain and Aguero outplay my DC's in a quick counter attack. Aguero is too fast, shoots from the edge of the penalty area and makes it 4-1. Goal is counted as own goal by the keeper.

Half time. I told my players that I am pleased and told Mandzukic that I'm delighted. I thought about setting delighted for all players but it backfired against me on several occasions so I decided against it.

63rd minute; Badelj again surges down the right side, cuts in on the byline, finds Modric who's shot is deflected but Barisic manages to get a hold of it and puts it in for 5-1!

70th minute; inexperience takes it's toll. Higuain and Aguero again outplay my DC's. Higuain plays a through ball to Aguero who is probably centimeters away from an offside position. Aguero shoots but the keeper saves it. Nevertheless, Higuain scores on the deflection due to bad and slow reaction from my DC's. Current result, 5-2. The team plays well, just a minor setback.

71st minute; FIFA strikes back :D Higuain plays a through ball to Aguero who is clearly in an offside position!!! Offside visible from an airplane:

23kvgq0.jpg

Aguero scores and makes it 5-3. It seemed that Argentinians were on a high and my players lost confidence! Still, I remain stubborn and continue without any substitutions. All is quiet right up until the 82nd minute and another FIFA intervention. Di Maria takes the corner. There is a crowd of 6 players in the box, 3 Croats and 3 Argentinians. Cambiasso goes down! Penalty for Argentina. Di Maria steps up but Delac saves! Aguero on the rebound! Delac saves!

I turn to a more defensive tactic in the 83rd minute. It's the 84th minute and Insua crosses from the left side. The ball reaches Modric but Higuain outmuscled him to make it 5-4! Was this a foul on Modric and another FIFA aid?

It's the 87th minute. I turn to an ultra defensive 4-5-1. There's a 3 minute add on. We are already in the 94th minute and Argentina take a corner. Di Maria crosses, Kulusic intercepts but only as far to Mascherano who can't control it well and Kulusic makes another interception and it's full time!! Final score, Croatia 5, Argentina 4!

This was probably the awesomest match I ever played on FM!

Well played. Who was the referee, send him some hate mail and force him to retire. It's the English way
The referee was Eddie Robinson from England. On his latest fixtures list there is no record of the match. Odd. Although on the World Cup referee stats section he has 9.86 from two games.

Oh the irony.

Archived