Premier League rule 20, section E.

Kaj

says teams must field a full-strength side in all top-flight matches.

Wolves broke this rule in their 3-0 defeat to Man Utd when they rested all their out-field players that were in the team that beat Spurs 1-0. Now the FA is thinking about taking action.

The thing is, I break this rule all the time at the end of a season, especialy if I'm involved in europe and we've already secured the league. But I never get punished, Why?

I do this as well. Especially when there's a bigger game coming up. I don't think the EPL can dictate what constitutes a full-strength side anyway. They're all professional players, so what's the definition? How do you assess a "weaker" side except in the most abstract terms? Real life doesn't have numerical attributes, and even the most rubbish player can have a good game - I think Titus Bramble did pretty well once.

I think this rule means 11 players who are physically fit. Otherwise the top sides would be unable to rest any players ever.

Unless it means "you must field the team you feel has the best chance of winning", but there are tons of ways to interpret this. Basically, it's a non-rule.

I'm sure this was prompted by the recent Wolves match, but in that example the manager felt his "best" eleven were exhausted and better served the club by resting them to get them fit for the match against Burnley.

And Ferguson frequently rested Ronaldo despite being arguably the league's best player, especially when he felt there was a more important match approaching.

As others have said, I think that with the current squad system in the Premier League this rule is unenforcable anyway. If a team fields a team of fit players who have been registered as part of their squad in line with Premier League requirements I can't see how they can have been judged to not have fielded a "full strength" team.

It's no different to one of the top clubs rotating their team and resting players in mid week games, something they do all the time. It just gets noticed more when wolves do it because they don't have a squad of 20+ internationals.

Presumably the rule means that a club in the middle of a terrible injury crisis has to name at least 11 players for a match (I know some clubs IRL name less than the full complement of substitutes sometimes), even if one of the 11 is a 16yo from the academy who has never played before.

Why are Wolves being told to explain themselves but big clubs like Arsenal and Man U don't get asked when they rest their first teamers?

The press desperate to fill column inches and air time I suppose.

Man U played an understrength side against Burnley and lost. Not 10 changes, admittedly, but it's essentially the same principle but with different numbers.

Thing is, just because we beat Spurs that doesn't mean that is our strongest XI.

5 of those that played yesterday are regulars, 1 has been out all season and is arguably our best player which he showed yesterday.

Take into account that Craddock is 34 and can hardly last 2 games a week let alone 3. Ward has been out for 3 months and came back in against Lennon.

Milijas came off with a slight niggle on Sat, he wasn't risked. Edwards was injured. That's 4 immediate changes.

Zubar had been a permanent fixture at RB most of the season til he got injured. Many Wolves fans would be happy with 6 of that XI playing on a regular basis.

I think the purpose of the rule is to protect the fans who pay money to see the best. The problem is it's impossible to enforce. And if you do, then you seriously hamper youth development. Because no young players are going to get match experiance at there clubs if you have to play your best team every week.

i was there last night and was pleased with what mick did i think it was a bit of tactical genius, to be honest whichever team we played last night we most probably would have expected to lose - after beating spurs we took 3 points knowing we have burnley at home after united which is why i reckon he chose the side he did because he knows we have burnley in which is probably our biggest game of the season, it wasnt excatly a weak weak weak team it was just 10 changes but mancienne and zubar are just coming back into the team again, halford he has played most of the season same with elokobi. most of the players from saturday had strains and aches from the spurs game so they needed a rest. tbh burnley at home far more important than united away in a wolves fans eyes, alright he could of told us so we didnt have to waste 42 pound a ticket but i was actually impressed with what we did. surman was good to have back in the team and mancienne had the best game ive seen him have he kept berbatov and rooney relativley quiet.

anyway so i think they fa should shut up tbh arsenal choose to play there 15year olds in games but nobodys arsed because its arsenal and wenger wants to do that tactically so i think mick has done a great thing last night

the end

barns

says teams must field a full-strength side in all top-flight matches.

Wolves broke this rule in their 3-0 defeat to Man Utd when they rested all their out-field players that were in the team that beat Spurs 1-0. Now the FA is thinking about taking action.

The thing is, I break this rule all the time at the end of a season, especialy if I'm involved in europe and we've already secured the league. But I never get punished, Why?

It would be very difficult for the game to try and decide what your best first 11 is, thus making it impossible to implement as a case for investigation/discipline.

anyway so i think they fa should shut up tbh arsenal choose to play there 15year olds in games but nobodys arsed because its arsenal and wenger wants to do that tactically

Different story in the Carling Cup, there isn't a rule that teams have to play their best team in that afaik

Arsenal and Chelsea have every right to be ****ed off at McCarthy but still both Chelsea and Arsenal will easily be able to beat wolves even if they do play their first team

Please tell me your not trying to turn this into a "Help Man Utd Win" consipracy theory.

Every team has a right to be ****ed off at wolves, But then again none of them do as they have all done the same at one point or another.

Was Sir Alex playing his first string against Hull in the last round last season? What is a full strength team? isn't it up to every manager to evaluate which eleven squad members are the most capable for a certain match? Should a team that plays 60 games each season play the eleven players FA consider the best ones in every 38 league game? This rule, if it exists, is a complete joke. Laughable as Mark Hughes would say. BTW get video for referees.

Was Sir Alex playing his first string against Hull in the last round last season? What is a full strength team? isn't it up to every manager to evaluate which eleven squad members are the most capable? This rule, if it exists, is a complete joke.

This rule does exist and it is a joke, hence why it never has, nor ever will be enforced.

It would be very difficult for the game to try and decide what your best first 11 is, thus making it impossible to implement as a case for investigation/discipline.

impossible i imagine as its all a matter of opinion.

after all what i think of as my best midfielder, my ass man thinks is my 4th best :rolleyes:

Archived