Do players ever retire??

I'm in the second year and it seems to me that not a single player in the game world is retiring at the end of the season. I set up a filter to show every player over 40 and none of them has a 'Ret' icon next to his name. How is that possible???

And they don't even lose their skills significantly (except for physical attributes) so it's just way too easy in lower leagues to build a good team only signing players over 35 who are technically brilliant (like Idiákez for Blue Square Premier).

Is my game bugged?? Players not retiring at all??

I bet if you ran the same filter again during April/May, you'd find plenty of retiring players. A lot of them now seem to announce their retirement only as the season is drawing to a close and then disappear at the end of June.

On the other point, I think it's quite realistic that players don't lose much from their attributes as they age. IRL these days, with all the advances in diet and training regimes, etc., this probably reflects the truth. It's also much more likely that they will play on into their late 30s.

The only slightly dodgy point is that it seems to be a little too easy to find top flight players that will sign for low league clubs once their career is drawing to an end. While IRL there are many players that could play on at lower league level, there are very few who can bring themselves to do so for such small wages.

What division are these players over 40 playing at?

Most of them are non-league players. But many of them are free agents. That's very unrealistic, players over 36-38 should retire if they don't get any offers.

I thought they usually announce retirement in the off-season. I really hope some of them will do so in a few months then.

Most of them are non-league players. But many of them are free agents. That's very unrealistic, players over 36-38 should retire if they don't get any offers.

I thought they usually announce retirement in the off-season. I really hope some of them will do so in a few months then.

Yes but irl many of them come out of retirement to play non league football coz they love the game. This would be too hard to implement in the game so its probably better to keep them around.

If they get in the way when searching for players just put a filter on - coz i think it is realistic having them all there because in real life many retired players get approached still.

Archived