Heavy or light training for players with low fitness ?

This may sound like a dumb question but it's something i can't get right . A lot of my players seem to be tiring badly in the second half of games , many with only 70% conditions .

I was wondering if the solution to this is to put training to very heavy or very light , or keep it at medium . As i have tried both now and neither seem to work .

Any help would be appreciated .

From my experience here are the factors that have an impact on condition :

-Weather (heavy rain)

- Pitch condition (icy or wet)

- Fitness at the start of the match (if the player starts “tired” he’ll probably tire faster during the next game)

- Tactic (depending on your tactic, some players may not work as much as expected leaving too much work for some other players. I noticed this as some of my players where having 70% of condition and some other above 80% around the 60th minute)

- Player work rate (some players with low work rate don’t make as much effort as other with better work rate and this forces the others to do the effort for the lazy bastard)

Alter this is the season goes on -whereby conditions change and the schedule of matches mounts up.

For anyone really tiring, I tend to give them a few days off (training) and try and rotate where possible around the Christmas period to avoid burn out. Same goes for injured players - I rest them for a few days before they start training again.

For a league that starts in August I usually put all my outfield players on a pre season training just working on their fitness and aerobic setting both of them to the final heavy mark. I do this for all of July and then after that put them more on positional training with fitness and aerobic set to the last light marker.

I'm still on FM09 and I sorted out that problem by

(a) Strength and Aerobic training settings for your first team players should be the same as the General default schedule Strength and Aerobic settings. And overall settings should not produce more than the maximum Medium work-load. For pre-season training set Strength and Aerobic to high, no problem. But change it once you play your first official match of the season.

(b) Swap the positions of central midfielders, so that one is making forward runs Often and the other is on Mixed or Rarely. That way their effort is distributed. Handy if you play a 433. You can set the two more attacking MC's to swap. Not sure how to do this if you play a 442 and one of your players is defensive only and the other attacking only. You may always have to substitute the attacking MC for a fresh player, at some point in the match, in this instance. Most managers in real life substitute a midfielder as they do most of the running (usually).

© Full-backs and wingers. If they are on forward runs Often, set them to Mixed once you hold a 1 or 2 goal lead.

(d) Overall, watch that your closing down levels aren't too high, either. And if you are playing very attacking, but your defensive line is deep, your players will have to run a lot more to get back into position. So set Mentality, Defensive Line and Closing Down relatively near to each other.

(e) Seek to sign players whose Stamina is equal to, or more than, their Pace and Workrate. Not important for CB's or GK's.

(f) Tone down runs and closing down relative to pitch conditions (rain, water-logged, icy, as mentioned in a previous post).

(g) Try and rotate your squad a little more. At least those players who suffer more from low fitness levels.

Might work just about the same for FM10.

Archived