I don't understand the pricing of players.

I'm currently managing Wolfsburg, and I am going really well 18 games into the season (currently on top by six points). My only issue is with the players value, Edin Dzeko hasn't done much for me this season because he was out with a knee ligament issue, though his value has jumped through the roof. Grafite on the other hand, has played 24 games (including continental and cup matches,) has scored a massive 34 goals combined, has a total average rating of 7.96, yet his value has dropped from $4.1mil to just $3.2mil. I can't seem to understand this, Grafite hasn't had any stat changes, none infact, so I'm at a loss to explain why he has suddenly lost value. :eek:

Thanks in advance.

Gandy.

Has Grafite been selected for his international team often? I've found when I manage interantional teams' date=' the players I play most have their values increased sometimes.[/quote']

Yes, he's played three out of the last four Brazilian games. :)

From what I can tell, a player's value (on the screen) is based mostly on reputation. But also, a striker's peak is considered to be age 27-30, so there's an automatic decline after the age of 30, which probably affects the value.

When buying a player, the asking price from clubs is based on reputation + the value of the player TO THAT CLUB. So if you have bids for both players you should consider how much you need to spend to replace a 34 goals per season striker.

So Dzeko has a much higher rep to start with than Grafite due to his starting rep, his age, and probably his PA. Grifite will have met his PA already and is probably going to start to slide in a couple of years.

BTW, how are you playing Dzeko? I've never bought him but I think he'd be good if you set him as "poacher". I was having a lot of problems with Adebayor but he started pinging them in with that setting.

From what I can tell, a player's value (on the screen) is based mostly on reputation. But also, a striker's peak is considered to be age 27-30, so there's an automatic decline after the age of 30, which probably affects the value.

When buying a player, the asking price from clubs is based on reputation + the value of the player TO THAT CLUB. So if you have bids for both players you should consider how much you need to spend to replace a 34 goals per season striker.

So Dzeko has a much higher rep to start with than Grafite due to his starting rep, his age, and probably his PA. Grifite will have met his PA already and is probably going to start to slide in a couple of years.

BTW, how are you playing Dzeko? I've never bought him but I think he'd be good if you set him as "poacher". I was having a lot of problems with Adebayor but he started pinging them in with that setting.

I've found him to be more an assisting goalscorer. From the 12 starts he's had, he's managed 12 assists and 8 goals. It might just be because I have the right tactic, if you like, I can go into more detail?

He's just turned 31, and I signed him for another five years on a 60k p/w contract.

Bad move there i think. There is no way i would sign a 31 year old player on a 60k a week 5 year deal (just my opinion).

His value probably dropped because of his age.

I would say you want him in the box because of his ariel ability and finishing. He isn't the fastest, so moving into channels and wings probably wont suit him as much. Give him good service and he will bang in the goals, no doubt.

I have a similar query, I'm Notts Co, in my first season and have just claimed the title with 8 games remaining. In the January transfer window I signed Dan Gosling for £4m and Maceo Rigters for £1.3m. In March their values were:

Gosling £4m

Rigters £150k

I can't understand why Rigters value has plummeted by nearly 90% when he's banged in 8 goals in 7 matches, while Gosling has retained all of his value while playing mostly at Right Back. Rigters is only 25 so coming into his peak rather than at the end of it.

He's actually now worth less than De la Pena who I signed who is 33, and doesn't play every game and was only signed for £350k.

Bad move there i think. There is no way i would sign a 31 year old player on a 60k a week 5 year deal (just my opinion).

His value probably dropped because of his age.

It was a good choice I think, he has 3 years left and he's still scoring 30+ goals a season.

It was a good choice I think, he has 3 years left and he's still scoring 30+ goals a season.

You could say that most half decent strikers in fm10 bang in 30+ goals a season. I personally, would have gone for a younger striker banging in 30+ goals a season for the next 8 seasons and then sold him on for 20 or 30 million and bought another young striker ...etc etc, you get the general idea. That's just the way i manage. I'm always looking to make money and keep things ticking over.

You still have 2 years left on that 60k a week contract and you may struggle to sell him, or off-load him, unless of course, the new patch has changed this.

Each to there own though, as i said before, that's just my opinion. Nice that he is still doing the business for you at that age, and hopefully it will continue for a couple more seasons. :thup:

I was messing with a Man City save (gave it up as I don't like City at all) and Adebayor was scoring like nuts when I used him as a target man and had him set as the target men in team tactics. I also used an attacking deep lying forward to pair with him & two attacking MFs that I played as inside forwards with two DMCs.

had him (dzeko) as a lone striker for arsenal, set as a complete forward, used to have my wingers as inside forwards before i signed him but since just set them as wingers, so hes gettin goals from crosses aswell as playing with his back to goal he gets loads from edge of the box from cescs passes, top scorer in europe last 3 seasons for me, tho i could imagine him playing well in most striker roles, just have to see what suits you best :)

You could say that most half decent strikers in fm10 bang in 30+ goals a season. I personally, would have gone for a younger striker banging in 30+ goals a season for the next 8 seasons and then sold him on for 20 or 30 million and bought another young striker ...etc etc, you get the general idea. That's just the way i manage. I'm always looking to make money and keep things ticking over.

You still have 2 years left on that 60k a week contract and you may struggle to sell him, or off-load him, unless of course, the new patch has changed this.

Each to there own though, as i said before, that's just my opinion. Nice that he is still doing the business for you at that age, and hopefully it will continue for a couple more seasons. :thup:

I have a younger striker coming up, though he can't quite compete with Grafite or Dzeko yet. My team is working really well together at the moment, so I don't see the point in buying new players. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I do always look for younger players. I don't know, I've been playing this game wrong for years. :)

I have a younger striker coming up, though he can't quite compete with Grafite or Dzeko yet. My team is working really well together at the moment, so I don't see the point in buying new players. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I do always look for younger players. I don't know, I've been playing this game wrong for years. :)

That must make two of us. On FM08, i had Pavlyuchenko at Rangers (i had tinkered a little with finances as i wanted a long term game in Scotland which i usually tit up without money because of the lack of tv and prize money) and had him on a £30K a week contract playing most games till he was 39. He was European golden boot winner at 38 so he must have done something correct and he was also still banging them in during European competitions although i played a regen in the bigger games as he wasnt pacey enough anymore.

That must make two of us. On FM08, i had Pavlyuchenko at Rangers (i had tinkered a little with finances as i wanted a long term game in Scotland which i usually tit up without money because of the lack of tv and prize money) and had him on a £30K a week contract playing most games till he was 39. He was European golden boot winner at 38 so he must have done something correct and he was also still banging them in during European competitions although i played a regen in the bigger games as he wasnt pacey enough anymore.

Ah, as long as it just isn't me. I know what you mean, I find one player that works for me, and you'll never be able to pry him from my hands. I had the same with Mark Noble and Anton Ferdinand in FM09, played them until 36 each, and they were both still amazing players. I hate selling my players (unless they are useless, in which I just release them) so I don't really see the point in buying, unless it's to replace an injury or ageing player (perhaps 1 or 2 a season). I'm currently liking the German regens, brilliant. :)

its the age.

top teams will not pay tops money for an old player, even if he is scoring every match now.

as far as your contract goes - it was not a smart move.

by the end of his contract your player will be 36 which is too old for a striker; and 60k pw sounds too much to earn after the age of 33/4 - which will see your player's physical attributes severely compromised and the only use you will have for him will be to mentor younger players.

Like you say, 'if it ain't broke'.

If it works for you then stick with it :thup:

Archived