Great Players Not Recognised

Ok this is something that annoys me but at the same time I know it happens in real life so I cant really complain but why is it so hard to get a superstar player that scores over 60 goals a season 3 seasons in a row in the lower leagues to be picked by his country. I created this player in the editor and I have big name teams (chealsea, man utd, ac milan) to name a few who all want this guys signature for a very very very big price (over 20 million) but the national manager doesnt seem to rate him. In his profile it says he has been declared for nation but isnt in their squad and has never played a game. And to top it off he is rated the best player in the nation, very very strange. Is the manager just a tool or are they just biased to players playing in lower leagues?

It doesnt differ from in real life in theory but if say Cristiano Ronaldo was playing for a Coca Cola League 2 team after playing for Man Utd im pretty sure he would still be picked based upon his skills where as In FM it seems no matter how good the player is they wont get picked if they are in a lower league, but surely a player who has maxed out stats and is a scoring machine would at least get a look into the national team.

I don't know to be honest. I think it is coded correctly in FM.

I had a few international players while in the Coca Cola Division (2 Mexicans and 1 Argentinian). I never had a problem with this.

If a player of Ronaldo's calibre suddenly goes down to a lower division, it clearly shows he is either doing it for money or a lack of ambition.

There are quite a few players in Australia who were starters or rotation players in the national team and have gone back to the A-League and suddenly their position in the national team had been questioned.

While they are not on the calibre of "Ronaldo", it clearly shows that sometimes, the actual league a player is in, determines the players quality - which might not be correct, but it cleary shows perception is reality.

Cristiano Ronaldo could have scored 40 goals for Man United or Real Madrid, but when he suddenly goes to a small league a few tiers below top tier football, you would expect a few eyebrows to raise.

Would you expect a player playin in low league football to win FIFA awards? No.

Even if Messi were to score 100 goals in Serie C2, he would not win any awards.

Well you would have to expect that a player might also lose his spot in the national side, because he is not facing top class players day in day out and is quite frankly, dropping out of mainstream public view.

The Italian National team, in all its history (correct me if i am wrong) has only ever once selected a player from a division lower than Serie A to play for the Italian National team.

That was Massimo Maccarone, when he was playing for Empoli and the starlet of the Under 21 team.

In reality, on most part, only elite players playing in the best teams (all relative to the nation he is playing for) get selected for their national teams (more often than not.) A player could be a bench for Juventus and be picked for Italy (ie Camoranesi) yet, if Camoranesi were to suddenly play for Livorno from January, I will bet you that he would more than likely not be picked for his national side again.

Ezequiel I completely agree with what you are saying, I just think that it seems a little bit stupid not to pick players on performance rather than league but I guess thats just how it goes. Maybe I need to become manager of his national squad and get him a start, that could be my only option. And your point about this Australian Squad is 100%, the manager Pim Ver Beek doesnt rate the A-League at all and thats why hardly any A-League players get picked. When Culina went back to Australia from PSV everybody thought he was crazy and it was going to effect his chances of playing internationals but so far it hasnt but I think thats only because of where he has come from. Anyone starting out in the A-League has a very rough chance.

Huum, this extreme example of ronaldo or the 200 CA player shows that national teams are looking a little too much into reputation vs ability IMO. A player of ronaldo caliber should be looked at by smart national team managers even if he is playing for non-league teams. In real life a guy like that would be called and then, if he did well enough on training, he would play, otherwise he would just not be called agian.

I'd akin imy stance on this issue to this:

Landon Donovan is hailed widely by Americans for his "skills." Yet, because he plays in MLS, the rest of the international scene (besides the U.S.) barely bats a (rightful) eye at the guy. And thank god, too, because the guy's shambles. League DOES say a lot about a player.

After all, a player can only be measured by his competition. If he's playing **** teams and performing well, what assurance is there that he'll play well against good teams?

Think about this: who has more stature/respect in the international scene, Landon Donovan or Clint Dempsey? Why? It's because one plays in the Prem and the other plays in MLS.

he plays in the US for money! no other reason. does playing ten games or so for milan make that much difference??

Capello mentioned that the only way he'd get selected was to play in a higher league, and he pointed towards Milan. If you'll remember a few months ago, Beckham made it VERY clear that the reason he was going to Milan was to play at a competitive level for match fitness and interntional selection.

http://www.worldcup2010southafrica.org.uk/2010-world-cup-news/beckham-must-stay-in-milan-to-harbour-england-ambitions/

http://blog.taragana.com/sports/2009/08/10/becks-must-return-to-europe-if-he-wants-to-play-world-cup-capello-18886/

http://itn.co.uk/4352992a5c9e0c03eb1c7f99e78f9727.html

Capello said: "Beckham knows well that if he doesn't return to a big European championship in December he'll have no chance for the World Cup."

Bam.

The point is an MLS player is being picked for the england squad. In my opinion playing 10 games (some of them prob as sub) a season for milan shouldnt make any difference to capello's judgement. if the seasons in america were the same months as ours he would play there up until the world cup and still get picked

The point is an MLS player is being picked for the england squad. In my opinion playing 10 games (some of them prob as sub) a season for milan shouldnt make any difference to capello's judgement. if the seasons in america were the same months as ours he would play there up until the world cup and still get picked

Wow... did you read any of the articles I posted? It's not about the time of year he plays... it's about the level of competition. Are you really so dense as to not realize the vast drop in competive level from Europe to the United States? You'd really akin the EPL, or even the BSP to the MLS?

Capello has already admitted that he has been impressed with Beckham’s performances and this adds to the argument that he must stay in Italy. If Beckham goes back to America, the England manager isn’t going to be convinced about his international ambitions is he? The standard of play is lower in America, the fitness levels required are lower in America and these aspects combined with the constant flying from one side of the county to the other would probably be enough to end Beckham’s 2010 hopes.

LOL I never said there wasnt a vast drop in quality btwn the EPL n MLS. Im saying beckham is a MLS registered player that gets picked for england. He plays the vast majority of his games in america. He would go to the world cup no matter what because he is the FA's golden boy. and he still gets games for england even during the MLS season

LOL I never said there wasnt a vast drop in quality btwn the EPL n MLS. Im saying beckham is a MLS registered player that gets picked for england. He plays the vast majority of his games in america. He would go to the world cup no matter what because he is the FA's golden boy. and he still gets games for england even during the MLS season

I guess we'll see what happens over the next transfer period. I can guarentee if he's not in Italy come January, he wont be in the squad for South Africa.

You also need to remember Beckhams history, his age and the fact that he really is a Football ambassador in USA, flying the English flag and Football in general over there.

He also strives to play football for Milan in order to prove that he can still compete at the highest level. I doubt he would be doing that if not trying to secure a World Cup Squad position.

I'd akin imy stance on this issue to this:

Landon Donovan is hailed widely by Americans for his "skills." Yet' date=' because he plays in MLS, the rest of the international scene (besides the U.S.) barely bats a (rightful) eye at the guy. And thank god, too, because the guy's shambles. League DOES say a lot about a player.

After all, a player can only be measured by his competition. If he's playing **** teams and performing well, what assurance is there that he'll play well against good teams?

Think about this: who has more stature/respect in the international scene, Landon Donovan or Clint Dempsey? Why? It's because one plays in the Prem and the other plays in MLS.[/quote']

Careful, not all of us Yanks have our heads up our asses. I honestly think he's not nearly as good as the American media *cough* CNNSI *cough* makes him out to be.

On topic, I think the league has a lot to do with who gets capped.

I guess we'll see what happens over the next transfer period. I can guarentee if he's not in Italy come January' date=' he wont be in the squad for South Africa.[/quote']

I can guarantee he will be in the England squad regardless of whether he goes to Milan or not because the FA use him as a world icon to promote English football. He is so important to the FA in terms of their profile in South Africa and for our own World Cup bid; he is our prize asset in terms of that bid and they would not want to have him left behind. However, I think he will be at Milan anyway.

Archived