cant win away

:thup: Attack is the best form of defence. Keep a deep defensive line when playing away, though, they can and will, counter you in no time.

I've found the opposite true often actually, ie. at HOME play deep, so you can't be countered, but away press high and prevent the opposition playing their natural game.

:thup:

I tend to have 2 basic tactics, one for home matches and 1 for away games. At home I like to use control, and away I use attacking, like Hershie said it disrupts them opposition. This won't always work, but its seen me do quite well at EPL, ECL and CCL2 levels (and to a lesser extent BSS)

I've found the opposite true often actually, ie. at HOME play deep, so you can't be countered, but away press high and prevent the opposition playing their natural game.

:thup:

Also play deep at home, unless of course, the opposition is weak, and I feel like pumping a few goals in.

So you suggest just changing the defensive line

Anthing Else ?

Less time wasting, more players with attacking duties - and then more adjustments to tactics when ahead to try and preserve the lead, eg. reverting back to a more conservative and controlling setup.

Why would less time wasting Help

Just wondering ?

Your players will be looking more to put the ball forward and make something of possession, opposed to keeping it and playing it around. HOWEVER, time wasting as such could be useful if you wish to play probing possession football, and reducing it may result in naturally more direct play.

Why would less time wasting Help

Just wondering ?

Yes. If you leave this to normal once you get 2 or 3 up, you'll often stop pushing which is why you can get to 4-0 at half time and then finish at 4-0 or even 4-1 or 4-2.

Also, be careful what you do with your team talks esp when away, as I find for the fans isn't effective when playing away games as you have less support at the ground.

And what difference does the defence line make away ?

A deep defensive line will encourage the opposition to attack you, and particularly away (where the home team often looks to control the game) you're playing into your oppositions hands. By playing a higher line you're pressing the opposition more and preventing them playing their natural game, often forcing them into a more direct style.

However, a higher line leaves you open to counter attacks, and makes an offside trap especially risky if you don't have quick defensive players.

First, of all, I always think a draw away is a decent result a lot of the time. If I am managing a side who should be battling at the top of the table, I aim to win my home games and I'm not too disappointed if I draw away. The target is to average 2 points a game. To win a title, I'm generally aiming to win the occasional away game to take the average above 2 points per game (e.g. Man Utd won the league last season with an average of 2.37 points per match in real life).

Secondly, it rather depends on what team you are managing. If you are managing a top side in your division then I generally find the best approach is to play a patient 'control' strategy and I tend to use the 'retain possession' shout, and some of the other ones relating to keeping the ball too. I'm working on the basis that I want to keep the ball, try to keep the clean sheet first and foremost and hopefully my superiority will eventually come through. Whereas at home, I'm more likely to start with 'attack' and really try to get ahead as early as possible.

Of course, if you are a not a top side, then obviously there is no shame in going away and getting a draw. In fact, that can be considered a very good result.

I do find that, when playing away, a side is more likely to come back at you if you go ahead and they feel that they can get back into the game. At these kind of times, when I see the signs that I feel I should change, I tend to go to 'counter' and remove the possession based shouts to try to grab a second on the break. Carefully watch the other team for clues that they are coming on to you more aggressively. Towards the end of the game, if things are still close, I will go to 'defend' or perhaps even 'contain'. I'll also make use of other shouts if necessary to see out the result.

Remember to bring fresh legs on too, especially in central positions, late on in the game if you are tiring. Watch for motivational issues as well and make sure you nip any issues in the bud by hauling the player off if necessary.

Those would be my general tips.

Regards,

C.

Archived