Touchline shouts - Specific effects?

Morning all.

Just a quickie - does anyone know the exact difference that the \'touchline shouts\' make to your team?

For instance - if you ask your team to play with more width via the shout option, how much additional width will be adjusted?

Is there a percentage that it is adjusted? If so, can you then perform the same shout again to adjust the action even further.

I dont currently use the tactics creator as I found I have more control using the sliders for micro management. I would however consider giving it a go again if I was a little more confident with the exact difference the shouts made to my team.

best thing is to mess around and see.

i ALWAYS clear ball to flanks and exploit flanks - as this matches up with my team selection and tactics.

i nearly always chose Get Ball Forward too, but change this to Retain possession if i build up a 2 goal lead.

if i am playing a team i think bullies me a bit, i tell the lads to get stuck in.

if its a league cup game and im 3-0 up i will most likely tell my players to take a breather.

best thing is to mess around and see.

i ALWAYS clear ball to flanks and exploit flanks - as this matches up with my team selection and tactics.

i nearly always chose Get Ball Forward too, but change this to Retain possession if i build up a 2 goal lead.

if i am playing a team i think bullies me a bit, i tell the lads to get stuck in.

if its a league cup game and im 3-0 up i will most likely tell my players to take a breather.

Im all up for \\\'messing around\\\' with it, however I would have thought the developers would have genral rule on how much effect each shout has to the sliders?

That is what I am trying to identify. I know exactly what they mean and when to use them, I want to know the differnce that they generally make.

For instance, If you have a normal width and shout \\\"play wider\\\" how much wider does this actually move on the slider?

Was about to make a thread of my own about these bloody shouts. Why in the love of god should a touchline shout not come into effect for quite literally the WHOLE SECOND HALF. This is not the first time and it absolutely drives me bloody insane. Tactics pointless if you cant even get some instructions out to the players. NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

I am Sheff Utd (Up the Blades),signed Gignac and Vanden Borre for big money adn then signed loads of free transfers adn my squad is getting quiet old on average especially my midfield......

How do I make the best use of the strikers I have without tiring out my midfield too much?

Signed Barton on free and my supporters have gone crazy....not cool

Thanks Geth

I am Sheff Utd (Up the Blades),signed Gignac and Vanden Borre for big money adn then signed loads of free transfers adn my squad is getting quiet old on average especially my midfield......

How do I make the best use of the strikers I have without tiring out my midfield too much?

Thanks Geth

No offence Geth but I am not sure this thread is the best place to post that question.. :confused:

I read on here a post from someone who explained everything exactly what you want, but I can\'t remember who or where. I\'ll try to dig it up after lunch.

I would really appreciate that monkeywool.

I just dont understand how people are confident using the shouts when they dont actually know the difference they are making. \"Playing wider\" could be one of about 15 notches if you have the team set up as \'narrow\'.

:confused:

Thanks Geth

Geth - I have only just noticed you are new so apologies if I sounded a little harsh. Try the tactics sub-forum or perhaps create your own thread in here. :)

Thanks Geth

The tactics and training forum is the place for you my friend, seriously. You guys should check out that place more.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=159310

download the tactic theorums from there, the book has a section on touchline shouts and what each one means, the effect of it and when best to deploy it.

Thanks monkeywool.

I already have that guide. To my knowledge though it only describes what each shout means and when is best to deploy them, but not the actual movement/effect it has on a slider.

When I ask them to \\\'play wider\\\' I want to know exactly how wide they are playing.

Or when I ask them to \\\'play shorter passes\\\' I want to know how short they have moved to.

Again, thanks for the links - however let me show you what I mean. This is taken directly from pg 51 of that guide.

Retain Possession

Effect: Instructs the team to try to hold on to the ball rather than making rushed long passes.

Action: Shortens passing length, slows tempo.

Useful: When struggling to hold on to possession; when having low pass completion percentage; to keep the ball from the opposition when leading to hold on to a lead.

Play Wider

Effect: Instruct the team to play with more width.

Action: Increases width, focus passing down both flanks.

Useful: When the opposition is attacking down the wings; when the opposition is flooding the centre of the field; when needing more space to break down the opposition; when playing on a narrow pitch.

Those are two examples of what I mean - yes, I know playing wider means that they will play wider, and playing shorter passes will result in shorter passes - but by how much??

I guess I will have to go through each time and make a note of where the slider was opposed to where it changed to after the shout. :(

Thanks monkeywool.

I already have that guide. To my knowledge though it only describes what each shout means and when is best to deploy them, but not the actual movement/effect it has on a slider.

When I ask them to \\\'play wider\\\' I want to know exactly how wide they are playing.

Or when I ask them to \\\'play shorter passes\\\' I want to know how short they have moved to.

It does mention that under "action"

Eg: Play wider:

So that sets the slider to high width and changes the passing box to focus passing down both flanks. Exactly how many notches is not said in the guide, true, but you can safely assume that it would be the maximum.

Check your tactics when using a shout to see.

It does mention that under \\\"action\\\"

Eg: Play wider:

So that sets the slider to high width and changes the passing box to focus passing down both flanks. Exactly how many notches is not said in the guide, true, but you can safely assume that it would be the maximum.

Check your tactics when using a shout to see.

Really? You honestly think it would be maximum - surely not??!

If I was playing narrow and asked my boys to play wider, for the love of god I hope it wouldnt go maximum!

I really wouldn't think about it. The whole point of the tactics creator and touchline shouts is that you don't have to think in slider-speak, but in football-speak. If you really want that level of control (where you are worrying about number of individual notches), then you'll have to use the classic tactics.

Really? You honestly think it would be maximum - surely not??!

If I was playing narrow and asked by boys to play wider, for the love of god I hope it wouldnt go maximum!

I dunno mate, I would suggest you ask at the TTF forum if you want know know the exact sliderage, or as I said test them yourself. :)

I really wouldn\'t think about it. The whole point of the tactics creator and touchline shouts is that you don\'t have to think in slider-speak, but in football-speak. If you really want that level of control (where you are worrying about number of individual notches), then you\'ll have to use the classic tactics.

OK, so you are honestly telling me that if you are playing very narrow and you use the shout \'play wider\' and this sets the width to maximum then this wouldnt bother you.

You have to think about these things in FM10 as even minor changes to your tactics will make a massive difference.

I am sure someone somewhere knows the answer :D

Geth - I have only just noticed you are new so apologies if I sounded a little harsh. Try the tactics sub-forum or perhaps create your own thread in here. :)

Dont apologise..to honest I have been looking,first day on here but kind find the appropriate forums,will keep looking

Thanks

OK, so you are honestly telling me that if you are playing very narrow and you use the shout \'play wider\' and this sets the width to maximum then this wouldnt bother you.

You have to think about these things in FM10 as even minor changes to your tactics will make a massive difference.

I am sure someone somewhere knows the answer :D

You've got to assume that the guys that designed the tactics creator aren't idiots. Setting width to maximum would bother me, you and most other people, so it's a fairly safe assumption they haven't done it. Minor changes don't make a massive difference, unless you are doing something completely 'wrong', and with the tactics creator, it's a hell of a lot more difficult to do something fundamentally wrong.

You\'ve got to assume that the guys that designed the tactics creator aren\'t idiots. Setting width to maximum would bother me, you and most other people, so it\'s a fairly safe assumption they haven\'t done it. Minor changes don\'t make a massive difference, unless you are doing something completely \'wrong\', and with the tactics creator, it\'s a hell of a lot more difficult to do something fundamentally wrong.

I agree. I dont think that it would set it to maximum.

It would still be very interesting to know to what length the shouts alter your settings. I cant be the only one wondering this??

I am feeling more and more that I really need to test these myself to see exactly to what extent these changes make to the sliders. The only reason I continue to use the sliders in this discussion is beacuse it is the only measureable difference we can see when altering the settings.

Just checked, by the looks of it, play wider changes the slider just so it turns to wide and not maximum.

Sorry if I said maximum, I honestly didn\'t know and was based on assumption.

No worries - we all have an obligation to assume ;)

As you are on the game atm and I am at work (:( Jealous) could you perhaps try something for me please?

Set your team to play as narrow as possible (1st notch of slider) then apply \'play wider\' via the touchline shouts - what notch has the slider moved to?

If you cant do it now then dont worry and I will have a look tonight if poss.

Doesn't seem to change it when you set your slider manually, but if you have a contain philosophy it moves it up 3 notches.

So it looks like play wider = move slider 3 notches up. However I set it as a control philosophy to start with and manually moved my notches to narrow then changed it and the width was still on 1.

Doesn\\\'t seem to change it when you set your slider manually, but if you have a contain philosophy it moves it up 3 notches.

So it looks like play wider = move slider 3 notches up. However I set it as a control philosophy to start with and manually moved my notches to narrow then changed it and the width was still on 1.

Very interesting monkeywool. This is more like the sort of marginal effect that I assumed it would have.

Even more interesting though that if you edit the width yourself the toucline shout has no effect at all - that just seems plain odd to me :confused:

Thank you so much for having a look mate ;)

It's all relative. Shouts change width and depth settings by a maximum of 25% from current ones. Depending on how wide/narrow the strategy is, a shout might widen it by 25%, 15% or 5%. Very narrow strategies will receive the largest increase, whereas ones that are already wide will receive a marginal one.

It\\\'s all relative. Shouts change width and depth settings by a maximum of 25% from current ones. Depending on how wide/narrow the strategy is, a shout might widen it by 25%, 15% or 5%. Very narrow strategies will receive the largest increase, whereas ones that are already wide will receive a marginal one.

Thanks for clarifying this wwfan.

I have found the same results in my tests at home.

There are two things that still dont sit right with me though.

1. Why dont the touchline shouts have any effect if you have manually altered the width etc. All that happens is the shout will show as \'pending\' and never actually actions.

2. Why cant you have two of the same shout. For instance, if you ask your team to play wider and they are still not wide enough, you are unable to shout play wider again? I believe you should be able to stack the shouts as necessary until reaching maximum.

??

Was about to make a thread of my own about these bloody shouts. Why in the love of god should a touchline shout not come into effect for quite literally the WHOLE SECOND HALF. This is not the first time and it absolutely drives me bloody insane. Tactics pointless if you cant even get some instructions out to the players. NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!

I've been looking through the forums and thought that I was the only one having a problem with serious delays on touchline instructions. They get through eventually, but it takes about 10-15 minutes in the match. I would have thought that it would go through immediately.

Archived