Derby Matches, Title Clashes & Six Pointers

I'm sure this point must have been made before - I'm tantilisingly close to being able to remember such posts, but I thought I'd post this again, in case I've just dreamed it (been a while since I dreamt about this forum). :D

One of the things that has gotten me drawn into FM10, which didn't really happen in FM09, is feeling engrossed in the game. There's feedback from loads of different sources which keep me busy - there's always a bio to read, club information to look at, player interactions, etc, etc.

One thing I think is missing, however, is the atmosphere, the buzz, the anticipation of a big game. Whether I'm managing Man United, Gillingham or Fenerbache there does not seem to be much build up to a big game.

What I'm thinking is that press conferences can start to refer big upcomming matches in post-match interviews after preceeding games. E.g. you've just played in the Champions League with Man United and your next game is against Liverpool - you get asked a couple of questions about the game, then you get questions about the game against Liverpool.

I'd also like to see much more speculation about team selection for big games. So a press conference could ask you whether you're going to persist playing that dodgy foreign signing up front, or will you play the local lad (fan's favourite).

It'd be nice to get the odd news item about what fans are saying re: your chances in the game, how hard it is getting tickets, who they'd like to see playing up front, etc.

If it's a relegation 6 pointer, there'd be a sizeable amount of tension, and fans would be worried about the outcome - that could be reflected in the news items.

As well as input from fans and journalists, some of your players could reflect different moods - e.g. your determined captain could be "well up for the game against Liverpool", whereas if you're losing and confidence is low, your young winger could be "nervous about losing the game against Liverpool" - this should not be dependent upon your press conferences.

Finally, if it's a really, really big game - title decider, relegation decider, cup final, etc, how about a few words from the chairman or other board member? Some will try to fill you with confidence, wish you good luck, and some will be complete bastards and advise you that if you lose you'll get the boot.

Away from interaction, what about the game itself? If you're playing a big rival, does the ME act any differently? Because, depending on the temperment of your players and your team talk, it might be nice to see a few tackles flying in, with an added bit of spice to the occasion.

So, SI, let's make it happen. I want to be fully sucked into the atmosphere surrounding a big game for my club. But remember: variety is the key. Press conferences have enourmous potential, but I don't think they're being realised just yet (although I'm already enjoying them more than in FM09) - but with enough variety, I reckon the above ideas could improve things somewhat.

Anyone else agree/disagree/not care/have some other suggestion along these lines?

All fair enough, not sure how much support there is for interaction that affects your game more than it already does and definitely not sure how much support there is for press cofnerences, with or without additions.

I think, though, that the reason press conferences aren't as popular as they could be is that people find them repetitive. So I'm talking about adding variety into them - surely a good thing?

I think so, yes, but try and mention that to some people and you get told that they will never work and never be enjoyable. I've often raised the point that back in the day 2D was hated, now it's loved, the same will happen with Press Conferences and mainly because of additions, just like your examples, but when I say this I usually get shot down and told to wise up. :rolleyes:

Imo, interaction >>>>>>> everything else. You can keep your 3D and your spending money and your "improved" traning, a few well implemented and interesting interaction features can make the difference between a game and an engrossing that sucks the player in. Far too much effort is spent on glossing over certain areas and not enough time spent improving interaction.

Archived