Defender on a 5 rating at half time...

The best you can probably hope for is a 6. The final score rating is for the full match so if he has been absolutely dreadful in the first half he is going to have to perform miracles to improve his rating for the full match. Similarly he might have a blinder in the 2nd half and deserve an 8, but if he was only 5 in the first half there's no way he'll get an 8.

happens from time to time, a lot of times a defender has a 5 is just from conceding a penalty or a different error that happened to lead to a goal and other than that he's playing well. if that's the case then his rating should go up with a solid second half.

course it could be that he's not playing well and is overmatched and he'll keep going down. manager's job to figure out which is right icon_razz.gif it does happen where ratings will go back up though.

If I have any player on a 5 at half time, presuming I don't sub them, I say I am angry with their performance at home, or encourage if I am away, vertually always does the trick, in fact 9 times out of 10 they go on and score in the 2nd half, defender or not.

I've had mixed results but on occasion a defender on a 5 at h/t finishes with a 7 or even 8!

Of course, maybe hes just pants that day, or is totally out-classed by an exceptional opponent, but not necessarily.

Three issues: one is the individual player-talk at half-time. Providing he's a true professional, a real rollicking will likely buck him up.

Two is that a player's rating can be overly harsh due to one mistake or giving away a penalty. Often when you check his h/t stats you see that he made plenty good passes, headers, tackles and interceptions, but an unfortunate own goal is the sole cause of his 5 rating.

Three - conversely, if the defender scores, his rating will leap, so if he can benefit from the corner exploit and score for you, he could end up with MoM, which I've experienced in the past.

Originally posted by Rocknrollpear:

Have yours ever managed to recover and play well in the second half?

Mine always seem to stay on a 5, despite not conceding in the 2nd half or him seemingly doing anything wrong.

defenders stats drop massively if they make a major mistake.

like a terrible pass that ended in a goal.

think after that, either they never recover mentally from such a terrible mistake and continue to just put in a bog standard performance or the 2nd half ratings take into account the terrible mistake in the first half.

I always encourage at halftime. If the DF doesn't improve in the next 10-15 minutes, I give him the hook and blast him ("disappointing" for a 5, "angry" for a 4) after the match.

About half the time the DF improves his rating in the second half. I've had some go from 5 to 7.

• 4 weeks later...

Well said Backpackant! My defenders who have 5 at the break sometimes end up having 7s. I must admit I usually sub them because sometime its not good for their moral to keep them in the game. You remember about three years ago Boumsong at Newcastle had a dreadful time and Souness sent him to France for a week to recover? I do things like that with my players and it helps. They sometimes respond by saying they are pleased to have been given some time off after a series of terrible cameos.

I've had mixed results but on occasion a defender on a 5 at h/t finishes with a 7 or even 8!

Of course, maybe hes just pants that day, or is totally out-classed by an exceptional opponent, but not necessarily.

Three issues: one is the individual player-talk at half-time. Providing he's a true professional, a real rollicking will likely buck him up.

I agree with you. If a player has had a particularly bad first half then giving him the 'hair dryer' treatment work wonders 9 times out of 10. I think weather or not he improves after the team talk also depends on his hiden stats.

yup its definitely possible to do better but depends from what, e.g. if they score an own goal or mistake leading to goal it stays whole game pretty much unless they can score. I don't think scoring should be ranked so high though defenders jobs should be to defend.

Archived