Squad Harmony

I just started a new game and wanted to give Real Madrid a try. After the usual "welcome to the club" messages and press conference, I set up the team so the assistant manager takes control of friendlies (I really hate them, I know I should watch them but I just can't bring myself to) and click continue to play through the first friendly which is an intra-squad one.

The moment the game gets past that result, I get three news items.

Raul is unhappy with the lack of squad harmony

Guti - the same

Karim Benzema - the same

I check the squad and lo and behold, EVERYONE is miserable.

It was because the assistant manager wasn't showering them with praise after he took charge of one lousy friendly match. After we had trounced our own reserve side 5-1, and the assistant manager gave a full-time teamtalk of "none" the entire squad was "angered and confused". This seems pretty ridiculous. What's he meant to say? "Well done on defeating our own reserves who are terrible?". These guys are the best of the best, do they really care about how well they do against terrible teams? If they had just won a tough away game in the Champs League and I'd said nothing or the assistant had said nothing, I can understand...but this is a bit over the top, no? It also means I dare not trust my assistant when I go on holiday or if I don't fancy managing through a meaningless friendly that's more about getting the squad fit.

I wonder if the game gets confused because it thinks your reserve side are a Real Madrid reputation side, because they are attached to Real Madrid? So it's like your team beating a top, top team 5-1 and getting no praise? I've not seen this happen when I play against ****** non-leaguers, only against my own reserves. I bet that's it.

It's your first game in charge and you haven't bothered to give a team talk, your assistant has to fill in the blanks, perhaps he said that he was angry with their first half performance, perhaps he told them the result didn't matter, then lost his temper at half time, this could be confusing for the players. There are countless possibilities and imo most of them point towards Ass Man error, which in turn is human error because you didn't bother playing the match.

No like I said, he gave a team talk of "none" pre match, at HT and FT. You can check the teamtalk feedback which I did, since I wanted to make sure he hadn't done any of those things.

It's also just an intra-squad friendly. It's a training match.

And like I said, he has good motivating and man management skills, so he shouldn't be giving stupid team talks very often anyway!

When you leave your Ass Man to do the post and pre match confrences that can be a recipe for disaster to...sometimes the players will love him for bigging them up for a huge rival game but other times hes useless and tells the players they have no chance!!

Surely he should be positive all time

When you leave your Ass Man to do the post and pre match confrences that can be a recipe for disaster to...sometimes the players will love him for bigging them up for a huge rival game but other times hes useless and tells the players they have no chance!!

Surely he should be positive all time

Why would he be positive all the time? Telling a team that "they can win" when they have absolutely no chance of winning can cause more damage than telling them they have no chance. Lieing and being positive for no reason would undermine his ability.

I agree mate, it is something that has been a problem in FM ever since the feature was introduced. Still, four or five years on, it still hasn't been sorted.
The Asst Manager bit has been a problem for years but in FM2010 the players totally over react to team talks. Hopefully it will be toned down in the patch.

Why would he be positive all the time? Telling a team that "they can win" when they have absolutely no chance of winning can cause more damage than telling them they have no chance. Lieing and being positive for no reason would undermine his ability.

I hear what you say and makes perfect sense but I was just thinking that hes better off declining to comment rather than upseting the team..my star striker Gignac has requested a transfer because A) Juventus and B.Munich want him adn B) He fell out with My ASS Man

Archived