Epic Penalty shootouts, must be a bug

Seen much worse. :o

Not a bug per se, but I do think goalies aren't good enough at saving penalties/players are too clinical and rarely hit it at the GK (or over, wide, underpowered etc)

Seen much worse also. Penalty shoot-outs must be bugged because so many are missed in game but most are scored in shootouts

Now, whilst your's can't be called a bug on it's own, and even Wee Aja's can't (due to the sample size), I must say that penalty shootouts and penalties in general are a tad buggered! They have been for a few years in fact.

From memory my results in the shootouts are:

4-3

9-8

3-1

5-4

...and I think there was a 4-3 and a 6-5 at some point, can't quite remember though.

Now, whilst your's can't be called a bug on it's own, and even Wee Aja's can't (due to the sample size), I must say that penalty shootouts and penalties in general are a tad buggered! They have been for a few years in fact.

From memory my results in the shootouts are:

4-3

9-8

3-1

5-4

...and I think there was a 4-3 and a 6-5 at some point, can't quite remember though.

I don't see anything wrong with those scores. 9-8 is a bit much but it does happen ocassionally in real life too. And 5-4, 4-3 and 3-1 are quite normal penalty shootout results.

This page has been posted before on the FM09 version of this thread (link). I would suggest a person on a long career game to post shootouts for FA cup, CL, Europa league and as many different international competitions for as many years as possible and then work the average, variance etc. I reckon that the person who does this will find the 42-41s to be occasional outliers to the mean.

Well, I'll gather a sample... Let's say...

...100 penalty shootouts and have a look. If someone can gather data on real penalty shootouts we can compare and see if in fact there is something wrong here. I've now gathered 20 penalty shootouts and it's looking likely that indeed, there are a few that have been borderline epic.

"1-0 0

"2-0 0

"2-1 0

"3-0 1

"3-1 2

"3-2 1

"4-1 3

"4-2 11

"4-3 11

"5-3 13

"5-4 19

"6-5 3

"7-6 3

"8-7 6

"9-8 2

"10-9 1

"11-10 1

"12-11 0

"13-12 1

Sample size of 78.

Hmmm... There's definitely a lot of shootout which become epic.

Anyone have any statistics on real penalty shootouts?

This was something I brought up in 09, not one penalty shoot out of mine in 09 was in single figures, and it seems to be worse in 10

Anyway being a Norwich fan I don't want to talk about bloody penalty shoot outs ;~)

It seems to be an issue indeed, while actually the opening examlpe seems fine to me. Just coincidence that twice two penalties are not converted in a row to make it last that long. I would have been more worried if all had been converted but for the last one.

Archived