'Array out of bounds'

This is a problem they've had with the game for several versions now. After doing a bit of a search on google I found this possible fix for the problem. Use this at YOUR OWN RISK and dont blame me if it stuffs things up on your computer. You should probably back up your registry before you try this though!

If you are getting an Array access out of bounds when you start the game up. Here is what to do!

Go to Start in the bottom left of your screen and then Run. In the run box type ‘regedit’ (no comma’s

This will open the Windows registry editor.

Now go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then Software and then Sports Interactive Ltd.

Click on Football Manager 2005 once to highlight it. Then press the delete button to delete it.

Close regedit and reboot your machine.

Can't say what is causing it but if you want a technical explanation...

Example of an array would be [10, 19, 82, 28, 2]. This is an array which is storing five values in the computers memory. Now, what happends if the game tries to access the sixth value? Since there is no sixth value you get an array out of bounds error.

I used to always get this on FM07 and FM08, but that was on my old computer, I haven't got it on this one yet :)

As already stated, the only way I found round it was to just keep clicking 'Ok' and evntually it went away. I did try just clicking on the FM tab on the bar at the bottom of the screen, but then the game would crash, so I think you just have to persist with clicking 'OK' until it goes.

Snarko - thanks for that, makes me understand it abit at least now.

I personally got this error on FM10 when I added an obscene number of extra league .xmls to the game. Close inspection showed that when it went over 82 added countries the game couldn't handle it, though even closer inspection has led me to suspect it's actually down to the cumulative size of the .xmls.

Have you added a load of league edits or somesuch? Try removing them (don't have to delete them, just move them temporarily to a different folder as a test) and see if you get the error.

Personally I'm hoping 10.2 fixes this problem as I have ambitions of adding a league for every FIFA country, but I don't have my hopes up - my problem appears to be a little uncommon (I doubt many people are as mad as me, trying to add this many leagues ;))

I get this too and have to click a dozen times to get rid of it. Is trekman's regedit tip a safe one? And did you mean FM2005 or did you c&p an old post?

I got it from this site so it should be safe since it was posted by a member of the si staff. It was copy and pasted from an original article that dealt with fm2005 but the fix should still work with the current game I would have though. Make sure that you backup the registry before trying it though.

Archived