...ive just witnessed my worst result in FM history (therapy needed)

Backstory:

Ok i cruize though the 2010 FIFA World cup qualifying group 6p playing as England, with 10 straight wins (about 6 of which were already played when I took over) beating croatica 5-1 was a highlight. I was however going quite bad at freindlys, getting beat by holland 1-0, just managing to beat solenvia 1-0 getting beat by brazil 2-0 and lasltly getting beat by spain 2-0 just before the world cup.

The world cup itself drew near, I was drawn with Sweden, south korea and algeria in the group stages. I was fairly optimistic abou the world cup, I had no serious injuries and everyone I wanted to be at the world cup was, bar Wayne rooney who would miss my first group game and gareth barry who would also miss my first group game due to suspension.

Anyway I steamroll South korea in my first game 4-1, it was a fanstastic performance, next I won 3-2 agaiast sweden, it was close but my plaers class showed in the end.

That was enough to qualify for the second round.

I decide a change of formation from a 4-5-1 to a 4-4-2 for the final game agaist algeria, I only need 1 point (a draw) to finish top of the group, in which I was very keen to do beacuse A: If i finished 2nd I would face germany in the second round, and if I finished 1st I would face poland, and B: finishing 2nd in my group is what screewed me over in my last save (ended up playing spain in the second round) So I decided field a full strength side, despite some of my players being a yellow away from suspension, then this happens:

FORMATION 1ST HALF:

------------------B foster----------

--G Johnson----R Ferdinand---J Terry---A Cole

--S Gerrard-----J Cole--------F lampard--A Young

----------W Rooney--------P Crouch----------

FORMATION 2ND HALF:

------------------B foster----------

--G Johnson----R Ferdinand---J Terry---A Cole

-----------F Lampard-----J Cole-----------

A Young-----------S Gerrard--------W Rooney---

-------------------P Crouch------------------

SUBS & SENDINGS OFF:

G Barry ON 62, G johnson OFF

J lescott ON 62, A Cole OFF

R Ferdinand SENT OFF 63, 2nd yellow

M Richards ON 62, A Young OFF

FIANAL SCORE: England 1-4 Algeria

.....I...I dont know what to say...they didnt just win they played us off the park.....Now I face Germany in the last 16 but im tempted to just resign now out of embasserment...help plz...

Well playing 9 men behind the ball seems sensible if you only need a point and one of your centre-backs has been sent off...but you do need to consider - who wanted it more?

(Also, fond memories of managing Algeria (and learning Arabic as a fluent language) in FM2007 means I have little sympathy for you...)

Looking forward to see how badly you did against Germany.

By the way....

I once managed France and barely qualified for the World Cup.

When I got to the world cup, I started with 1 loss and 1 draw, and only scaped a 1-0 win in my last game and managed to go through to the 2nd Round.

I was embarassed at how badly I was doing, but something changed when it went out to the knock-out stage.

I eventually went on to win the World Cup that tournament, putting 3 goals past Argentina in a perfect performance and is still my only ever World Cup win on any SI CM/FM.

I hope for your sake, you managed to actually go on and win the tournament.

Resigning mid World cup after a 4-1 loss when you already qualified not only is a mistake, but shows that you have less of a spine than your complacent squad. :p

I didnt want to leave out crouch or rooney beacuse they had done so well in the past 2 group games, also algeria only needed a point to qualify and a win to go in as group winners, maybe it was the formation change, I just panicked abit at half time so I switched to the formation that served me so well in qualifying....going to take gemany on now...pray for me...

Final Score:

http://s772.photobucket.com/albums/yy3/Evilyoshi/?action=view&current=Untitled-1.jpg

At least I was able to restore some personal pride, but thats it with me and FM, for the time being at least, Ill be playing sum WoW for abit.

Im pretty sure the FA will sack me, but oh well...once again not finish top of my group has screwed me over, annoyingly there goal keeper got MoM at 8.5 which explains all the dominence a had without converting, in my last save agiast spain the GK got MoM so that was kind of annoying, kinda funny how John terry was the one to miss as well.

I can't believe no-one has picked up on this yet - your main problem is your midfield! Especially CM! NEVER ever ever play two attacking midfielders like Joe Cole and Lampard together with no DM. Where is Hargreaves or Barry?

I personally always play a DM and an AM, forget CM. If I played two CM's though I would use a DM or at the very least a CM (even useless Carrick) as a ball winner. Who do you expect to make tackles and win the ball, stop others playing in your CM? Joe Cole?! Frank Lampard?!

I'm sorry, but it's a far too commonly used phrase on this forum, but it really IS your tactics here. 9/10 times with that CM you will get beat by good countries.

Trust me, drop Ashley Young and use him as an impact sub, stick Joe Cole out left, and play a diamond formation in midfield:

___________________________________________Barry/Hargreaves_______________________________________

Gerrard______________________________________________________________________________________J. Cole

__________________________________________ Super Franky Lampard______________________________________________

Play Gerrard as a wide midfielder, Barry/Hargreaves as a defensive midfielder, Joe Cole as a winger, Frank Lampard as an attacking midfielder on (attack rather than support).

Alternatively if you didn't pick a DM, put Gerrard there or in central midfield as a ball winner, he will do the job. Then put Ashley Young out wide.

• 4 months later...

ffs as i was reading this thread look what ****ing happens

thisisgay.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

4-0 cruising while laughing at the defeats... then the most epic comeback ever then they go on to lose

FTML!

then adebayor has the cheek to critisize my critism of this **** team

A few years ago I happened to be on the winning side of such a comeback. Pure joy!

now i have to beat roma to go through (they already finished top) shalke are the other team, what a group of death.

happened to me aswell but being on the recieving end sucks!!!!!

This is one of my more embarrasing result (thankfully i didnt lose it but was close too as i was 4-2 down at half time). I foolishly thought my strike force would compensate for playing some of my younger less experianced players in defence and GK. Turns out it could of been a very costly mistake

worstresult.jpg

Archived