Sudden total form loss?

Ok I'm on my second, huge loss of form of the season with Blackburn, the first one I identified as playing a counter attacking tactic in the wrong circumstances and playing "standard" seemed to rectify the situation.

My problems this time seem to stem from the striker (I play 1 up) who has just stopped scoring, I haven't scored in 5 games. I've done everything I can think of to give my main striker the confidence to play. Despite my efforts several ratings of 5 or lower forced me to drop him, unfortunately the guys who came in are doing just as badly. My team are creating a decent amount of chances, despite the fact I'm playing a Bolton type tactic, it's just my strikers are having a bit of a crisis. Other than the things I've already done is there anything that can be done to improve just this one area of the team?

Fantastic! Striker form has spread through the whole team now in the space of 2 games. No ccc, no shots on target and a grand total of 5 shots. In my experience from previous saves I'd be lucky to win a corner now for the rest of the season! I'm totally out of idea's, anyone had any success with one striker or should I change to 2, or possibly 3?

Changes are needed, this happens IRL. Just because you have a good tactic doesnt mean it will always work, I have a REALLY good one that I only use against the superior teams, in my league thats about 10 games a season out of around 50. The rest I usually play more attacking as I can often carve our a 2-0 or 2-1 that way

This is my problem with FM10 overall. I know others have had no such difficulties, but I am virtually guarenteed to experience at least one of these death spirals per season (not just a rough patch, as the OP nicely puts it, unlikely to win a corner let alone a match). I haven't been able to find a solution as yet - I'm sure you don't want to hear 'just wait and hope that 10.2.0 is better' - generally tinkering with tactics just makes this worse by getting away from what worked to begin with.

I am pretty pleased with my tactic; it has worked really well for me in the 3 career games i have had (Newcastle, Notts County and Genoa) I play 1 up and my forwards can't stop scoring. If you tell me how to upload I will do.

"Very rigid" is part of the tactic I'm using as it closely resembles Allardice era Bolton. Also regarding player condition I don't tend to play anyone under 85%, so can't see it being that.

Try moving down to rigid(i found it much more efficient for me) and changing the direction from where you are mainly attacking. I am assuming that because your ST was quite successful ,other side is playing more narrow, deeper and paying extra attention to him.

Also, trying to lure them out would help.If you are already doing that,try to push up.

"Very rigid" is part of the tactic I'm using as it closely resembles Allardice era Bolton. Also regarding player condition I don't tend to play anyone under 85%, so can't see it being that.

85%?! Bloody hell, I don't play anyone under 95% unless it's a huge game or I have got no-one else to play. Even if it's a massive game I would never start someone less than 90% fit.

Try moving down to rigid(i found it much more efficient for me) and changing the direction from where you are mainly attacking. I am assuming that because your ST was quite successful ,other side is playing more narrow, deeper and paying extra attention to him.

Also, trying to lure them out would help.If you are already doing that,try to push up.

Even if they are paying more attention to him, he's 19 for heading and TM supply is to head, so he should still win more headers than the defenders generally speaking. As for them playing more narrow, that's the thing, teams who come to my ground, which is huge, seem to play wider if anything, which shouldn't work for them that often because that's my teams speciality.

Away from home I always adapt to the opposition/pitch/conditions with some success in the beginning. It seems the AI can adapt to your tactics even when you alter them for each game now! Seriously how can it do that!

Even if they are paying more attention to him, he's 19 for heading and TM supply is to head, so he should still win more headers than the defenders generally speaking. As for them playing more narrow, that's the thing, teams who come to my ground, which is huge, seem to play wider if anything, which shouldn't work for them that often because that's my teams speciality.

Away from home I always adapt to the opposition/pitch/conditions with some success in the beginning. It seems the AI can adapt to your tactics even when you alter them for each game now! Seriously how can it do that!

I had same issue with struggling for couple of matches, while i was trying to clinch EPL tile (needed 4 points out of 4 matches).After i lost to Wigan due to same symptoms that you had i switched to rigid defensive 442 (from rigid standard) with high closing down, cautious tackling and more direct passing (in addition to no creativity and roaming).

I tweaked that as necessary with TI's and won last 5 matches easily, 1 being ECC final(3:0) and another FA cup final (4:0).In total, i won 5:1, 4:0 and 3:0, all while playing defensive.So AI does push through middle (actually extremely narrow in the middle with wingers hugging touchline), even though it has appearance of going all wide.I am assuming that it's one of the "special" AI tactics that SI has in game.

And if you need to keep result safe for last 10 minutes i can give you my self made shutdown tactic that i am using since FM'05. I never conceded goal in 120+ (EPL and higher) matches that i played with FM 10, and scored several on counters with it.

I have these issues as well and what I have done is create another formation to sit in the same general tactic. Just try and change the look not the intent. Now, that said I usually have the issue of my defence going to hell, so my change is from a 442 to 4132. A troubled attack might be a bit trickier. Maybe try a simple switch to put two upfront, or someone in the hole.

Archived