This Is Exactly The Kind Of Thing That Ruins FM

I'm in the 2nd season of my Wolves save. I finished 8th in the first season just missing out on Europe as my form suddenly died and i won only one of my last six games(the very last one once Europe was unatainable)

In season two we are again overachieving and have been in the top four all season, we have won seven of our last eight games(the other a 1-2 loss away to Arsenal) and all we needed was ONE point from our last three games to qualify for the CL.

Our 36th EPL game of the season was Away to Villa, in a close contest we lost 1-2 to a last minute goal, fair enough.

Our 37th game is Away to Man City who have clawed their way into the top four, on first glance i expected very little from the game, but before kick off i notice that the condition of their players is very low(fixture congestion meant they had to play a few games in a very short period of time)

City Players Condition

34oshnm.jpg

The Match Stats

iwixqe.jpg

This is about as comprehensively as we have been beaten ALL season, City never tired and yet again the goals came in their usual fashion, 30 yarder, Def Error and Penalty out of nothing.

We still had our last game to go and i expected a tricky tie against Spurs, although we were at least at Home for this game.

Screenie Below

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the stats at Half Time - Remember we just need a point.

34qtr1g.jpg

Full Time Stats

2cdtj5s.jpg

So we finish 5th and we are quite honestly ROBBED by the game of CL Football

Just to make it even better, Liverpool HAD to win their last game of the season, albeit away to Burnley, below are the stats for that game.

What exactly are you complaining about?

They beat you because they scored more goals, they created more chances (ie. they were perhaps tactically better) and because they have better players. Add too the fact that they have the home advantage, and presumably confidence in their ability to beat a team who'd just lost to inferior opposition.

:confused:

85% - 90% condition isn't bad at all for the end of season, and if you wanted it to have much of an impact you'd need to play in a way as to frustrate and wear them out sooner, or at least gone on the attack nearing the end.

They beat you because they scored more goals, they created more chances (ie. they were perhaps tactically better) and because they have better players. Add too the fact that they have the home advantage, and presumably confidence in their ability to beat a team who'd just lost to inferior opposition.

85% - 90% condition isn't bad at all for the end of season, and if you wanted it to have much of an impact you'd need to play in a way as to frustrate and wear them out sooner, or at least gone on the attack nearing the end.

Jog on...................

So they created and took their chances, and from the looks of it went on the attack (particularly after losing a man), and were only let in by defensive errors or great goals. Much easier game than away at Man City.

If you're that fussed, load a save from before the match and try again, but what exactly are you complaining about? That you had a harder game and against superior opposition and didn't play as well as you needed to, presumably due to your tactics? :confused:

Was the game of importance to Man City (in any case I'd imagine they'd want to beat a worse team at home), and the other unimportant to Burnley (already relegated)?

well comparing your teams to man city and spurs, you didnt deserve anything from both games, although your team played well, maybe you should have earn't a draw but you didnt. Its just the way things go. You have europa league, s be happy with that and improve your this season by finishing 4th next season.

And in all fairness wolves shouldnt be in the top half never mind the top 4, so take it in your stride and keep going (Y)

Hammer, as much as it's frustrating to lose, I've got to agree with Hersie on this one. Ratings of only 85-90% are probably not enough to give you a significant advantage in this match, especially when you're Wolves playing AWAY to Man City. If they were all in the bracket of 70-80% then yes, it would be a bit harsh to see the City players all running around scoring goals as if they were 100% fit. 85-90% in my game though is common amongst the opposition all the way through the season, not just at the end.

Another reason for your team's failure, particularly vs Spurs, could be that your players have poor 'Pressure' and/or 'Important Matches' attributes. Of course it could just be bad luck. As I said, if you're that bothered, go to an earlier save and play the matches again.

Hershie, you're right sometimes but your desire to please the guys at SI sometimes becomes a bit comical. I feel for the man. He got his things togheter and he is robbed. Def Error, Longshot and penatly, I know all three. I got a great defence in my save and I get my goals conceded by 80 % from Set pieces or longshots.

Just recently I played a game vs a lowly third division team. Sometimes FM just 'wants' you to lose. I had 36-7 in shot statistics at the end of the first 90 minutes. They had 2 goals. And I had been on a streak by then, winning against Lyon with 0-4 away. And it was also a longshot and a penalty that they got. In the end, I managed to get a goal with 2 mins before the full time, despite being on overload with 4-3-3 the last 60 minutes of the game(they got their two goals the first 20 mins). I was sure that the A.I wanted a penatly shoot-out(one I'd probably lose as it was out after me, more or less).

But I was saved by my striker who happened to have a 9.1 avg. score rating day. But that was an anomaly.

The perception is that often, if the A.I can't beat you by tactics or players, you get these matches were you just can't score no matter how good form, morale or players you have. And the enemy, so crappy that they can't do sh*t, they get penalites over and over and over, as well as free-kick and longshot goals all the time.

I prefer to lose tactically to a good A.I. manager(which, thankfully, is still the norm whenever I lose) than to some C-side team on a flawed A.I.

Hershie, you're right sometimes but your desire to please the guys at SI sometimes becomes a bit comical. I feel for the man. He got his things togheter and he is robbed. Def Error, Longshot and penatly, I know all three. I got a great defence in my save and I get my goals conceded by 80 % from Set pieces or longshots.

Just recently I played a game vs a lowly third division team. Sometimes FM just 'wants' you to lose. I had 36-7 in shot statistics at the end of the first 90 minutes. They had 2 goals. And I had been on a streak by then, winning against Lyon with 0-4 away. And it was also a longshot and a penalty that they got. In the end, I managed to get a goal with 2 mins before the full time, despite being on overload with 4-3-3 the last 60 minutes of the game(they got their two goals the first 20 mins). I was sure that the A.I wanted a penatly shoot-out(one I'd probably lose as it was out after me, more or less).

But I was saved by my striker who happened to have a 9.1 avg. score rating day. But that was an anomaly.

The perception is that often, if the A.I can't beat you by tactics or players, you get these matches were you just can't score no matter how good form, morale or players you have. And the enemy, so crappy that they can't do sh*t, they get penalites over and over and over, as well as free-kick and longshot goals all the time.

I prefer to lose tactically to a good A.I. manager(which, thankfully, is still the norm whenever I lose) than to some C-side team on a flawed A.I.

When have I defended anything? I've suggested a whole number of reasons for why he may have lost - ie. being open minded and rational. He's not been robbed - he didn't take his chances, and while it's unfortunate, to outright blame the game is the only thing comical here.

FM never wants you to lose, but I do agree that sometimes the opposition ability to counter your tactical choices is perhaps too good - but a good manager and a good team should, on most occasions, thrive under such pressure. I've had top strikers go off form, but I've persisted with them and they've come good - I don't think the game is broken because they have spells of poor form. :confused: In one save as Everton it took Bilyaletdinov 36 games to score a goal, and that game ultimately turned out to be a defeat anyway..

Do you have any evidence for the "80% of goals.." claim, or that the AI is substantially flawed? :)

Please fella's if all your going to do is defend the game then dont post, its hard enough trying not to swear while i'm posting about FM.

Below is a screenshot of how well we usually play against top sides with players in top condition.

ojgu8x.jpg

Our good form before the last three games.

2s8h9q9.jpg

So Hershie, you wouldn't want to make the helpful suggestion that Hammer could open up a thread dedicated to his never-ending negativity, put all his gripes in there and allow us all to ignore him? We all know he never ever accepts criticism, constructive or otherwise, so why does anyone bother to read or respond?

These conspiracy theories get a little dull sometimes. I notice these complaints usually come from gamers who are playing as teams who shouldn't even be close to achieving what they've achieved already.

There may be weighting issues in the game that affect these results. There may be weighting issues with "big game" or "pressure" attributes having too big an impact on the game. But to summarise:

Man City were on the verge of the CL and had far superior players.

Liverpool were on the verge of the CL with far superior players.

Wolves had overperformed and fell apart a little at the end of the season.

Where exactly is the problem?

Hull's first real life season in the Prem they beat Arsenal and Liverpool and were top half of the table for most of the season but fell apart toward the end and could barely string two passes together let alone win a game. The season took its toll both mentally and physically and after a good overperformance for most of the season, they nearly got relegated.

Okay, I can't pretend to defend the game to the hilt, and I never have, but to suggest the game is at fault entirely is, at worst, nonesense, and at best an unsubstantiated theory. A lot of things in FM have too much impact on performances - the wrong/right thing said at press conferences, the wrong/right team talk - so there's no reason to think that teams with superior players shouldn't be that little bit more motivated and professional than an over-achieving Wolves team.

Liverpool capitulated last season.

Chelsea threw a decent lead away over Man U recently.

And don't forget the immortal: "I'd love it if we beat them - LOVE IT!!!"

The only way you can prove without doubt that the game is 100% cheating and stopping you from winning (I know you haven't said that directly, but it sounds like this is what you're hinting at) is to replay, say, the Man City game a couple of times. Or even better, the Tottenham game. You didn't create THAT many chances, and pointing to previous results in football is utterly meaningless.

If anything, the fault with the game is that Wolves have done so well so quickly.

So Hershie, you wouldn't want to make the helpful suggestion that Hammer could open up a thread dedicated to his never-ending negativity, put all his gripes in there and allow us all to ignore him? We all know he never ever accepts criticism, constructive or otherwise, so why does anyone bother to read or respond?

Its always the same people defending the game in the same old sad way.

I dont need advice, the point of the thread is to show just how bad this game is, it is completely unbalanced, scorelines and stats rarely fit the awful matches you have to endure via the ME, even the poorest teams can play one touch 20 yard passes, 90% of goals conceded are either screamers from distance or Titus Brambleish defensive errors, its a complete and utter shambles, yet you defend SI without compromise???

I dont need advice, the point of the thread is to show just how bad this game is, it is completely unbalanced, scorelines and stats rarely fit the awful matches you have to endure via the ME, even the poorest teams can play one touch 20 yard passes, 90% of goals conceded are either screamers from distance or Titus Brambleish defensive errors, its a complete and utter shambles, yet you defend SI without compromise???

Why on Earth do you play this game?

Hammer, if you really feel that strongly about the 'bugs' - then report them in the bugs forum.

And what's with the 'agree or don't post' attitude? This is a discussion forum - if no-one is allowed to disagree - then where is the discussion?

You might think the game is bad, but other people don't agree. At least not based on the evidence that you're presenting.

Sorry.

Hammer, if you really feel that strongly about the 'bugs' - then report them in the bugs forum.

And what's with the 'agree or don't post' attitude? This is a discussion forum - if no-one is allowed to disagree - then where is the discussion?

Neji mate, i'm sure most/all of these things have been posted in the bugs forum already, the thing is does that mean that they are likely to be fixed? based on the fact that we still have many recurring bugs from previous games that have never been fixed is it really that likely?

Take a look at the defending issues, its almost bad enough to make the game unplayable, its the reason there are so many wonder goals, the reason why strikers are scoring way too many goals as well as many other things, but when i first brought this up here on the Forum, PaulC said there may be a small issue with how the game recognises tackles, i mean come on please?????

Then there are still those who refuse to see that theres a problem at all and yet more who wont hear a bad word said about SI even though the last few releases of the game have been terrible.

At least if people who disagree dont post then we are not going to have any arguments.

Maybe they all have been reported but it wouldn't hurt to report them again, supplying evidence of them. I'm not the person who can tell you whether they will get fixed or not, but by reporting them, you're doing the testing/coding team a great deal of help.

I don't get the crusade to get everyone to agree with you. If people are enjoying the game despite these problems - or they can justify them (at least to themselves) - then what's the problem? As far as I can see, that's the whole point of this thread.

Neji mate, i'm sure most/all of these things have been posted in the bugs forum already, the thing is does that mean that they are likely to be fixed? based on the fact that we still have many recurring bugs from previous games that have never been fixed is it really that likely?

Take a look at the defending issues, its almost bad enough to make the game unplayable, its the reason there are so many wonder goals, the reason why strikers are scoring way too many goals as well as many other things, but when i first brought this up here on the Forum, PaulC said there may be a small issue with how the game recognises tackles, i mean come on please?????

Then there are still those who refuse to see that theres a problem at all and yet more who wont hear a bad word said about SI even though the last few releases of the game have been terrible.

At least if people who disagree dont post then we are not going to have any arguments.

And yet you still buy the game, play 2 complete seasons with this unplayable game. Poor you!

Hammer1000: Do you really want a game where you can't lose important games or go on a bad run? A game where you can determine pre-game which team is the better one and therefore shall win? A game where players and refs don't make any mistakes?

Where's the fun of such a game?

I fully agree that it sometimes feels like the game wants you to lose but I also think that's more of a feeling than a fact.

/JB

Look face it Garry, you had a Champions League place all but wrapped up but your team blew it.

Hard luck mate!

Outstanding response!

......And what's with the 'agree or don't post' attitude? This is a discussion forum - if no-one is allowed to disagree - then where is the discussion?

Outstanding response!

Hull's first real life season in the Prem they beat Arsenal and Liverpool and were top half of the table for most of the season but fell apart toward the end and could barely string two passes together let alone win a game. The season took its toll both mentally and physically and after a good overperformance for most of the season, they nearly got relegated.

Outstanding response!

ps..... I am not being sarcastic. These are some of the best responses I have seen to these types of threads.

Sometims I just don't understand what people are looking for when they create threads like this. Do you want everyone to agree with you? if you do, what does that resolve? and then asking for those that do not agree with you to not to post (I got an infraction the other day for saying the same things - though in a different way ;)). SI are clearly not going to agree and therefore will not post, so all you will have is a thread full of players that beleive everything is wrong....... can you just imagine that thread......

AM

I'd like to complain too.

My lower mid table championship Notts county side just went on a 11 game unbeaten run at the business end of the season (mostly wins) dragging themselves into the playoffs and then valiantly got promoted.

Absolutely ridiculous. Must be a bug. Earlier on in the season they couldn't string 2 results together etc etc etc. Whine whine whine.

Oh hang on that's the opposite of your experience hammer. Maybe both are possible. Maybe I said the right thing to them at some point and you said the wrong thing. Maybe my players have more nads them yours or maybe it's just a good football management game with a lot of variables. God knows my teams have fallen apart at vital points before.

Oh my head hurts thinking about all the bugs. Then again that could just be all the champagne knocking around my dressing room. Don't suppose that is your problem though..

Look face it Garry, you had a Champions League place all but wrapped up but your team blew it.

Hard luck mate!

No mate, it happened because the game is way out of whack, granted i should never have been there in the first place with the likes of Wolves, but having done so i was beaten by whatever part of the game calculates that Wolves should "bottle it" at this stage not because of my lack of Managerial skill.

Lets face it, had i shown you screenshots of the last three games in which i'd had 40 shots and 20 CCC's in each gamewithout conceding a single shot and lost every game 1-0 to an OG you would still say the exact same thing and would find no fault with the game, as would all the usual suspects who defend it.

Thats whats wrong mate.

As it happens i had'nt really wanted to qualify for the CL because i dont think i had a squad ready for it, but to be cheated out of it because the game is messed up is pathetic.

I would be interested to know what sort of team talks you used for these games where you feel you were robbed, have you tried playing them again to help provide feedback for the bugs forum?

If the game is messed up like you say then you wont ever win these games but Im certain if you did play them again you would find that they are winnable and that you were simply outclassed in the first and unlucky in the second. I agree the Spurs game would be hard to take but the City game you were just beaten fair and square.

Really? I am not denying that long shots and closing need to be tweaked, but how do you explain me doing this with default standard 442, if defending is "so bad"(check all zero's and final goal against tally), and i had total of 3 long shot goals scored against me.

Matches1.jpg?t=1260636312

Matches2.png

And Squad is far from being full of "superstars", and still won ECC, EPL, LC and FA Cup :

Team.jpg

Final Table:

FinalTable.jpg

I can provide pkm's if you need them...

There are many problems with this game that SI are I'm sure working hard to resolve.

And over the years I have lost cup finals, missed out on title, champs league place, playoffs, promotion, etc, by a point, or by a few goals, even on the last day of the season.

What have I have never done is thought 'ooh I'm being robbed here'. It's football, you get highs and lows, it's realistic.

If you want it to be that easy that in only your second season as Wolves you can get into Champions League, just use the editor, give yourself £200M, Rooney, Terry, Lampard, Messi, Buffon, etc.

If you want realism, don't complain when your side who have no right to be in he Champions League, just miss out!

Honestly, I'm not having a go, but if I were you I would be patting myself on the back for a fantastic couple of seasons and thinking 'next year we WILL get a Champions League place - we may even win the league!' Rather than moaning!

Just been looking at another post where a guy was complaining his game was crashing, and was attacked for saying he had enjoyed the game up to that point.

Personally I don't think (despite the best efforts of some) this forum offers much help for people because there are too many who do just want to have a go at both SI and FM, which is made worse by those who attack anyone complaining, even if they can provide evidence it's often ignored or mocked.

I think the best thing we can all do at this point is wait for patch 2, then those who don't have problems carry on playing and enjoying the game. Those of us who still have issues may seriously have to consider whether the game will ever match our expectations.

That's my attempt to find a constructive solution to what seems to have been brewing since 07 IMO.

I saw that with my team. They often suddendly play worse when they only have to win a few points to get promoted or win a cup...

It's really annoying to see a team begin to lose games after being really good most of the season.

What do I do in this case ? I shout some harsh words against my players (And win a "sh*t up, it's only a game" from my friends...), and hope I'll win nearly every games the next season in case they play the same at the end of the season.

But sometimes, I find it hard to believe, when it happens 3 or 4 seasons in a row... (In a FM09 game, it took me five seasons to be promoted, after missing for 1 or 2 points each season. I nearly did a real party when I finally get promoted... :p:p:p)

First and foremost football is sometimes a funny old game and teams beat teams they shouldnt but in your case they should have beat you. Just because your on a good run of form doesnt immediately mean your gonna win anything?? No game in football is a free win. Lets look at Everton today getting a draw at Stamford Bridge. Did anyone see that coming no. Dont moan about random results.

Also you are one of the few "paranoia people" i've seen on these forums. Sometimes this stuff just happens. Dont blame the game, blame your team/tactics. Also please remember how big an impact mentality has on a game in real life and all the random factors. I'm not defending the game here, im defending football. Just because you lose its the games fault. When you win is that still because of the game or is that because your the next Brian Clough???

Dont rant and rave about something your never going to be able to prove. It's like going on a Aethists forum and moaning because you think god exists.

As it happens i had'nt really wanted to qualify for the CL because i dont think i had a squad ready for it, but to be cheated out of it because the game is messed up is pathetic.

Perhaps you cheated yourself and it wasn't FM? Your subconcious mind, wanting to lose, made you make tactical decisions that sabotaged any chance you had of winning the match?

:eek::):D

Archived