Random Drubbings

Just wondering how in gods name to explain the seemingly inexplicable results that actually occur in this game currently.

One of my increasing frustrations in the game, which I personally find very difficult, is no matter how good your squad is... challenging for a title is as much down to sheer luck as anything else. Your seasons challenge can be ended at random.

I beat At. Madrid soundly in the Spanish Cup final at the end of last season. I then easily disposed of them in the Super Cup immediately prior to my meeting with them on the first day of the season.

The season begins, squad in great morale and raring to go. Suddenly I find that bang...

random1z.jpg

A very equal game has gone down the pan as every swipe at goal from At. Madrid has just creamed into the top corner. Not to worry, its just one game...

The season continues. I destroy Liverpool away in Europe, Demolish Almeria 7-0 away from home and rattle 3 past Barcelona for a solid win. Enter newly promoted Las Palmas...

random2.jpg

I can understand games where teams earn scrappy draws and wins against the run of play. I can understand games when I dont put away my chances and I get punished for it. When I get absolutely dismantled by a side that quite frankly wouldnt get a player into my B team, I question quite what in heavens name is going on.

In real life Man Utd went away to Burnley, didn't really show up and paid the price for it. They didn't get ripped apart by a Steven Fletcher hattrick inside 30 minutes...

Give that there is almost always 1 or 2 AI clubs that set an EXTREMELY stong pace (I think I went 17 or 18 games unbeaten last season including a 10 game win streak and didnt actually gain any points on said team till the 14th game roughly) is it actually possible to win the league on a consistent basis given that this utterly random display of buggery seems to occur 2 or 3 times a season without fail. Its not a rare thing as some would have you believe. (Its probably exacerbated by the pretty average match engine at the moment - the FML one is significantly better, long shots arent screwed beyond belief and you dont need Cristiano Ronaldo on speed to finish a 1v1. I'd rather my striker scrapped the 1v1, let defenders catch up, took it to 35 yards and unloaded it if Im honest... but thats another issue)

(Apologies for high res of pictures - tried scaling them down a bit but text size suffered too much if I did further)

A fairly balanced counter attacking 4-4-2. I ordinarily have the strongest defensive record in the league, averaging about 0.5 goals per game conceded for the first half of the season in which I won (Played:38, For:80, Against:29 in the end). In neither game did I end up getting hopelessly over exposed or throwing any more men forward than I would normally do. They just kept slogging it at my goal and scoring without fail.

Over confidence is a horrible thing - it sometimes seems easier to win the league with a team of average players and a couple of stars than an entire team of world beaters who go on the rampage against title contenders and then collapse against relegation fodder.

It dosent help the blood pressure when the match engine depicts your teams over confidence as continually passing to a team mates heels so that it bounces off to start a counter attck and that the opposition midfielders with 7 long shots are suddenly able to find the corner of the net from 30 yards out with alarming regularity.

As to whether you can still win after a bad start - yes you can, I have had seasons where we have overhauled a 20 point deficit after Xmas. All it needs is a bit of consistency from you and a bit a bad luck for the ai team and they can go from unstoppable into a complete meltdown

Got a 4 point lead at the midway point in the season now. Havent lost bar the two mentioned games ... the issue now seems to be that most the AI teams are pretty bloody awful. Same old FM really - the big teams don't manage their squads at all. Rely on expensive ageing stars till they are no longer any good but contracted for years on £150k+ wages...

Can probably get away with these kind of results now as I dont see any of the AI squads managing to put together a run of form like they have in the past. In 2019 no AI managed squads are good enough.

Archived