I know money can't buy you everything....

Neji

..but I can't help but think there is something a bit wrong here.

I've been watching an 18 year old for 6 months, he's a defender with great attributes. When I first spotted him, I was at Scunthorpe in the PL. Unfortunately, I couldn't really offer him high wages. The most I could offer was something around 25k.

I've just moved jobs, to Inter who aren't quite the team they are IRL. However, I have a massive wage budget and pretty big transfer budget. The player in question moved to his new club in the summer. He is being paid £3,100 p/w.

So, I go in, happily offering £5.5m. The offer is accepted but he doesn't want to move because he only just joined his new club. With no real intention of paying it, I offered him the following deal.

Squad Status - Key Player

Wage - £150,000 p/w

Signing On Fee - £7.5m

Appearance Bonus - £29.5k

Goal Bonus - £29.5k

Yearly Wage Rise - 25%

He snubbed the move because he only just joined his new club.

Anyone else not think that's a bit off?

..but I can't help but think there is something a bit wrong here.

I've been watching an 18 year old for 6 months, he's a defender with great attributes. When I first spotted him, I was at Scunthorpe in the PL. Unfortunately, I couldn't really offer him high wages. The most I could offer was something around 25k.

I've just moved jobs, to Inter who aren't quite the team they are IRL. However, I have a massive wage budget and pretty big transfer budget. The player in question moved to his new club in the summer. He is being paid £3,100 p/w.

So, I go in, happily offering £5.5m. The offer is accepted but he doesn't want to move because he only just joined his new club. With no real intention of paying it, I offered him the following deal.

Squad Status - Key Player

Wage - £150,000 p/w

Signing On Fee - £7.5m

Appearance Bonus - £29.5k

Goal Bonus - £29.5k

Yearly Wage Rise - 25%

He snubbed the move because he only just joined his new club.

Anyone else not think that's a bit off?

I too have tried this before, but offering a MASSIVE £250k per week! I have done it with numerous players just to see if they would accept, usually after offering £30k, £40k, etc, per week with them rejecting it.

I think it's ridiculous, in real-life if you offered a player currently earning £5k per week, 99% of players would move to almost ANY club offering £250k per week.

I think there are a number of players who are satisfied with waht they earn and hold prefernece of playing regularly. Obviously some of these situationas are extreme like offering £150K per week for someone whos only earining £3.1K.

But look at some players like Schwarzer and Kalac, both were great GKs for Australia but Schwarzer always chose to play for smaller clubs than bigger team for less money so that he would play regularly whilst Kalac moved to A.C. Milan and spent many years on the bench. In the end Kalac will probably be richer but Schwarzer managed to become Australia's #1 choice all the time because he was always playing more.

But in light of all that there are certainly extreme circumstances that should be looked at.

I too have tried this before, but offering a MASSIVE £250k per week! I have done it with numerous players just to see if they would accept, usually after offering £30k, £40k, etc, per week with them rejecting it.

I think it's ridiculous, in real-life if you offered a player currently earning £5k per week, 99% of players would move to almost ANY club offering £250k per week.

In terms of realism, I find it even more ridiculous that a club would offer a player £250k/w (assuming that we are talking present time and not decades into the future).

I think there are a number of players who are satisfied with waht they earn and hold prefernece of playing regularly. Obviously some of these situationas are extreme like offering £150K per week for someone whos only earining £3.1K.

But look at some players like Schwarzer and Kalac, both were great GKs for Australia but Schwarzer always chose to play for smaller clubs than bigger team for less money so that he would play regularly whilst Kalac moved to A.C. Milan and spent many years on the bench. In the end Kalac will probably be richer but Schwarzer managed to become Australia's #1 choice all the time because he was always playing more.

But in light of all that there are certainly extreme circumstances that should be looked at.

You make a fair point but I offered him Key Player as status. That is obviously a guarantee that I would be playing him a lot., and he is good enough to slot straight into my first 11 - even at 18.

There's probably a mechanism in place to make players refuse a move less than 6 months after moving clubs.

I know there is a mechanism that makes you have to pay a higher transfer fee in this situation, but I've signed players who have recently moved before so it still doesn't make sense.

In terms of realism, I find it even more ridiculous that a club would offer a player £250k/w (assuming that we are talking present time and not decades into the future).

Well I was seven seasons in and had over three hundred million in the bank.

I tried it with a few players, on key status and couldn't get them to sign - I wouldn't have actually signed them anyway on that much cash, I was just testing the game.

Archived