Is the training in need of a major overhaul?

As the title says, do you think the training is in need of a complete overhaul?

I've long been a critic of the current system. I find the whole concept of using sliders to communicate to my players how to train as laughable. I've mentioned in many many threads my feelings on training and often said how I would like it changed, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

If you feel the current system could do with changing, how would/could it be done to make it better and more engrossing?

In the current guise I quickly set up schedules for GK, FB, CB, CM, AM, WF, ST and TM - then I assign these schedules to players in my team who I feel fall into the positional criteria. Then I never bother with it again. That's not right, surely? I want to become completely involved in training and spend loads of time there but in it's current state there is simply no need. I want to be able to train players and mould them EXACTLY how I wish; I want to look at a particular player and, if needs be, work solely on his passing. Or crossing, or anything else I so desire. Instead I am forced to work on a whole lot of attributes at once, even if I don't want to.....

I'm going off on a waffle here, I better stop :D

Thoughts/ideas?.....

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh - I agree mate. This, interaction and team-talks all need overhauls/revamps or whatever you want to call it IMO. Training is something which is very important IRL in the development and preparation side of things and this definitely needs impmenting into FM11.

Well I'm not entirely sure what would be a good idea, but wasnt there something like pre-set drills and activities in FM 05/ CM 03-04 that seemed simple enough, had variation and would concentrate on certain things. Maybe something like that (but obviously not exactly the same) would be good. I've also thought a wizard like the tactics would be very good and suitable for the training also. However, as its been pointed out I hope if new training is implemented, then the AI can take advantage of it as well as the human player can otherwise it could be a disaster- therefore overcomplicating it is not a good idea either.

I don't know...

To be honest I wouldn't want to deal with the "diet-style" training schedule.

Sure, being able to choose Morning and Afternoon training between like 15 different activities for 20+ players would be more accurate and realistic, but it would also be a chore, and surely the most time consuming (and least entertaining?) activity of the whole game.

And in the end, it's just a "cosmetic overhaul" to something that the game does and will do calculate "on its own".

Actually the schedules work rather fine IMO... We are not "forced" to never look at them, and there is no guarantee our talented midfielder will develop into a worldclass playmaker just as we keep him on the same MC schedule from age 17 to age 27.

It's indeed a viable thing "leaving it at that" while the game engine takes care of it, but I'll eat my hat if a more "fussy" schedule-switching and a tailor-made training regime will not get better results...

So, no... I think schedules are "lazy" just because we prefer to have them that way :)

Yeah I couold not agree more with Aja. Wether its FM11 or 12 I think SI will look to re-vamp it somehow. The general consensus for the new tactics creator seems to be very positive so I would go along the lines with the new tactics creator and apply it to training as it best fits. Yeah the sliders are boaring and mundane and have little imagination - and need a bit of flair!!!

So without complicating things too much as I know from training threads a few months back did not want FM to become too micro and too demanding regarding training. So similar to the new tactics creator would be a good idea for me. Just to give you more control of the training generally and more control over specific players in a bit more detail. :)

Well I'm not entirely sure what would be a good idea, but wasnt there something like pre-set drills and activities in FM 05

Yeah I recently loaded up FM05 for a look at it. It had pre-set drills and what not. I'd like something like that but would be great if the results were more specific and not so generic, I want to see exactly what each drill and schedule is improving, and what changes affected what attributes.

It needs the attributes linked better, at the very least. At the moment, if I want to improve a player's crossing, I don't make the "attacking" training higher, I make the "set pieces" training higher. Why should I have to make the set pieces training higher? I don't want my player to work on his long throws or direct free kicks if he's never going to take any.

Thierry Henry used to be a left midfielder,but the he joined the arsenal and,wenger started using him as a striker,trained him that way,taught him how he should play there,or kolo toure was a right winger iirc,then again he turned him into a center back

What im trying to say is,we can only improve a players attributes in the game, i wanna completely change that,alter their attributes and change the way they play.Make them fit to my system

Ofcourse some of their attributes can never change but some of them should be completely changeable

It is sure is a difficult one, as in, where do you find the balance to please the masses. Slider or the old style.

On one hand, I think it was FM '05 the training sessions I was unable to grasp, and always hurt my players in the process. They were either injured or knackered. I liked the idea of choosing what I felt was appropriate in these sessions, but these really, really back fired.... Badly. I thought I knew what I was training players to do, but I never did, ever.

However, on the other hand, being completeley useless with 'Older' style of training I some how grasped the the training aspects of the game, using sliders. It's very bizzare. My training scheduals. Have just well got better.

It's just the translation of the game options, sliders, menu choices available. But it's how 'I' interperect them, I agree on the over-haul.... But how would you interperet changes in the game mechanics. In your mind/

As in would like to be as lost as I was in the FM '05 styles of 5-a-side football, cross country running etc, etc. Or would you like sliders, I would prefer a balance of the two.

Thierry Henry used to be a left midfielder,but the he joined the arsenal and,wenger started using him as a striker,trained him that way,taught him how he should play there,or kolo toure was a right winger iirc,then again he turned him into a center back

What im trying to say is,we can only improve a players attributes in the game, i wanna completely change that,alter their attributes and change the way they play.Make them fit to my system

Ofcourse some of their attributes can never change but some of them should be completely changeable

I'm fairly sure that by retraining a player's position, you alter the way his attributes are weighted, which will have an impact on the way he plays.

As you know from previous topics, I am in complete agreement with you.

As it happens, I've been spending the little free time I currently have, working upon a new Training Model; which I shall soon put forward for suggestion.

I'm away from home presently, but should have it finished and ready to share either late Saturday night or sometime Sunday. :)

don't really need to add to this post, so I'm just going to quote it:

I don't know...

Sure, being able to choose Morning and Afternoon training between like 15 different activities for 20+ players would be more accurate and realistic, but it would also be a chore, and surely the most time consuming (and least entertaining?) activity of the whole game.

And in the end, it's just a "cosmetic overhaul" to something that the game does and will do calculate "on its own".

Actually the schedules work rather fine IMO... We are not "forced" to never look at them, and there is no guarantee our talented midfielder will develop into a worldclass playmaker just as we keep him on the same MC schedule from age 17 to age 27.

It's indeed a viable thing "leaving it at that" while the game engine takes care of it, but I'll eat my hat if a more "fussy" schedule-switching and a tailor-made training regime will not get better results...

So, no... I think schedules are "lazy" just because we prefer to have them that way :)

As you know from previous topics, I am in complete agreement with you.

As it happens, I've been spending the little free time I currently have, working upon a new Training Model; which I shall soon put forward for suggestion.

I'm away from home presently, but should have it finished and ready to share either late Saturday night or sometime Sunday. :)

Nice on Bennico look forward to seeing it mate! :)

I don't know...

Yeah I agree with you to a point. I just want to be able to look at a player and say (for example) "He's a RWF, but his dribbling and crossing are too low. I'd like to improve those attributes most of all. I'd also like to work on his stamina...."

Then I'd like to be able to devise a schedule of sorts that will train this player exactly as I want him to be trained. Train him in crossing but, as Kain mentioned, I want to neglect his long throw attribute and such because I feel those are unimportant to him.

Just a basic example but you get the idea - I'd like it to be more intuitive/specific.

The thing I want in training is to be more precise with the slider system (or another way of telling my coaches what attributes to increase). I'm not a fan of the old style of picking 5-a-sides and whatnot, in fact I never actually used that training and just left it to my A.Manager. It was only when the slider system came into play that I got involved in the training and I enjoy it.

However, rather than saying that I want a player to improve Aerobic or Ball Control (for example), I really want to be able to tell my coaches exactly what type of growth I want to focus on. If someone is high in all areas of Ball control bar first touch (that is once he has control of the ball he is great but he has issues capturing it) then I want him to be able to focus on first touch more than anything else. Of course by training on his first touch the other areas will still grow but they won't have the focus of the first touch.

The way this could work is that each of the seven areas has a general training level (like what we have at the bottom of the screen) but also sub sliders for each individual area of said training. It might be difficult graphics wise but that would be the best way for me, personally, to improve the training areas.

Bestie.

would love to see training /tactics where you can actually show the players on the pitch(like a coaching board )exactly where you want them to -

make runs

attack the ball

pass the ball into

aim corners

aim throw ins etc etc:D

also little things like if the player you are marking comes past this point mark him tightly/close him down :thup:

and carry out traning exercises using the 3d match engine so you practise corners/free kicks/pens etc etc;)

I would really love the option to be able to change set piece takers real time .......so if you get a pen a prompt comes up asking if you want to stick with origanal or change

I don't really dabble too much with training those days.

I do have a generic pre-season scheddule, late preseason position specific, position specific and fixture congestion position specific.

What I'd like to see though, would be an option to set positional training and then speak to the fitness coaches and tell them when I would want my two seasonal form peaks to be.

That'd imply taking out the strength and aerobic sliders and sub them with this 'wanted fitness peak period'.

To take a RL example, last season Barcelona had their form peaks in early November and late-April. This season Guardiola has aimed for early December and early May.

That'd be really ace and more realistic than what we have right now IMHO.

Of course the other sliders could also go, but I cannot think of a way to make it realistic and not a chore for the player.

The first thing that needs to change in training is the fundamental root of intensity/time. We should assume a fixed amount of time available to be filled. We then define the intensity at which we want them to train. Both these things can easily be controlled by sliders, and that gives us an immediate weekly interaction whereby we adjust these things on the basis of time of year, what the week golds etc. I'd have a little message pop-up on the main screen allowing us to easily look at this each week.

After that, it becomes about balancing out the core areas of football training: Physical, Technical, "Gameplay".

So at the most basic level of control, it's again a slider issue between the three. And it should therefore be linked to tactics. If you play a technique-heavy system, but mainly train physically, your players will not be performing as well.

But there should be a more advanced level of control where you define exactly what individuals are doing.

Of all the groupings in FM, it's the "Set Pieces" one that drives me insane. We should be able to set each of those things individually.

After that, I still think there is merit in the groupings in most cases. "Finishing" is pretty logical, and should work on all attributes relating to this area.

Ideally I'd like tactics and training to be linked, so you can train your team in up to five systems, and that will increase their comfort in that system. I'd also, long-term, like to see a proper set-piece creator brought in, and this also to be an aspect of tactics.

Personally, I already see training as a chore. Adding even more options to fine-tune the training just turns me off.

Maybe a way around this is to have an option in the Team Settings for "Assistant Manager deals with Training" tickbox in the same way that the Assistant can deal with friendlies, so that people who want to micro-manage their training schedules can do so and those who don't can delegate the task to their backroom staff.

Hey Dave, great to see you back and sharp as ever. Can we expect regular analysis and well-thought out proposals again?

Nope. Just passing and it's my pet subject. In the old days, I'd have written a thousand words on the subject.

It definately needs at the very least more sliders, and add in a few default positional training programs for those that don't want to mess around with it.

The biggest problem with the current system is the grouping of some of the attributes. Though it does have the advantage of being fairly clear, unlike FM05, and not that time consuming. I have actually this year tried individual programs for some youngsters, but it hardly seems to make any difference, as my intense tactical training didn't make my Strikers much better at attacking but much better at defending. Training has become more important as you can't go out and buy 20 youngsters on the cheap with a pitiful wage, so you have to make better use of those you can afford.

Here lies the problem, how do you make training more interesting and useful without making it too involved? I want the training more detailed and interesting but I don't want to have to visit the training screen every week/month to tweak things. I don't really want my assistant to deal with it, as he is a complete imbecile a lot of the time especially with training PPMs.

Yeah I agree with you to a point. I just want to be able to look at a player and say (for example) "He's a RWF, but his dribbling and crossing are too low. I'd like to improve those attributes most of all. I'd also like to work on his stamina...."

Then I'd like to be able to devise a schedule of sorts that will train this player exactly as I want him to be trained. Train him in crossing but, as Kain mentioned, I want to neglect his long throw attribute and such because I feel those are unimportant to him.

Just a basic example but you get the idea - I'd like it to be more intuitive/specific.

I agree with that.

I've always found the Training Areas a bit too "vague", or sometimes lumbered with not-so-necessary additions.

As said, I might want to have my AMC fine-tuning his freekick skills without risking to waste valuable CA points on Long Throws or Corners.

But on the other hand, I suppose there is (should be?) an hidden weighing of what is more important/likely to get raised and what is secondary.

A more precise training system is ok, as long as it doesn't turn into obsessive-compulsive micromanagement.

Sliders and "personal trainer schedule" will ultimately lead to the same result, just the latter will require much more dedication and will be even LESS user-friendly and intuitive than the former.

Should I book a session of Pig in the Middle or Short Sprints on Tuesday morning? Is Tactical Training okay for Saturday morning? Urgh.... I'll keep the sliders, thank you :)

At least with sliders you can kinda guess what to expect: Shooting=High, your striker will mostly train on shooting...

Good luck trying to understand how to "replicate" the same effect (while keeping it balanced) by having to book daily activieties.

I don't think making things more in-depth is always a good thing, especially if "more realism" leads to unnecessary overcomplication

A Training Wizard in the same vein of the Tactical Manager would work just fine.

No.

FM is already a superhardcore game. If you want to have new players, instead of pandering to the same 10-year playing veterans year by year, you need to think in wider ways than just 'more realism, more realism, more realism'. Realism ftw, but not at any cost. This is still a game. Or at least a simulation with some fun stuff attached.

No.

FM is already a superhardcore game. If you want to have new players, instead of pandering to the same 10-year playing veterans year by year, you need to think in wider ways than just 'more realism, more realism, more realism'. Realism ftw, but not at any cost. This is still a game. Or at least a simulation with some fun stuff attached.

Training can/should be made to be fun too :thup:

Moving slightly a tangent here here but linked to training is PPM's. What is the point to them if 75% of the time the chosen players refuses to adapt his game. IRL if the manager suggested to a player to learn a certain move then they would do their best to try and achieve this and not say does not see the point! :)

I would like to see a return to the scheduled training but with a couple of changes.

Firstly I'd like the option to add in specific role/postion training, so that you could do team training in the morning and then specific position/role training in the afternoon for example.

Also, I think a workload bar should be included to see what workload is actually applied to the players as obviously weights room is more strenuous then penalty taking.

ALso I agree that you should be able to train players on your spefic created tactics, and should have the option of up to 5 of these to train on.

I also think that training (similar to tactics) should have the "use classic" option for people who prefer the current setup.

Just to say - FM05 was a really poor way of doing it. I liked to rest my players from training the day after a match, but this would mean most weeks your players wouldn't train on a wednesday! Meaning the players would almost never get to do that specific part of training.

In terms of the amount you have to do with training I like the way it is at the minute. I think less is more. I don't want to have to spend time every week, month or even season changing things. Setting up training schedules bores me as it is, I like to just do it once and never bother with it again, it's boring.

Perhaps the training could be changed, but going back to the way FM05 did it would be a massive stepback.

I would much rather SI stayed with what we have in place than rushed out a new training system for FM2011 that could be annoying.

Either way, I just want it simple and quick, and to not require my attention after doing it once.

One thing I'd really like to see would be the ability to 'system train' - build a tactic, then add it into the training schedule so at a given time the lads would play a practice match using the new tactical system. This, rather than relying on learning it in a competitive match where you're screwed if it goes wrong. You could train it as often as you see fit until the coaches report back that the players are now getting comfortable playing the new system - then you could deploy it in a 'real' match.

One thing I'd really like to see would be the ability to 'system train' - build a tactic, then add it into the training schedule so at a given time the lads would play a practice match using the new tactical system. This, rather than relying on learning it in a competitive match where you're screwed if it goes wrong. You could train it as often as you see fit until the coaches report back that the players are now getting comfortable playing the new system - then you could deploy it in a 'real' match.

I think that is a fantastic suggestion :thup:

YES, YES and again a big YES !!!

the training system now is in 1 word STUPID, it is like lotto;

there are no explanations why (with excellent coaches) young players (with even PA 190+) do NOT improve

and why same players improve a LOT with very poor coaches ??????!!!!!!!!!!

this is the coding side of the game of course

on the other side: setting up traing schedules etc are of course also very basic and weird !!!

The first thing that needs to change in training is the fundamental root of intensity/time. We should assume a fixed amount of time available to be filled. We then define the intensity at which we want them to train. Both these things can easily be controlled by sliders, and that gives us an immediate weekly interaction whereby we adjust these things on the basis of time of year, what the week golds etc. I'd have a little message pop-up on the main screen allowing us to easily look at this each week.

After that, it becomes about balancing out the core areas of football training: Physical, Technical, "Gameplay".

So at the most basic level of control, it's again a slider issue between the three. And it should therefore be linked to tactics. If you play a technique-heavy system, but mainly train physically, your players will not be performing as well.

But there should be a more advanced level of control where you define exactly what individuals are doing.

Of all the groupings in FM, it's the "Set Pieces" one that drives me insane. We should be able to set each of those things individually.

After that, I still think there is merit in the groupings in most cases. "Finishing" is pretty logical, and should work on all attributes relating to this area.

Ideally I'd like tactics and training to be linked, so you can train your team in up to five systems, and that will increase their comfort in that system. I'd also, long-term, like to see a proper set-piece creator brought in, and this also to be an aspect of tactics.

this this...

..and of course having the chance to let assistent do it for you ;)

• 1 month later...
I'm sure SI are aware that they haven't really done anything with training for 5 years and it's long overdue for a complete overhaul. They've had other priorities in the last few years, but surely training has risen to the top by now.

I don't think the underlying system needs an overhaul, but the explanation of required information definately does.

The current system allows you target a specific set of Attributes that are grouped into logical Categories. It then allows you to define precisely how much attention you wish to give one over another for development.

The fundamental system is infinately superior to the previous, where neither attributes being Trained nor the relative intensity of Training for those attributes was ever explained.

That is where the excellence ends. The system is brilliant because it's function is robust and clear and decisive while maintaining immersion through highly cunning modifiers, once understood. Everything necessary to understand Training however is either absent from the game without testing or appears on the screen for 2 seconds during fixture processing.

The problem with the Training system is the problem with FM. The complete lack of necessary information outside of Trial and Error. The system is brilliant from the opinion of someone that is finally coming close to understanding it in absolute detail from precise attribute weights to the age function upon Categories to the impact of Coach attributes etc. but God forbid any newcomer attempts to design his own schedules, or wishes to grasp the basic principles.

Training has been a particular passion of mine since I joined this community and it has taken me over a year to understand how simple, effective, immersive, cunning and brilliant this area of the game is. This is obviously not acceptable to everyone else, even though it has kept me occupied.

If it wasn't so brilliantly designed I would not bother with it. The knowledge of what it offers to the gamer in terms of immersion, depth, interest and end result is what has kept me interested in understanding it.

In all honesty it would a tragedy if the current system was swapped for something like the previous system, but SI would only have themselves to blame. Very few people understand how this brilliant piece of functional and immersive gameplay works. Even though the basic principles are as simple as all hell.

That is one of the bamboozling issues with Training. It is not actually all that complex and is rather simple once understood. SI obviously do not provide anything near the required information in the right context, but at the same time the userbase does not have to do much to figure this stuff out. There are only really three key pieces of information absent from the game and community, the exact weight of attributes, the exact impact of age, and the exact function of a single slider notch. These do not need to be known in detail, and probably should not be known in detail for a realistic game.

Is it an SI issue or a player issue? I can sympathise with the average user with regards to information but at the same time so few users even try. Many on these forums would rather spend their time ranting than reading. If they bothered reading rather than ranting they might obtain a clue.

I liked the training system on the older CM's i.e. 5-a-side match, Piggy-In-The-Middle and you just had to drag and drop a routine for the week and what you wanted your players to work on. This was a good feature in the older CM's, maybe something like this would be better than using sliders.

I liked the training system on the older CM's i.e. 5-a-side match, Piggy-In-The-Middle and you just had to drag and drop a routine for the week and what you wanted your players to work on. This was a good feature in the older CM's, maybe something like this would be better than using sliders.

What did 5-a-side do?

What did 5-a-side do?

Trained players on their first touch and passing and some others, i forget it was that long ago but everything was simple and by selecting these routines you would get an idea of how the areas you were selecting your player to develop in.

Here is an example from an old FAQ:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><[46]><>

B.01.1: Training Graph

This table merely reproduces the little graph in the game's training

screen. The + and - merely states the increase or decrease in the little

graph. It is a rough estimation. If the particular regime has more than

one +, it simply means that there is a greater proportion of increase

in the graph vis-a-vis the other abilities. The base I use is an 'empty'

schedule, meaning a rest regime for every slot.

KEY:

Men = Mental

Phy = Physical

Goa = Goalkeeping

Def = Defensive

Att = Attacking

Ovr = Overall

Rest

-------------------------------------------------------------

Type | Men | Phy | Goa | Def | Att | Ovr |

5-a-side (large pitch) | + | + | + | + | | + |

5 a side (small Pitch) | + | | + | + | | + |

cross country | | + | | | | + |

crosses | | - | ++ | | + | + |

overloading (attacking) | ++ | | | ++ | + | + |

Overloading (defensive) | +++ | | ++ | +++ | + | + |

Penalties | | | ++ | | + | + |

Pig in the middle | + | + | | + | + | + |

Set pieces (attacking) | ++ | - | + | ++ | + | + |

Set pieces (defensive) | + | | | + | + | + |

Sprints | | + | | | | + |

Tactical Training | ++ | - | | + | | + |

Technique | | | ++ | | + | + |

Training Match | | + | | | | + |

Weight Training | | + | | | | + |

Outfield | Men | Phy | Goa | Def | Att | Ovr |

Agility | | | | | | + |

Closing-Down Session | + | + | | + | | + |

Heading | | + | | + | + | + |

Shadow Play | + | | | + | | + |

Shooting | | | | | + | + |

Goalkeepers | Men | Phy | Goa | Def | Att | Ovr |

Agility (GK) | | | ++ | | + | + |

Distribution | | | ++ | + | | + |

Handling | | | ++ | | + | + |

Shot Stopping | | | ++ | | + | + |

i certainly think that training needs an overhaul but I dont want to deal with the training every day, this is a management game and not a coaching game. Therefore I would like to see some interaction with the coaches whereby you could tell them to train such and such in a given position and to concentrate on running, tackling, shooting or passing. More dynamic than its current system and less having to implement a schedule since that is the role of the coach and in most clubs you have enough coaches who seem to just be superficial since its almost impossible to interact with them, you can only accept their responses or reject them, I would like to tell them stuff and have them react or not. Also why are the chairman and directors greyed out? I want to be able to talk to my managing director, I want him to suggest something, a training exercise or a player to purchase, I want to say to him, we need faster wingers or younger defenders or whatever. Training is all part of this or should be and that is what I feel needs improving. Ironically all of this was there in previous FM/CMs, for some unknown reason it all disappeared.

Archived