Buying a laptop - advice please

Hi all im thinking of buying this laptop after work, firstly is it a decent deal and secondly will it run fm10 ok?

I will only want to watch the games in 2D as i hate the 3D

this is the spec, any input would be appreciated, thanks

Brand SAMSUNG

Screen size 15 inches

Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core

Intel Processor Star Rating Intel 2 star processor

Processor model number T4200

Ultra Low Voltage processor tbc

Processor speed 2 GHz

Processor bus 800 MHz

Processor cache 1 MB

Memory (RAM) 4 GB

Storage (hard drive) 250 GB

Storage (hard drive) Type SATA

Operating system Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows 7 Upgrade option available tbc

Application software Not included

Shared graphics Intel SMAX4500M

Dedicated graphics

Optical drive Plays & records CDs and DVDs

Plays Blu-ray DVDs

Lightscribe technology

S-Video output

VGA output

HDMI output

Wireless networking standard 802.11b/g

Gigabit LAN

Finger print reader

USB 2.0 slots 3

Firewire

Media card slots 3-in-1

Built-in bluetooth

Built-in webcam

Built-in TV Tuner

Speakers Standard

Battery life Up to 3 hours

Laptop weight (kg) 2.56 kg

Premier Collection

Supports Double layer & Dual Format +/- recording

Wired networking

17 / 0.7watts :in use/powered-down power consumption

The advantage here is the graphics chip, it takes some load off compared to integrated graphics.

FM 2D doesnt need all the power of a good one but by simply having one it will make a difference.

I still belive the main gaming machine should be a desktop, laptops are only for when you want to play FM at the dinner table or on a train etc etc

Actually, I would prefer a laptop compared to a desktop not just because 'i want to play FM at the dinner table or on a train'. Desktops overall are generally much powerful BUT you can get laptops that are 'capable' of running most games that Desktops can (if not all games). You can pick up very good gaming laptops for just over £1000.

The main things needed to run a 'fast-er' database:

RAM - should be more than 2GB but 4GB is good

Processor - over 2Ghz

Graphics - ideally has to be independent (not intregrated graphics) as this will also increase performance instead of intregrated.

A decent sized hard drive - especially if you plan on running very long saves.

Actually, I would prefer a laptop compared to a desktop not just because 'i want to play FM at the dinner table or on a train'. Desktops overall are generally much powerful BUT you can get laptops that are 'capable' of running most games that Desktops can (if not all games). You can pick up very good gaming laptops for just over £1000.

The main things needed to run a 'fast-er' database:

RAM - should be more than 2GB but 4GB is good

Processor - over 2Ghz

Graphics - ideally has to be independent (not intregrated graphics) as this will also increase performance instead of intregrated.

A decent sized hard drive - especially if you plan on running very long saves.

and in a desktop terms £500 would do the same as what a £1000 laptop would do :) i know what id rather have

Hi all im thinking of buying this laptop after work, firstly is it a decent deal and secondly will it run fm10 ok?

I will only want to watch the games in 2D as i hate the 3D

this is the spec, any input would be appreciated, thanks

Brand SAMSUNG

Screen size 15 inches

Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core

Intel Processor Star Rating Intel 2 star processor

Processor model number T4200

Ultra Low Voltage processor tbc

Processor speed 2 GHz

Processor bus 800 MHz

Processor cache 1 MB

Memory (RAM) 4 GB

Storage (hard drive) 250 GB

Storage (hard drive) Type SATA

Operating system Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows 7 Upgrade option available tbc

Application software Not included

Shared graphics Intel SMAX4500M

Dedicated graphics

Optical drive Plays & records CDs and DVDs

Plays Blu-ray DVDs

Lightscribe technology

S-Video output

VGA output

HDMI output

Wireless networking standard 802.11b/g

Gigabit LAN

Finger print reader

USB 2.0 slots 3

Firewire

Media card slots 3-in-1

Built-in bluetooth

Built-in webcam

Built-in TV Tuner

Speakers Standard

Battery life Up to 3 hours

Laptop weight (kg) 2.56 kg

Premier Collection

Supports Double layer & Dual Format +/- recording

Wired networking

17 / 0.7watts :in use/powered-down power consumption

This is a more than adequate laptop to run football manager, if for the three millionth time, if you are in any doubt, nip into your local game or check the back of your FM box, and check the minimum and reccomended spec.

The amount of threads started by people buying PC's or Laptops that don't know the capabilities of what their buying is unbelievable, i mean you wouldn't buy a Reliant Robin expecting to compete at Silverstone. One Word >>>>>RESEARCH.

The advantage here is the graphics chip, it takes some load off compared to integrated graphics.

FM 2D doesnt need all the power of a good one but by simply having one it will make a difference.

I still belive the main gaming machine should be a desktop, laptops are only for when you want to play FM at the dinner table or on a train etc etc

Im curently playing fm10 on a high standard laptop and have no problems, infact it performs very well, however you are right a gaming machine should be a desktop they dont seem to heat up as much, plus you get a lot more spec for your cash and desktops are easier to upgrade.

This is a more than adequate laptop to run football manager, if for the three millionth time, if you are in any doubt, nip into your local game or check the back of your FM box, and check the minimum and reccomended spec.

The amount of threads started by people buying PC's or Laptops that don't know the capabilities of what their buying is unbelievable, i mean you wouldn't buy a Reliant Robin expecting to compete at Silverstone. One Word >>>>>RESEARCH.

In fairness, people just want to be as sure as they can when making the decision. Not everyone is computer literate and a laptop or desktop is a HUGE investment for some people.

I would recommend a laptop with:

a Core 2 Duo processor of at least 2 Ghz,

at least 4 GB ram

as large a harddrive as you can find and preferably 7200 rpm

a seperate graphics card

Windows 7

Something like this http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_5738G_Laptop_LX.PEX02.045/version.asp

Or this: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ASUS_K50IN-SX149V_Windows_7_Laptop_K50IN-SX149V/version.asp

So who does play FM at the dinner table? I cannot because I only have a desktop in my study... Also I do not think my wife would let me :)

I have not attempted this yet - but I have only had a laptop for a week or so ;)

I suspect my wife would retaliate by bringing HER laptop to the table as well!

So who does play FM at the dinner table? I cannot because I only have a desktop in my study... Also I do not think my wife would let me :)
I have not attempted this yet - but I have only had a laptop for a week or so ;)

I suspect my wife would retaliate by bringing HER laptop to the table as well!

I suspect that marriages aforementioned, will last six months more in conjuction with this sort of set-up. There is time for FM and online shopping and time for Marital Interaction.

PS this is wrong also, if you ever wish children.

Best of luck, and if you attempt it and it works, then explained scenario is doomsday.....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived