1on1s can you score?

i have a tactic where my strikers run 20 yards behind the defence and get to the goalkeeper where the only thing they do is shoot at him, i score hardly any goals at all. Any sugestions? i am talking about the greatest stikers in the world here.... i am trying to train them to "go around keeper" and "place shots" to see if it helps but i am losing hope and its so frustrating as it looks so unreal...

please help :(

I haven't found this in my game, though I have only managed at a lower level so when my strikers screw something up I assume its because they're practically amateurs. I imagine if your strikers have low composure it might have something to do with it. There's no 1 on 1 stat for strikers so theres no way to tell if one is better at one on ones than another.

I believe official statistic mentioned here last year is something like strikers score in 30% of cases or even less from 1 on 1's, not sure exactly.

But i would need to dig through forum to find that specific post.

That number sounds about right I think.. it would be interesting to know what individual statistics are like. I can imagine someone like Fernando Torres scores more than 30% of his one on ones, while a Blue Square striker micht score less. But on the other hand I guess you could say that Blue Square goalies are poorer too so that might even things out.

That number sounds about right I think.. it would be interesting to know what individual statistics are like. I can imagine someone like Fernando Torres scores more than 30% of his one on ones, while a Blue Square striker micht score less. But on the other hand I guess you could say that Blue Square goalies are poorer too so that might even things out.

I was talking about numbers in EPL only. I don't think that engine can differentiate percentages per each league yet.So percentages used in game would be universal( and strictly based on EPL stats in this case ).As for individual players , chance percentage does increase with certain stats being above average.

Said that you will have tendency to see someone like Torres scoring higher percentage then some average EPL player. But to expect for Torres(or someone like him) to score out of majority of situations would be still highly unrealistic. His percentage would be still at least bellow 50% , considering that he is facing some equally great goalies in his league(not saying that each one is great though).Not to mention that several other factors could and will effect chance percentage(angle of approach, how far is defender, goalies stats for 1 on 1 , pitch condition, player's conditions, current form etc..)

What i am seeing in FM 10 so far doesn't tend to drift away from what it should be, i scored roughly around that percentage and conceded around same one.Lot of people only see their guy standing in front of goalie and they expect certain goal, which is far away from reality.

Basic formula roughly would be something like(note more minuses then pluses here) : attacker's stats - goalies stats - lots of other factors involved / chance percentage = final result

The perception is the issue here.

We create so many one-v-one chances due to the problems with defending. The number that get scored (for me, anyway) are about realistic for the EPL, but the conversion % is way out.

Not sure how this is compensated for within the game - probably either an increase in the GK's one-on-one attribute effectiveness or a decrease in strikers' composure.

Either way, it's a statistical issue created by other weaknesses within the ME.

The vast majority are missed. Most goals are still scored via through balls (the 1on1s) and long shots though. The problem is probably that there are too many 1on1s. Less in quantity and a little more on quality would improve things.

im managing middlesbrough and when i started it seemed like aliadiere got loads of 1 on 1s because of his pace and off the ball but he hit every single one straight at the keeper. now in season 2 i have ivan obolo and jo nailing them in for fun. seems like some players just dont got it. (and aliadiere definately dont). i also believe (with no evidence to back this up) that confidence plays a BIG part in 1 on 1s as it does in real life.

I think people get frustrated more because the attacker seems to kick the ball straight at the keeper. If they slipped the ball past the goalkeeper and just missed, or it came off the post more often then there would be far less complaints.

It's actually quite interesting to go back through the games and compare them. I'm still playing 08 and 09, when 08 came out I thought 1 on 1's were woeful, then 09 came out and now I play 08 and see more 1 on 1's scored than missed, compared to 09. The same goes for 09, initially I thought they were really bad, but compared to 10, theya re pretty good.

i also believe (with no evidence to back this up) that confidence plays a BIG part in 1 on 1s as it does in real life.

I agree with this. I've noticed that my team will go on a good run of form, then a bad run of form. (Last night I almost smashed my disc as after winning 3 games in a row I went on a 9 match losing streak - turning into a 15 match winless streak before I quit the game).

The thing is that my general play - passing, possession, tackling - is pretty much constant regardless of whether we are on a good or bad run. The difference is the finishing and keeping. If you are on a bad run and a striker breaks through then you can pretty much guarantee he will blaze it over or hit it at the keeper. When on form players can score from pretty much any position within 30 yards of the goal.

Tactics, motivation, players used, and morale don't seem to play much part in this, and I can't work out what causes it.

i have a tactic where my strikers run 20 yards behind the defence and get to the goalkeeper where the only thing they do is shoot at him, i score hardly any goals at all. Any sugestions? i am talking about the greatest stikers in the world here.... i am trying to train them to "go around keeper" and "place shots" to see if it helps but i am losing hope and its so frustrating as it looks so unreal...

please help :(

My complaint would be that the shot through the keeper (through his legs) which is the common 1on1 scoring method in real life, rarely happens in FM10. It is almost essential to 'round the keeper to score, which is an imbalance, for me. Minor grumble though.

My complaint would be that the shot through the keeper (through his legs) which is the common 1on1 scoring method in real life, rarely happens in FM10. It is almost essential to 'round the keeper to score, which is an imbalance, for me. Minor grumble though.

I would completely disagree with that. I would say the way players score most goals in one-on-one situations in real-life is by slotting it past the keeper. I would even say more players attempt to round the keeper than try and slot it between his legs.

I think part of the problem is that the graphics aren't good enough to show all the details that make some 1on1 chances harder than others. In real life, you can see when the ball is bouncing a bit or gets caught under the striker's feet or whatever, but on the game, they all just look like a penalty kick.

Archived