has anybody had success with 3 centre backs

right i allways play my fave 3-4-1-2 formation if possible i onli play it if i have the correct players but this year whoever i put at the back seems to make no diffrence players are just running through my backline like its not there (not to mention a lot of ofsides that are never given) this is really frustrating me as its taking away my enjoyment of the game. Has any1 managed to have success with this or a similer formation on fm10 or am i making some glaringly obvious mistakes with my formation

How many games have you tried this over? It could be down to tactics or individual instructions.

I only ask becasue obviously its going to take time to gel to a new system.

I would have thought the same regarding a new system but I read a few days ago that changing from a 4-4-2 to a 3-5-1 makes no difference in terms of the team gelling- from a SI top gut I'm pretty sure that said this. And that it only takes time for a team to gel when their are a few new faces.

I would have thought the same as you simon regarding changing tactics but an SI employee has said differently. :)

im just coming into januarey in my 2nd season with tottenham have had corluka king and bassong as my centre backs the whole time other than injuries have made me change but i have woodgate and sakho to bring in so i dont think its about gelling it just seems to hard to play with 3 at the back

I was able to use a 3-2-2-1-2 effectively in the Swedish Allsvenskan with IFK Goteborg. I had 3 DCs, 2 DMs, 2 WMs, 1 AM and 2 ST. I think this also could have been because most of the teams seemed to take to a defensive style of play so they didn't try and overload my defense too much. I tried this in MLS with my Kansas City Wizards and got slaughtered because there is a great deal more attacking in MLS.

i've managed the following:

3 titles

2 fa cups

1 champions league

1 league cup

in 5 seasons (ok with liverpool) playing a sweeper, two centre backs, two wingbacks, a defensive midfielder, a couple of box to box midfielders and two strikers.

seems to limit the number of through balls and long shots but i am very reliant on my stikers for goals will post tactic is anyone wants it?

I'm doing very nicely with a 3-2-2-2-1 (officially 5-3-2) where I have 3 DCs and wing-backs. So long as 2 of the DCs are quick I find it works very well for me.

:thup: I was using that, but when I didn't have the DCs I moved one to DM and it's worked very well too. The wing-backs are key though.

I agree with wingbacks, essential with this formation, their stats need to be good for the situation too. I tried and failed with players who didnt have the best stats

Indeed. It's really hard to find quality wing-backs at any level. I pioneered this 5-3-2 system in FM09 with a super-team and that was the hardest position to fill. Now in FM10 I have a rubbish level 10 team and I was delighted to see the players I had to hand enabled me to go with 3 DCs and WBs again; however I have 1 WBL and 1 WBR (my captain and vice captain) and no chance whatsoever of getting viable back-ups.

Archived