Hull City are too rubbish!

Has anyone else started as Hull City and found it almost impossible to win?

I've won one and drawn one out of about 20 premier league games so far.

Bullard is rubbish and pretty much every player's average rating is abysmal.

I know it could be my tactics but I play 4-4-2 and set all the player instructions to the default settings with one or two tweaks from assistant feedback.

I used to be able to have go's on the old versions and do really well but it's just too difficult these days.

Do others agree? Or is it easy and I'm just rubbish? I'm obviously missing something if other people are able to survive comfortably in the 1st season.

One player I always buy is Ronaldo (the original) who is my best player but apart from that it's hard to find anyone affordable and worth getting.

I've just lost 4-1 at home to Wolves so something is obviously very wrong!

It is your tactics... :)

Sorry that is very over used around here, try my Lincs and Humber database for a good hull challenge, you have to sell to balance the books but win to get the money to keep the good players and do well in Europe!

How do you insert a picture from you desktop on here? When I click the attachments button it says I've uploaded the maximum of 6 files, which I haven't.

I was going to put in a screenshot of my tactics so people can see what's wrong with them.

Yeh possibly realistic, Hull had a good year last year, they have had a lot of good fortune this season (with exception of Bullard) and also IMO have a good manager.

It is hard to replicate Hulls two seasons in the premiership but I would not give up, if you can sort a good tactic out then you have a chance of more than staying up, all you need is a good cup run and a decent league finish and you might have some money to spend. Spend it well and move up to at least mid table, if you get it right in 5 years Hull might be a top 8 team or better!

Right, got there eventually! Cheers Eken, never knew about Imageshack.

So what's hideously wrong with these tactics anyone?

Would be good if anyone who has done well with Hull could paste theirs in, bearing in mind I use classic tactics and not the newer version.

- You are in atatcking mode, too risky(AI tends to play very high def line)

- Playing to wide, probably will get clobbered through the middle (AI loves to go that way)

- Passing short against oppositions that are probably better technically then you is not recommended(unless weather doesn't allow you to pass longer)

- Way to much closing down, you are getting caught out of position all the time probably.Plus closing is not working quite properly right now. They are fixing it in next patch.

- Passing is all over with flanks, if you are playing with 2 slow but tall and strong players in attack (as you are ) maybe you should focus on getting ball to them by air first.What you have right now is wingers get way ahead of your ST's and lose balls while waiting for them to catch up.

- Get someone faster on ST position in addition to one tall guy, you are being outpaced by BSN/S players right now.You can't play fast tempo with snails in your team,plus you need to stretch the field..

My suggestion make rigid standard 442 with all defaults other then roaming and creativity freedom(since you have none). Keep those to two on stick to position and more disciplined.

Make changes to formation and way you play only with TI in match.Make sure that you understand what each TI does to play though. Ultimately play 451 if nothing else works.

- You are in atatcking mode, too risky(AI tends to play very high def line)

- Playing to wide, probably will get clobbered through the middle (AI loves to go that way)

- Passing short against oppositions that are probably better technically then you is not recommended(unless weather doesn't allow you to pass longer)

- Way to much closing down, you are getting caught out of position all the time probably.Plus closing is not working quite properly right now. They are fixing it in next patch.

- Passing is all over with flanks, if you are playing with 2 slow but tall and strong players in attack (as you are ) maybe you should focus on getting ball to them by air first.What you have right now is wingers get way ahead of your ST's and lose balls while waiting for them to catch up.

- Get someone faster on ST position in addition to one tall guy, you are being outpaced by BSN/S players right now.You can't play fast tempo with snails in your team,plus you need to stretch the field..

My suggestion make rigid standard 442 with all defaults other then roaming and creativity freedom(since you have none). Keep those to two on stick to position and more disciplined.

Make changes to formation and way you play only with TI in match.Make sure that you understand what each TI does to play though. Ultimately play 451 if nothing else works.

Thanks, I'll bear your points in mind. These tactics worked well with Man U so your points about pace in the team are probably the main reason they don't work with a slower team like Hull.

I like to be very attacking and go for glory but it obviosuly just doesn't work with Hull.

I still think the player ratings are too low but I guess that's more down to the tactics than anything else.

If it were me, I'd move mendy to rightback and have mcshane in for Gardner. I'd play bullard as a box to box mildfielder but make him support. Geo has to play somewhere, even if it's out of position cos he's blatantly one of, if not your best player. The strike force seems pretty decent tho, when I bought ronaldo he scored a fair few goals off the bench.

Don't make them too attacking against the bigger teams but do so against the lesser ones (if that makes sense!!).

Anyway let us know if anything picks up.

Thanks, I'll bear your points in mind. These tactics worked well with Man U so your points about pace in the team are probably the main reason they don't work with a slower team like Hull.

I like to be very attacking and go for glory but it obviosuly just doesn't work with Hull.

I still think the player ratings are too low but I guess that's more down to the tactics than anything else.

As long you adjust your play to your team capabilities it should be fine.

In my second season with Sunderland(i was 4th first season) i already won LC , 1 point away from winning EPL (3 games left), in final for FA cup and ECC. All that with my best winger(performance wise) being Malbranque with pace 9 and best striker Cardozo with pace of 12.:D

Well, the morale of this team is at rock bottom.

They're lacking in belief and confidence which means fast attractive attacking football is out of the question.

They need a well earned 0 - 0 draw against superior opposition to help pick themselves up.

I would go rigidly defensive, with a deep line & two defensive central midfielders just in front of the back four - zonal marking and direct passing

When you have a weak side in FM 10 and you try to play any sort of attacking game you are not going to win. My manager bio says my managing style is "Extremely Cautious", which is because of this exact reason. I have had much success with weak teams but you need to play ultra defensive both home and away.

Try this:

Philiosphy = Rigid

Starting Strategy = Defensive

Passing: More Direct

Creative Freedom: More disciplined

Closing Down: Press More (you are narrow and not much closing down by default so this doesn't put too much risk in)

Roaming: Stick to position

Player roles depends on your team, but the key is all 4 defenders must be on defensive. Never let them move forward to get caught out of position because the second a stronger opponent has numbers on the break you are in big trouble, and considering the defensive style you cannot afford to give up goals from players being out of position. I like to use man + tight marking with my back 4 but I think you would be OK setting your fullbacks to zonal as well.

Archived