Buying Players: Anyone take stats into account?

I have a question for all the FM players: do you look at a player's history and check out his stats when deciding on transfers, or only attributes?

I buy lots of young players, so I don't usually have much to work with in the stats department, but when buying older players I try to see their goals scored, assists, average rating, etc. Still, I definitely weigh attributes and scouting reports higher.

For strikers I do. If I am looking for a guy to come in and guarantee me some goals it definately helps to see that they have done it before, especially at the same level I am currently at.

For other poisitons....strictly attributes.

I tend to the same. I will have a glance occasionally at other players Av Rating, but this can be misleading dependant on the players' cunnent club's tactics and where he's playing.

Stats are almost the only thing I look at throughout my games. I have my scouts searching for players at my level or higher and then use pre-saved filtering systems to find those that have the stats I need/want. My entire pre-season is taken up by me organising my training and transfers (both in and out) by these filters. I think I have over 400 filters.

Bestie.

For strikers I do. If I am looking for a guy to come in and guarantee me some goals it definately helps to see that they have done it before, especially at the same level I am currently at.

For other poisitons....strictly attributes.

(All of) what he said.

I look at average rating, especially for players older than 20. Previous performance has proven to be a pretty good predictor of performance for my team. I.e. a CM that has averaged 7.15 or better average rating for his team over 4 years, then joins my team and the trend is the same, if not slightly better average ratings.

For those relying on past average ratings of players, I recommend that you do not take it as your first benchmark. There is a slight issue with the quick engine generating higher ratings for background players: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=168476. So, it will be best you consult your valuable scouts first before plunging into a signing based on stats.

I no longer use scouts, I just choose players based on their attributes. It’s infinitely more fun, especially at lower league levels if you can uncover what turns out to be great buys from sub-conf n/s clubs. As such, the assistant manager advice when offering a contract is most unwanted!

I’ll look at injury record, ave rating etc, but at lower league level they sometimes don’t have ‘em, especially if you’re picking up free agents.

I take a detailed look at my own players stats and attribute movements (which involves a fair bit of work pasting screenies onto spreadsheets) when deciding who to promote to the first team, offload etc.

Stats are almost the only thing I look at throughout my games. I have my scouts searching for players at my level or higher and then use pre-saved filtering systems to find those that have the stats I need/want. My entire pre-season is taken up by me organising my training and transfers (both in and out) by these filters. I think I have over 400 filters.

Bestie.

Having actually read other people's replies I realised that what I was thinking of as stats (misread the OP) are in fact attributes. So yeah, I use attributes rather than stats. :rolleyes:

Bestie.

Archived