Reputation - flaw or (my) fault?

Koki

Things all seemed strange in my current Ajax savegame. At first the bookies played down my chances of winning the league year for year and now I'm not even in the list of top clubs Holland anymore.

I have to admit, my managing hasn't been great, I only managed to win 1 domestic cup in 5 years but I always came in at least 3rd and qualified for the Euro League. While I have to replace my best players every year, I'm a bit of a Wenger-type and don't invest huge transfer fees in replacements but rather sign young talents. But this got harder and harder, I was allowed to only have 6 coaches and so I investigated for reasons. What I found: My Ajax side starts with a reputation of about 7,200 in the editor and within 5 years I'm now at 5,100. As I said I haven't had any major success but still it seems a bit harsh, taking into consideration that I always finished in the Top 3 and made it to Europe. By the way I increased my clubs finances by 100 mil in these 5 years.

What are the reasons my reputation decreased so drastically? What reasons contribute to it in general (except for the lack of success of course). How can I increase my reputation again (besides titles)? Do you think such heavy reputation losses are realistic? Share your thoughts! Thanks!

Titles are the key to reputation though, undoubtledly if you stop becoming a regular league winner, and especially if you start regularly playing in the uefa cup rather than the champion league your reputation will decrease. All I can suggest is to start winning some silverware! :)

I believe the reputation of the players, coaching and the manager contribute to the overal reputation to the team as well (not sure though). You say you've had to sell of your best players - Luis Suarez being a prime example I'm assuming - and you've replaced them with lower rep youngsters. Factor in the lack of trophies then inevitably the overall reputation is going to take a hit.

I don't know if such a descrease is common as there is lack of research on the subject. Maybe someone could look into it a bit more?

But how come that I have a lower reputation than 6 other clubs (PSV, AZ, Feyenoord, Groningen, Heerenveen, Twente) in the country, they can't be winning league and Europe titles regularly?

(Or does the 'major clubs' list on the nation overview either not show the human club or refer to reputation?)

But how come that I have a lower reputation than 6 other clubs (PSV, AZ, Feyenoord, Groningen, Heerenveen, Twente) in the country, they can't be winning league and Europe titles regularly?

(Or does the 'major clubs' list on the nation overview either not show the human club or refer to reputation?)

Perhaps their scouting is less good or their transfer policy differs to yours and so they're signing more well known players.

I think maybe AZ, PSV and Feyenoord would have higher rep players. Heerenveen and Twente have good sqauds. Not sure about Groningen.

I can tell you that the major clubs list on the nation overview is effected by club reputation. At the beginning of the 2009/2010 season, my Arsenal side were fourth on that list behind Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool. Man City and Tottenham were below me. Three years later in 2012 Man Utd are still top, but I'm now second.

It seems a harsh decrease one the one hand. On the other hand, 7200 may be a bit much to start with and after 5 years of winning nothing in a not-so-big league, no club will be considered top-notch anymore.

Euro League is reached every year by many, so I too wouldn't rate that too highly.

jayahr: I don't feel like going right now to look at the database to prove what I am saying, but I am fairly confident that 5100 is bellow ANY club in the premier league right now. Don't you think that is a tad too low for a club that wasn't even once bellow 3rd place in the dutch league?

Archived